The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Early Take - New GM “The Group” and Bruce Boudreau

Rate this topic

Johnny Torts

First off, I love our General Manager,  isn’t “The Group” just the coolest nickname for a GM?

Love Steamer and I hope he ultimately steps up to POHO and stays there for a long time, or just flourishes as a GM.

Anyways…

Coaching was the problem.

Jim Benning not firing the coach earlier was also the problem.

What are your thoughts of how the Canucks are playing under the new regime?

I’m not done. 

Why did Pettersson feel closer to Boudreau to go to him and ask about being on the PK? 

Why does Boudreau trust Pettersson on the dot? 

Why is this team immediately doing better playing a 2-3 style? 

This seems to me like the reason why Jim Benning not dismissing Green earlier is frustrating, and the ultimate reason why he is not here. Despite all the other July 1st BS, and the bad trades.

Because of JB and TG, the fans that are HEAVILY invested into this team and are educated, we’re left scratching there heads as to WHY a team that is decent enough on paper to atleast go .500 throughout the season, is struggling this badly.

Travis is a good coach, but I think there’s a bias after multiple years with the same org. 

Benning, ultimately, had too big of an ego to admit there’s things he did wrong and fix it. 

Thanks for listening to my BS btw appreciate y’all.

• Like 1

Love seeing Petey on the PK.  So much more speed through the neutral zone and generating chances on the rush.  Much more pressure on the puck carrier in our own zone.  Offensive players being given the freedom to create 

Overall, the guys are playing as a team and seem to be having fun playing the game again.  What's not to like?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

according to Corey Hirsch on Donnie and Dhali JB and Wiesbrod pretty much stopped communicating with the rest of the organization which clearly can't be a good thing and there was a lot of finger pointing I mean its only speculation but at any rate times have changed and now lets see how this organization can bounce back under a new management group

• Like 2

Just now, King Heffy said:

Love seeing Petey on the PK.  So much more speed through the neutral zone and generating chances on the rush.  Much more pressure on the puck carrier in our own zone.  Offensive players being given the freedom to create 

Overall, the guys are playing as a team and seem to be having fun playing the game again.  What's not to like?

Right? 

It’s hockey. PK, PP, whatever. It’s hockey. And Petey is good at hockey. IQ and $&!#, right? 

58 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Like I said in PGT, it's very common to get a big boost after a big coaching change.  Especially in a toxic environment like ours was. Hopefully,  Bruce can sustain it like he has in the past. Others haven't been as successful after a hot start as the new voice. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Like I said in PGT, it's very common to get a big boost after a big coaching change.  Especially in a toxic environment like ours was. Hopefully,  Bruce can sustain it like he has in the past. Others haven't been as successful after a hot start as the new voice. 

Indeed, but I think that the specific changes he's made play better to the team's style.  Green was also clearly destroying the confidence of our top players, so removing that cancer from the equation will automatically help.  I'm not expecting this kind of result every night, but I do think there will be a significant improvement for at least the rest of the season.

• Cheers 1

It's simple:  Green didn't know what the hell he was doing, and tried to pretend dump and chase was a good strategy in the 21st century NHL for a group of professional athletes who could do a whole lot more, but knew that they wouldn't be allowed to play according to their skills and talent-level, and so, they didn't.  Just one game, but I think Coach BB went in there, told them to just have some goddamn fun and take some pride in what they were doing, told them he wouldn't crap on them if they made mistakes, showed them what was possible if they trusted him by running some tape from past teams/games he had coached, and lo and behold, they won.  Green killed this team, killed his Gm, and almost killed hockey in Vancouver.  Bye Green and his band of merry idiots, bye Benning and his tendency to, "you know", make bad decisions, and good riddance to bad rubbish.  I heard the emotion and care in the Steamer's voice when he was talking about the future, I could see the emotion and excitement in Bruce's presser, and that more than anything gives me hope for the future, more than Mumbling Benning and "Let's protect that 0-0 tie we have and grind the potential out of our players" Green ever gave me.          

5 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

It's simple:  Green didn't know what the hell he was doing, and tried to pretend dump and chase was a good strategy in the 21st century NHL for a group of professional athletes who could do a whole lot more, but knew that they wouldn't be allowed to play according to their skills and talent-level, and so, they didn't.  Just one game, but I think Coach BB went in there, told them to just have some goddamn fun and take some pride in what they were doing, told them he wouldn't crap on them if they made mistakes, showed them what was possible if they trusted him by running some tape from past teams/games he had coached, and lo and behold, they won.  Green killed this team, killed his Gm, and almost killed hockey in Vancouver.  Bye Green and his band of merry idiots, bye Benning and his tendency to, "you know", make bad decisions, and good riddance to bad rubbish.  I heard the emotion and care in the Steamer's voice when he was talking about the future, I could see the emotion and excitement in Bruce's presser, and that more than anything gives me hope for the future, more than Mumbling Benning and "Let's protect that 0-0 tie we have and grind the potential out of our players" Green ever gave me.          

