The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte, do we really need him??

Rate this topic

86Viking

sure, trade motte and then petition the league to allow the canucks to just automatically concede a goal instead of sticking a guy in the penalty box. that way they keep those 2 minutes for trying to mount the comeback. 

Motte is a Sedinless Burrows.

He’s a relentless motor and an inspiration on how to play the game when you don’t have all of the skills in the world.

Boeser and Pettersson ought to take a couple of pointers from Motte.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You won’t get back anything significant imo.

Even if someone offers a 2nd is it worth it?

not in my book. Players like Work like Motte are rare

Are we going to re-sign him though?  And at how much, if we do?  If we can return a second and a third (which I think he will) then we should move him.  

I love Motte!  Hence the name!  However, I think given where this team is at if he can net a 2nd or a 3rd round pick at the deadline trade him and potentially resign him in the off season.  He loves Vancouver, unless we trade one of Pearson, Myers or Miller by the ends of the year we will not have the cap space for him.

would a 4yr deal around 6-7m be fair for an extension? 1.5-1.75m cap hit till his age 31 season is complete if we went 4 years, so to me the term is fine. He has had some injuries, reminds me of Tanev but is a F. Sound defensive player that won't score a ton but I think would be surely missed if we let him walk...much like how Tanev is missed since we let him go.

1.5-1.8 seems fair for Motter. He's got little offensive production and is a winger. If he were a center, for sure I'd give him 2+ mil per. But again, for a defensive undersize winger we shouldn't push for more than 1.8 if it can be helped. But if push comes to shove I'd be okay overpaying him. We don't have much in the way of 4th line talent. And none that can replace him directly. Especially with Gadjovich gone. Lockwood is RW so that doesn't help.

• 2 months later...

Can we sign this guy to  contract extension already...Motte is worth far more to our team than a draft pick we could get at this TDL. Our team lacks speed and players who show up EVERY night, why trade one of the only guys who does both!?!?

4-5 years at 1.5-2m per??