The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Clone Wars is peak Star Wars content imo, I'd take it over the OG trilogy

But that's the thing, you can flesh things out so much more over multiple seasons than you ever could over three movies

Agreed, it makes me wonder what a series that retold the events of the entire prequel trilogy would look like. Or even the better, an Old Republic series.

Anyways, glad we could talk about this in this thread. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Cheers 1

Justice finally for Trevor too

He hired Benning

Then Benning goes over his head and tells Aqua how he can make the team and core a winner  faster 

More justice with Aqua  to now pay 2 coaches, 2 GM'S and how many new assistances because of not listening to his president who has the long term best interests of the team in mind

Aqua said 3 years ago there are no short cuts  to be a winner rebuilding and yet that is something they always did

I love Garland, but even doing what they did last summer to remove all JB past short cuts was just another short cut

We won't make the playoffs this year, and with all that free money could have thought of what kind of team you wanna build, Dancers,? or a good mix of both

Lets see how the guys respond, I think if Boeser does not respond he will be the one going and Miller staying?

I will have mixed feelings if they can just turn it on now, as i don't want quitters on the team, while still being paid to play

I think i would look to trade them when they raise their value if they had just stopped trying to have someone fired

Do as those people say and do your job, and let fate decide everyones outcome

Not the type of drama queens i would want on my team if they get upset again and quit again on team mates and fans

They obviously would not have the team mentality to take us to the top if that was the case

They already don't support or stand up for one another as it is

I hope the new regime rectifies the weak mentality and selfishness of just playing as individuals

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Guess, JB was not willing to admit - right now - that he made a mistake re signing Green; and it seems, he stuck to his decision to support Green, at the cost of his job.   Glad, Weisbrod is gone as well.   I was hoping, JB would stay till the end of his contract but he seems loyal to his guys - to a fault.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t hear much about Chris Gear to be honest. Another guy with no experience. Hey. At least he’s cheap. 

Chris Gear was very instrumental in working with Robert Esche in bringing AHL hockey to Utica. He has a lot more experience in setting up and running a franchise than most on here are aware of.

Robert Esche had nothing but praise for all the assistance that Chris Gear provided to him in setting up the Utica Comets franchise.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Agreed, it makes me wonder what a series that retold the events of the entire prequel trilogy would look like. Or even the better, an Old Republic series.

Anyways, glad we could talk about this in this thread. 

You might get your wish, we'll see some follow up to Rebels in the upcoming Ahsoka series and my understanding is they're remaking the old KOTOR games

There's def interest in going further back than the prequels 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Guess, JB was not willing to admit - right now - that he made a mistake re signing Green; and it seems, he stuck to his decision to support Green, at the cost of his job.   Glad, Weisbrod is gone as well.

Benning and Green are old time players; they are very loyal.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

you know even though i accept Benning dismissals as GM! we cant ignore the prospects he hand picked through the draft! myb Canucks owners could take that into perspective. hire Jim as a scout for picks through the draft! just a thought! I sure hope whoever we hire as our new GM does a better job acquiring players as well as signing players! theres still work that needs to get done to be successful down the road! 

Remember that we have a scouting team… Benning just nod his head at the end.

So the scouts driving their ideas forward is what’s important.

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning and Green are led time players; they are very loyal.  

Yeah: just stated, that despite JBs' flaws, he seems loyal.  Don't agree, that he was let go but he seems to had not agreed, that the time is now to let go of Green.  Seems the season ticket holders, had influenced these moves before the 30 game mark 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Remember that we have a scouting team… Benning just nod his head at the end.

So the scouts driving their ideas forward is what’s important.

Remember that Benning also picked the one dud in the top 10 of the 2016 draft. 

He’s definitely hit some home runs but at the same time there are other GMs who did just as well or better with similar picks in that span.

Still only has one NHL defenseman to show for all those drafts.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

The question is now what is the direction of the team now going forward? We hired Boudreau which means we’re still gunning for playoffs this year. New management though will have their work cut out for them. Will they retool the squad during this year and go for the playoffs or will they commit to another rebuild which we’ve been through for the last decade since our 2011 Cup run.... lots of things for the new management whoever we hire next to consider