The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CSIS Warns Trudeau of Sophisticated Misinformation Tactics

Industrious1

Security issues in Canada.  Can Trudeau fix this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spy agency warned Trudeau China's tactics becoming more 'sophisticated ... insidious' | CBC News Loaded
Politics

Spy agency warned Trudeau China's tactics becoming more 'sophisticated ... insidious'

Social Sharing

CSIS says foreign interference operations 'have become normalized'

catharine-tunney.jpg
Catharine Tunney · CBC News · Posted: Dec 07, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

g20-summit.jpg
China's President Xi Jinping and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attend a working session at the G20 Summit in Osaka, Japan on June 29, 2019. (Kazuhiro Nogi/pool via Reuters)

As Canada's spy agency warns that China's efforts to distort the news and influence media outlets in Canada "have become normalized," critics are renewing calls for Ottawa to take a far tougher approach to foreign media interference.

The warning is contained in briefing documents drafted for Canadian Security Intelligence Service Director David Vigneault in preparation for a meeting he had with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau earlier this year.

That meeting focused on the rise of foreign interference in Canada — something CSIS says has become "more sophisticated, frequent, and insidious."

One way foreign states — including the People's Republic of China (PRC) — try to exert pressure on other countries is through media outlets, say the documents, obtained through an access to information request.

"In particular, PRC media influence activities in Canada have become normalized," it reads.

"Chinese-language media outlets operating in Canada and members of the Chinese-Canadian community are primary targets of PRC-directed foreign influenced activities."

csis-gov-justice-20200716.jpg
CSIS director David Vigneault holds a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Thursday, July 16, 2020. (Sean Kilpatrick/The Canadian Press)

CSIS spokesperson John Townsend said foreign states target both mainstream media outlets — print publications, radio and television programs — and non-traditional online outlets and social media channels to pursue their goals.

"Mainstream news outlets, as well as community sources, may also be targeted by foreign states who attempt to shape public opinion, debate, and covertly influence participation in the democratic process," he said.

"Considering Canada's rich multicultural makeup, foreign states may try to leverage or coerce individuals within communities to help influence to their benefit what is being reported by Canadian media outlets."

China has an effective influence network, report finds

It's a tactic former Conservative MP Kenny Chiu said he knows all too well. He said he was targeted during the recent federal election by a misinformation campaign run through Chinese language media outlets and social media.

"If that's the normal behaviour, then we should really become concerned," he said. 

Chiu said he was attacked online as anti-Chinese after introducing a private member's bill that would require agents of foreign governments to register and report on their activities. He lost the B.C. riding of Steveston-Richmond East to Liberal Parm Bains by almost 3,000 votes.

"I just felt, first of all, very sad. I feel ridiculous. I feel sad because some of my fellow Canadians of Chinese descent, why would they even believe in this information?" he said.

kenny-chiu.jpg
Former Conservative MP Kenny Chiu says he felt targeted by misinformation during the last election campaign. (Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press)

Earlier this year, Alliance Canada Hong Kong — an umbrella group for Hong Kong pro-democracy activists in this country — released a report alleging the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) runs a sophisticated network that inserts Beijing-friendly narratives into various media outlets.

The report says China has been exploiting a lack of oversight in short-staffed newsrooms to push the party line abroad.

It says China sometimes pushes those narratives in the open — through sponsored posts or advertorial inserts written by Chinese party-state media — while groups closely tied to Chinese authorities buy digital or print ads parroting party rhetoric.

"It's meant to portray that it's indicative they're the group that speaks on behalf of all Chinese folks, all the Canadian Chinese, which is just not true," said Ai-Men Lau, an adviser with Alliance Canada Hong Kong.

China also uses its toehold in Canadian ethnic Chinese media to keep journalists in line, she said. 

"For years, reporters in ethnic media are often required to self-censor themselves or face uprisings. We've seen journalists being fired. If they take a certain line, they don't get their columns posted anymore in ethnic media," she said. 

Alliance Canada Hong Kong's report says Beijing influences voices in mainstream media outlets as well.

"In the mainstream media, vocal supporters wooed through elite capture deliver Beijing's messages in op-eds and media appearances, helping to sway popular perceptions," says the report.

The CSIS briefing note said a number of countries (their names are blacked-out in the note) work to undermine Canada's political processes at the federal, provincial and municipal levels, and within Indigenous governments.

'Persistent targeting' ongoing says CSIS

The heavily redacted document says that politicians and party riding associations are targeted by these foreign influence operations, along with members of Chinese-Canadian communities.

Earlier this year, CSIS reported that foreign states were looking to bribe or blackmail voters and politicians. That same report said some such operations also rely on flattery, money and even romantic entanglements to push their agenda.

