The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s a pretty obvious and glaring need - somethings going to happen.

I could also see a younger player (hoglander?) being packaged with a guy like Myers or Hamonic to try and shake things up as well.

Not sure that’s enough to land a top RHD though.

Isn't that basically what Benning did to get Garland and OEL? A 1st for three underachievers? 

10 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If we go on some miracle run under Boudreau with this same roster and make the playoffs then Benning would be vindicated and most of CDC should eat crow. I still don’t think he was the issue, I love our team as constructed, just not how it performed. I also think it’s a major mistake to not have him at the head of drafting anymore. If you think his drafting was bad, just wait to see what comes out of this new group. He was our best drafter in decades and we’re going to sorrily miss him in that aspect, just wait.

Regardless I wish him the best in the future and hope the new GM has success. In the end I want a Stanley Cup one day and I don’t care who it takes to get it for the Canucks.

If your scenario plays out, then it's still JB fault for not firing Green when he had the chance and to hire Boudreau.  It took Aquilini to fire Green to hire Boudreau. JB certainly can get credit for creating the roster.  But he's the GM.  He's gets all the credit (when things go well) and the blame (when things go bad).

Edited by BPA
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't that basically what Benning did to get Garland and OEL? A 1st for three underachievers? 

Yeah, that was a heck of a trade.

Hopefully we can use roster players this time instead of giving up another pick, though. Lots of time to figure that out - hopefully Boudreau can give some feedback to management on who (if anyone) should be traded.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Benning was a big part of the process,  the process failed. Unfortunate,  but true. 

Way too many mistakes.  His building of the locker room by over paying for character alone was enough considering the gaffs he made ruining it . 

He made too many costly errors that didn't pay off. Most GM'S would never get that much rope. He should be grateful he lasted as long as he did . 

He was a part yes, but his job is to get the guys on the roster.  Coaches take it from there.  Our coaches were not good enough and JB isn't to blame for that as far as I see it.  Wish him the best, look forward to the future.

11 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If we go on some miracle run under Boudreau with this same roster and make the playoffs then Benning would be vindicated and most of CDC should eat crow. I still don’t think he was the issue, I love our team as constructed, just not how it performed. I also think it’s a major mistake to not have him at the head of drafting anymore. If you think his drafting was bad, just wait to see what comes out of this new group. He was our best drafter in decades and we’re going to sorrily miss him in that aspect, just wait.

Regardless I wish him the best in the future and hope the new GM has success. In the end I want a Stanley Cup one day and I don’t care who it takes to get it for the Canucks.

Our d core is &^@#ing terrible. In year 8. He was incompetent.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately his trades were his biggest problem.

He kept doubling down with picks and prospects and squeezing the cap to the point he had no cards left to play.

Now our prospect pool is weak and we’re stuck with more inflated contracts. 

He constructed a team that on paper looked to be a playoff team but at the end of the day he has to take responsibility for their failure. He was no closer to building a contender than when he arrived.

Our prospect pool isn't weak - not when you had GIllis as a GM. Now THAT was a weak prospect pool.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think they have lots of quality people that are more than capable of running the show.  They can easily finish this year by filling the job from within.  Maybe long term. 

Smyl and Ryan Johnson are both qualified.

Smyl can barely string a sentence together 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1