Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic


-Vintage Canuck-

Recommended Posts

Just now, -AJ- said:

Right, yeah. Garland and OEL aren't any good--what a bad trade. Dump the Benning core with guys like Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Miller, Demko etc.

 

This roster is fine, but they're massively underperforming, hence why I believe coaching changes were what was needed. 

 

That said, I also don't think Benning was a particularly great GM either. I'll move on, but if we see success instantly this year after these moves, don't come to me saying it's because we hired a new GM unless that GM makes big changes.

Saying the roster is “fine” is just major coping to be honest.

  • Wat 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Saying the roster is “fine” is just major coping to be honest.

Take a look at all the players on the roster and tell me how many are performing as good as they usually do. When all of a sudden, players perform badly, that's not the GM's fault.

 

Are you gonna tell me that Petey, Brock, and Horvat's woes are because of Benning? Interestingly, one of the guys Benning did pick up in Garland is performing well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Who you got as a replacement, Sid?

Probably never gonna happen in Vancouver, but I’d be going hard after Eric Tulsky (Carolina AGM and analytics wizard) if I was hiring a new GM.

 

And then I’d try to put a more traditional “hockey man” with name recognition in as PoHO.

 

Jeff Gorton was my pick for Canucks PoHO, but he’s already gone (Montreal).

 

Still mulling over some other options.

 

But Tulsky is my guy. I expect to be disappointed though. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I am not so sure about Green, fumbling a young star studded forward group kinda looks bad. Similarly Eakins had to go back to the A to regain his name. Benning I definitely can see getting an AGM job somewhere. He really is a solid draft oriented hockey mind. He just struggled with literally every other facet of the job.

Green might not get back into the NHL right away, but he could land an AHL gig

 

If he's serious about coaching that's what he'll take 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably never gonna happen in Vancouver, but I’d be going hard after Eric Tulsky (Carolina AGM and analytics wizard) if I was hiring a new GM.

 

And then I’d try to put a more traditional “hockey man” with name recognition in as PoHO.

 

Jeff Gorton was my pick for Canucks PoHO, but he’s already gone (Montreal).

 

Still mulling over some other options.

 

But Tulsky is my guy. I expect to be disappointed though. :lol:

Hard no to an analytics dweeb in charge.  You need a qualified hockey guy in that position

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Take a look at all the players on the roster and tell me how many are performing as good as they usually do. When all of a sudden, players perform badly, that's not the GMs fault.

 

Are you gonna tell me that Petey, Brock, and Horvat's woes are because of Benning? Interestingly, one of the guys Benning did pick up in Garland is performing well.

I think it's because the defense sucks. JB put together 2 top 4 guys and everyone else is a 5/6 guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Careful, it's a long way down from that pedestal. 

HA!   The ironing is delicious.  

ps - the new Chapter of Canuckdom awaits.  I’ll be cheering from afar in this new era as I promised myself in 2011 that I’d wait to leave before all players from that team had moved on before making a decision, but I liked what I saw from this summer with the Garland/OEL trade and so I figured I’d stay on for a bit even though Edler was leaving.  It is fitting that my tenure (for now) ends on the day that Benning and Green got gassed seeing as how I’ve been a huge Benning supporter and advocate from Day One.

 

Cheers all.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a relief!  Not saying I didn't support a lot of his moves, but the bad ones were really bad.  Above all, the dysfunctional vibe around the team has grown to the crisis point, and letting him address the media one more time would have been an insult to all parties concerned.  This is a mercy hook, and one that everyone needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Right, yeah. Garland and OEL aren't any good--what a bad trade. Dump the Benning core with guys like Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Miller, Demko etc.

 

This roster is fine, but they're massively underperforming, hence why I believe coaching changes were what was needed. 

 

That said, I also don't think Benning was a particularly great GM either. I'll move on, but if we see success instantly this year after these moves, don't come to me saying it's because we hired a new GM unless that GM makes big changes.

No..just the fact he had to do that trade should have been reason enough...let's see..McCann for gudbrandson..ericcson signing...all the 4th line ridiculous 3 million plus contracts.. Tyler Myers.. Tucker Poolman..not signing Tanev..sending madden to LA for a good top six forward..then not signing...and then signing tanner Pearson instead..the list goes on and on and on...his draft picks were fine...but mostly no Brainers..just an absolute unmitigated disaster.  Thankful its over.

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shekky changed the title to [Report] Jim Rutherford to join Canucks
  • -Vintage Canuck- unfeatured and unpinned this topic

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...