Ai-Men Lau said she expects to see China's harassment of dissidents abroad continue.

"You see out of Hong Kong, people are leaving and they're leaving because of the national security law. It's kind of like baggage — whether you want it or not, it follows you," she said.

"So that's something that I think Canadian officials or decision makers and policymakers and politicians need to think of when we talk about addressing these issues ... It's going to stay with us for a while."

Townsend said CSIS is reaching out to communities under pressure.

"While I cannot speak in detail about the specifics of our assessments and investigations, I can say that CSIS has observed persistent targeting of specific communities here in Canada, both in person and through the use of online campaigns, by foreign state actors," he said.

'Sunlight' policy needed: Vigneault

In his meeting with Trudeau, Vigneault said Canada has a role to play in calling out media influence tactics in public.

"Canada can make use of a policy that is grounded in transparency and sunlight in order to highlight the point that foreign interference should be exposed to the public and clandestine practices are not equivalent to public diplomacy," the CSIS briefing documents said.

"Various state actors are currently using foreign interference activities with limited impunity to undermine Canada's interests."

Chiu said he wants to see a stronger approach from the federal government.

"The Chinese government controls WeChat, has a monopoly on many Canadians' lives and their ears and their brains ... we need to find a solution to that," he said.

"We also need to monitor and make sure that our regulators ... make sure that ... broadcasters and the commentators are held responsible for this information they help spread, especially during the election or before the election."

Ai-Men Lau also called for more oversight to make sure China isn't manipulating media and threatening journalists.

CSIS said it recently increased its investigative efforts and triggered threat reduction measures — a term referring to its broad legal powers to reduce threats to the security of Canada.

The main restriction on CSIS's threat reduction powers is that the service can't intentionally — or by criminal negligence — cause death or bodily harm, violate sexual integrity or willfully obstruct justice.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Industrious1 said:
\

'Sunlight' policy needed: Vigneault

In his meeting with Trudeau, Vigneault said Canada has a role to play in calling out media influence tactics in public.

"Canada can make use of a policy that is grounded in transparency and sunlight in order to highlight the point that foreign interference should be exposed to the public and clandestine practices are not equivalent to public diplomacy," the CSIS briefing documents said.

"Various state actors are currently using foreign interference activities with limited impunity to undermine Canada's interests."

Chiu said he wants to see a stronger approach from the federal government.

"The Chinese government controls WeChat, has a monopoly on many Canadians' lives and their ears and their brains ... we need to find a solution to that," he said.

"We also need to monitor and make sure that our regulators ... make sure that ... broadcasters and the commentators are held responsible for this information they help spread, especially during the election or before the election."

Ai-Men Lau also called for more oversight to make sure China isn't manipulating media and threatening journalists.

CSIS said it recently increased its investigative efforts and triggered threat reduction measures — a term referring to its broad legal powers to reduce threats to the security of Canada.

The main restriction on CSIS's threat reduction powers is that the service can't intentionally — or by criminal negligence — cause death or bodily harm, violate sexual integrity or willfully obstruct justice.

For just a brief moment, I thought, how the eff did ex-Canuck head coach Alain Vigneault get this responsibility?:lol:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Just more war propaganda.  The Chinese aren't the cause of our many problems in this country.  If you're concerned about the off-shoring of jobs (and we all should be), let's start with our own business class. 

maybe not the cause, but certainly a major factor. Harper unfortunately locked us into a terrible investment agreement with them that we should break asap. They also love to meddle in cyber espionage and steal IP.

But the biggest issues are how to disengage from Chinese manufacturing and exporting raw goods to them. If we can diversify more we'll be fine. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

maybe not the cause, but certainly a major factor. Harper unfortunately locked us into a terrible investment agreement with them that we should break asap. They also love to meddle in cyber espionage and steal IP.

But the biggest issues are how to disengage from Chinese manufacturing and exporting raw goods to them. If we can diversify more we'll be fine. 

For sure all those trade agreements are terrible.  But it was our business leaders who pushed for them because they don't want to pay decent wages to our own workers.  But yeah, we can definitely produce what we need for ourselves and should get back to that.

I'm not going to demonize China for coming out of dire poverty and becoming the world's leading economy.  Wouldn't want to live there, but I'm pretty sure they've figured out some things we haven't. 

• Wat 1

This is not new, per se, but intensified activity. I am a retired Communicator Research Operator, and these tactics were in use by foreign nationals way way back, even at the famous seattle G20 protests and protests against the west going into Afghanistan et cetera. I think that disinformation is an incredible tool being used by our adversaries on the world markets because it is highly effective. About 9% of the population is proving to be ignorant and selfish just taking covid as an example. How easy it is for a world power like China to manipulate the ignorant, and that is a significant wedge population. Further south, look at the contortions the so called 'religious right' are going through in their efforts to support Trump, even still, while almost every thing Trump does worsens America's international footing. 

it is what it is, the only way out is through it. I don't think we can get away with assassinating Honkers anymore though. 

