The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte, do we really need him??

Rate this topic

86Viking

Spin off thread episode 3 now??

Tyler Motte is a pending UFA, I want us to keep Motte or "Clamato as I like to call him for fun". Tyler Motte shows up every single game to play! Just like our main man Burrows did for us! Tyler Motte is a very good penalty killer who has chipped in some short handed goals for us. Motte is a bit injury prone some might say, but he plays the game hard and finishes his checks and he is NOT afraid to block shots on the PK all while sacrificing his body to do it.

Tyler Motte is a versatile player, he was very offensive in College but adapted his playing style to carve out what I think has been a good NHL career so far. He is young enough to fit in with our team for a few more years and might blossom on an offensive minded third line under Boudreau. So to me, once we hire a new GM and he gets to assess the team I hope we try to reach out to Motte's agent and lock him up for a few more years. Of course the big question is at what cost term and cap hit wise? 3-5 years @ or under 2m per? He reminds me of Kraken F Tanev, maybe not exactly the same and I hope not going to cost near that term or cap hit either.

If the new GM does not want to retain Motte after this year that would be unfortunate but it would be a "Must Trade" at the TDL. Could we get a 2nd round pick for Motte? Would we be looking to try and get a younger C or defensive D in return and a later pick?

Anyways, I know this is not a new style of thread but it was successful in the past and I really hope we keep Motte around for a while, guy has been through a lot in life and spoke out about it which I give him credit and thank him for doing that. First we had Burrows then Hansen now Motte is our "Swiss Army Knife" all situations player who could be put on any line and contribute with his tenacious forecheck and 100% effort night in night out!

Thanks for reading if you got this far, now discuss his future with us and a potential contract extension term and $$ wise...

• Like 1

Hartman is probably the type of deal that Motte could get on the open market if he's healthy for the rest of the year.   He's got untapped offense as well.   Possibly something like Dickinson got from a desperate team that needs a PKer like him.    We for sure need Motte too.   Think he's earned a 3 year deal in the 2 million range at this point.   And he's in his prime.    Motte would be a great vet for the young guys as well.   His play is inspiring. 

Edit:  Motte is what GMs hope their second rounders might end up like.

What we should really be considering, is what happens once Miller and Horvat become free agents.    Losing both those for nothing would kill this cores best chances to do something in their peak primes.   Either that or we have to jam them in as UFAs.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How’s our PK with Motte?  

Lockwood can replace Motte’s minutes.  If Motte returns a second and a third we should move him.  

Our PK got better with Motte. It was a tire fire without him. If Lockwood is ready, play him. I have no problem trading him. However, I do not want to regress further on the PK. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How’s our PK with Motte?  

Lockwood can replace Motte’s minutes.  If Motte returns a second and a third we should move him.  

Our PK is much better with Motte being back. 
Have you watched Lockwood yet?   
He isn’t ready at all, let alone to replace a firecracker like Motte.   

• Like 1

Re-sign him at $2M x 3 yr.  Any more than that, trade him. 

He makes the PK better.  But there's only so much cap space to go around.  Can't be handing out $$ all over the place.  Also can't hand out NTC like candy too.

18 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Agree, a trade for a draft pick makes sense. Motte seem to me to be the type of player whose body breakdowns after a few good years given his style of play. For that reason I would be inclined to move him at this stage of his career.

That’s what we thought about Tanev, who is playing the best hockey of his career with the flames…….

• Cheers 1

I'm going to go against the grain and say that Benning tried bringing in penalty killers, but none of them have performed as Motte consistently does every game. I realize he doesn't have a ton of scoring talent, but he performs his role very well.

Assuming he would be willing to maintain a low salary, I'd rather keep him on board rather than test the waters to see who else we could bring in who may or may not work out.

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Re-sign him at $2M x 3 yr.  Any more than that, trade him. 

He makes the PK better.  But there's only so much cap space to go around.  Can't be handing out $$ all over the place.  Also can't hand out NTC like candy too.

Consider how much better Motte's game would be with a better d-core. How much better with a higher FO %. That said the rule has to be that pending FA are traded unless re-signed. 

Just now, Boudrias said:

Consider how much better Motte's game would be with a better d-core. How much better with a higher FO %. That said the rule has to be that pending FA are traded unless re-signed. 

Yup.

Sick of getting absolutely nothing when a UFA walks away.  Motte would net a 2nd at the trade deadline.   A 3rd or 4th before free agency. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

How’s our PK with Motte?  

Usually agree  with you but Motte is the ideal guy to have on the pk and bottom six. He's easily our best pker and I've learned to stop assuming our young guys can fill the voids of departing vets. Zak is a minus 10 and has 1 point in 20 games, Gaj has been useless in SJ as has Lind in Seattle. 3 guys most had penciled in this season.

Our pk still sucks but has been much better with him on it. For what we would get in a trade I don't see the point. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Usually agree  with you but Motte is the ideal guy to have on the pk and bottom six. He's easily our best pker and I've learned to stop assuming our young guys can fill the voids of departing vets. Zak is a minus 10 and has 1 point in 20 games, Gaj has been useless in SJ as has Lind in Seattle. 3 guys most had penciled in this season.

Our pk still sucks but has been much better with him on it. For what we would get in a trade I don't see the point. 

I agree with this. Motte is still young, brings a lot of energy, and is a great penalty killer. He also has 16 goals in his last 75 games, which is incredible production for a bottom 6. Because of his injuries I don't think he is worth a tonne but I would be happy with 3x1.75 per year 

• Upvote 1

I say we keep him simply because every time he is in the lineup we are a slightly better team.  He doesn't put up big numbers but he has that certain intangible thing that can't be measured - he's got lots of clam sauce.  If more people put out the effort that Motte did we'd have a lot more wins.  And his energy and enthusiasm is infectious.  Keep the energy guys and let the lazy guys go I say.  GCG!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

How’s our PK with Motte?  

Much better actually.   Take out the 5 on 3 PIT goals ... or leave them they did kill a 5 on 3 in OTT.   It's better with him, he's our best forward PKer by far at the moment.   Miller doesn't know what he's doing and it shows ... Pearson is ok but underwhelming, and Dickinson face off PK was at 28% ... he was never brought in to be a 3rd C that just happened because of injuries and EP not playing like a top six player - forcing Miller to keep insulating him.    Too bad Sutter isn't ready but at 1 million that's the why right there.   Otherwise he'd get more somewhere else with term.  Pity things played out / but maybe that's what we needed all along.   Let's see what Bruce can do next.  

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Yup.

Sick of getting absolutely nothing when a UFA walks away.  Motte would net a 2nd at the trade deadline.   A 3rd or 4th before free agency. 

That was Bennings mo.

Hamhuis Tanev Markstrom Toffoli there's more that's just off the top of my head.

Terrible gm

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs