The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

One thing's for sure: the players need to figure it out. Aquaman cleaned house, it's on them now. If there are still issues then some of them will be the next to go. 

I like the group we have so I sincerely hope the toxicity and whatever has ailed that lockerroom came down to the off ice staff. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Not when the core he drafted wins us a cup. The coaching staff and the lack of experience around him were the problem. To only place the blame on Benning is laughable 

He left a very good core, something he didn't have at all. He had an uphill battle from day 1. Wish him all the best and pray the new gm keeps this young core.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

As someone who entirely supported Benning through the vast majority of his time here this is very bitter sweet. I really and truely beileved in what Benning was doing here. He obviously made some glaring mistakes throughout his tenure, but I always like the direction. It is really difficult to see this team struggle this badly. I look forward to the next chapter of Canucks hockey.

To be totally honest, I didn't hate everything he did. There was even a point a few years ago where I considered myself a supporter, but years of cap mismanagement, expensive bandaid fixes and not building a proper defence caught up with him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1