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

For sure all those trade agreements are terrible.  But it was our business leaders who pushed for them because they don't want to pay decent wages to our own workers. 

I think they'd be fine to pay the wages if you could get consumers to pay a little more. Businesses have to survive, and if their competition is racing to the bottom on price you stay in the game with that or die. 

But yeah, we can definitely produce what we need for ourselves and should get back to that.

its up to us as consumers. If you're willing to pay a little more for things then this is possible. 

I'm not going to demonize China for coming out of dire poverty and becoming the world's leading economy.  Wouldn't want to live there, but I'm pretty sure they've figured out some things we haven't. 

they did figure it out nicely for themselves, thats for sure. Letting us become dependent was a brilliant strategy. 

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think they'd be fine to pay the wages if you could get consumers to pay a little more. Businesses have to survive, and if their competition is racing to the bottom on price you stay in the game with that or die. 

its up to us as consumers. If you're willing to pay a little more for things then this is possible. 

they did figure it out nicely for themselves, thats for sure. Letting us become dependent was a brilliant strategy. 

I blame this insatiable greed that North American consumers have for cheap goods.

Sure we can blame giant retailers and manufacturers for going to China to maximize profits.

But none of that would have happened without the demand for cheaply produced garbage.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I blame this insatiable greed that North American consumers have for cheap goods.

Sure we can blame giant retailers and manufacturers for going to China to maximize profits.

But none of that would have happened without the demand for cheaply produced garbage.

Agreed. We are happy to pay $5 for a tee shirt but don't show us any collapsed buildings or child labour. Oh and we can just throw it out and get a new one tomorrow. 

China played us like a fiddle. But its also not irreversible if people can get behind buying quality goods that last vs. a river of cheap $&!#. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, V12 said:

Don’t forget Fang Fang. China has spies in governments as well. I don’t think she was the only one. They likely have a lot more influence in western nations than we’d like to admit.

This is probably more true than many of us think.

The Winnipeg lab debacle comes to mind.   As I recall, the liberal speaker of the house ended up taking his own government to court regarding that file....and it still never got resolved, to my knowledge.  

3 minutes ago, Industrious1 said:

This is probably more true than many of us think.

The Winnipeg lab debacle comes to mind.   As I recall, the liberal speaker of the house ended up taking his own government to court regarding that file....and it still never got resolved, to my knowledge.  

And Trudeau inviting the Chinese army to come practice war games in Canadian winter climate because they wanted to know how its done. Is that a reflection of his stupidity or does he have strong influences in his own office? 

• Vintage 1

Many believe that Xi has compromised the federal government in some way or another.  Partisans will tow the company line but logic would tell us the math does not add up.  Huawei, exclusion in certain traditional alliances, the Winnipeg lab fiasco.  I'm sure there are other things I'm missing but as the old saying goes..."Where there is smoke, there is fire".

It is a strange time to be a Canadian on the international stage.  

5 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Going to need a better source, but if this is true what exactly does that mean?

That's an excellent source. It's an account that scrapes news right off a Bloomberg Terminal.

It means we are joining other countries like USA, Australia etc in not sending diplomats to attend the games. Only sending athletes.

12 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Going to need a better source, but if this is true what exactly does that mean?

It means that the olympics are a prime time for nations to send delegates to soften the landscape for trade deals, diplomatic issues etc.  Not sending delegates is a slap int he face and loss of status to China and will actually piss them off.  The ONLY thing that would hurt them more is if corporations also pulled out.

Athletes, meh.

But politicians and money not showing up would be an absolute slap

• Cheers 1

Of course there are, it’s even obvious they come onto this forum. Any time some anti Xi Pooh or China is posted on this forum the same usual suspects are in here deflecting and changing the subject, and browsing through their post history never talking about the Canucks.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

That's an excellent source. It's an account that scrapes news right off a Bloomberg Terminal.

It means we are joining other countries like USA, Australia etc in not sending diplomats to attend the games. Only sending athletes.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It means that the olympics are a prime time for nations to send delegates to soften the landscape for trade deals, diplomatic issues etc.  Not sending delegates is a slap int he face and loss of status to China and will actually piss them off.  The ONLY thing that would hurt them more is if corporations also pulled out.

Athletes, meh.

But politicians and money not showing up would be an absolute slap

Appreciate the info, thanks! Definitely the right move at bare minimum.