Atleast when they’re dumping right now, we are running an aggressive 2-3 system to retrieve the puck. 

It’s honestly a breath of fresh air.

Pettersson looked like himself, even though he didn’t score a goal tonight. His line was the most dynamic one out there. 

If this works and I think it will, Pettersson, Garland and Podkolzin are going to make each other very &^@#ing rich throughout their career.

And Boeser. 

&^@#.

Talk about coachable. The &^@#ing guy ripped one from the point on his first shift after spinning because Bruce told him to. I was one of the people “ok” with trading him until I’ve seen him being happy and actually vibing today. And taking words from his coach seriously and wanted to produce for the city. &^@#ing stud. 

Just everyone enjoying how they are playing, smiling, enjoying themselves. 

I love my team and my city and my fellow fans. 

I refuse us to be categorized as toxic, but instead, educated fans. We are the voices that will build a cup champion. Not just a GM, POHO, or coach. We understand that having competent people in their respective positions will get us there.

• Like 3

Its one game.

Boudreau has had zero effect on change in one day, except his presence alone.

Want to know why we won today,  and in convincing fashion?  Because these guys played like they gave a **** for the 1st time this season.

Only because they want to make an impression on the new guy.

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

Right? 

It’s hockey. PK, PP, whatever. It’s hockey. And Petey is good at hockey. IQ and $&!#, right? 

Gretzky and Kurri thrived on the PK.  Gretzky has scored the most PK goals in NHL history.  Bure also was a force on the PK.  He has the most PK goals in Canucks history.  With Bure he was a threat to score on the PK so teams had to pay attention to that and it affected their PP play.

Petey on the PK makes sense as he is elusive and has a long stick, and if he can steal the puck he can go all the way and score like Bure.  If you put enough pressure on the Dmen your PK can be effective at scoring goals.  A good defense is a good offense even on the PK.  

5 hours ago, Shekky said:

according to Corey Hirsch on Donnie and Dhali JB and Wiesbrod pretty much stopped communicating with the rest of the organization which clearly can't be a good thing and there was a lot of finger pointing I mean its only speculation but at any rate times have changed and now lets see how this organization can bounce back under a new management group

Never heard nothing from Weisbrod and I wonder, how much of the mess was on him.

Hirsch dropping another nugget 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, cuporbust said:

You called it and let's see how long the honeymoon will last cause Boudreau seems to understand, your point as well, with his cautious demeanor during the pressers - imo.    Looking forward to the tougher match up and if, the team can build an identity of a tough match up every game - despite the score -, is probably, the best we can hope for in this season.  

This presser indicates the same sentiment of, just building an identity

https://www.tsn.ca/video/boudreau-shares-his-goals-for-canucks-likes-the-pieces-he-has-to-work-with~2337141

5 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

First off, I love our General Manager,  isn’t “The Group” just the coolest nickname for a GM?

Love Steamer and I hope he ultimately steps up to POHO and stays there for a long time, or just flourishes as a GM.

Anyways…

Coaching was the problem.

Jim Benning not firing the coach earlier was also the problem.

What are your thoughts of how the Canucks are playing under the new regime?

I’m not done. 

Why did Pettersson feel closer to Boudreau to go to him and ask about being on the PK? 

Why does Boudreau trust Pettersson on the dot? 

Why is this team immediately doing better playing a 2-3 style? 

This seems to me like the reason why Jim Benning not dismissing Green earlier is frustrating, and the ultimate reason why he is not here. Despite all the other July 1st BS, and the bad trades.

Because of JB and TG, the fans that are HEAVILY invested into this team and are educated, we’re left scratching there heads as to WHY a team that is decent enough on paper to atleast go .500 throughout the season, is struggling this badly.

Travis is a good coach, but I think there’s a bias after multiple years with the same org. 

Benning, ultimately, had too big of an ego to admit there’s things he did wrong and fix it. 

Thanks for listening to my BS btw appreciate y’all.

Not sure about steamer as GM or PoHO.  Imo, JB & Green in the right roles, can be an asset and there tenure with the Canucks had proven, they were not ready to be the main guy.  Aquaman gambled with both; and imo, JB seemed to be more willing to admit to his mistakes, whilst, Green seemed stubborn till the end.   

4 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Its one game.

Boudreau has had zero effect on change in one day, except his presence alone.

Want to know why we won today,  and in convincing fashion?  Because these guys played like they gave a **** for the 1st time this season.

Only because they want to make an impression on the new guy.

Did you watch the game? They played a completely different style. 

I get that there was a little extra effort but the system was very different. 

• Upvote 1