The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Playoffs? [DISCUSSION]

Rate this topic

PunjabiCanucks

Now I know we just won 1 game and I know it doesn't mean a whole lot just yet.

Bruce Boudreau mentioned winning 2 of 3 games a week as a positive sign to making it into the playoffs....

In recent history the minimum amount of points needed have ranged from 87 to 97 points, with an average of 92.6 points or a 0.565 point percentage.

----

Currently we have 20 points over 26 games, meaning we need ideally 73 points over the last 56 games. Equivalent to a .652 point percentage or for example 35 - 18 - 3 record

Almost a 2 wins for 1 loss as Bruce mentioned... now is it possible. Ideally we should aim for the higher end, trying to win divisional games as they are 4 point nights and against the Central division incase of a wild card race.

St. Louis Blue's did a complete turn around to make the playoffs and win the cup. Now I'm not saying we win the cup, but are playoffs feasible?

What are your predictions for point percentage for the last 56 games this season.

Currently 9 teams of the 32 have played .652 point percentage hockey over the first 22-26 games. Can we pull it off? Or is to game over?

Personally, as much as I hope and pray unless we improve our PK and PP drastically we miss the playoffs...

• Haha 3

8-1-0 when we score 3+ goals.

Under Boudreau, I expect us to start scoring like we were expected at the beginning of the season.

Playoff is possible although it won't be easy. One positive is that our record doesn't indicate how good we are and have been this season just like the Blues in 2019.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Wow look at all these haters in this thread. So negative.

Would have been interesting to see what your response would have been had Benning still been the GM.   :-/.  

In all seriousness, I agree with most others in this thread that it’s just one game so far.  Let’s get back to .500 and then go from there.  Typically, teams that make the playoffs are about 9-10 games over .500.  The Canucks should focus on playing high quality hockey night in night out and Atleast set the tone and infrastructure for next season in a worst case scenario.

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

thank you so much for your informative contribution

He’s a troll from HFCanucks who is basically only here to tell Benning supporters that “they told us so” (with regards to the Canucks falling this season).  The truly funny thing is that outside of our PK, they got every single reason wrong as to why we would struggle this season.  Respond to humor him but take what he says with a massive grain of salt.  Him, @AV.and @JohnTavares are only here to start trouble.

• Wat 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

32 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Now I know we just won 1 game and I know it doesn't mean a whole lot just yet.

Bruce Boudreau mentioned winning 2 of 3 games a week as a positive sign to making it into the playoffs....

In recent history the minimum amount of points needed have ranged from 87 to 97 points, with an average of 92.6 points or a 0.565 point percentage.

----

Currently we have 20 points over 26 games, meaning we need ideally 73 points over the last 56 games. Equivalent to a .652 point percentage or for example 35 - 18 - 3 record

Almost a 2 wins for 1 loss as Bruce mentioned... now is it possible. Ideally we should aim for the higher end, trying to win divisional games as they are 4 point nights and against the Central division incase of a wild card race.

St. Louis Blue's did a complete turn around to make the playoffs and win the cup. Now I'm not saying we win the cup, but are playoffs feasible?

What are your predictions for point percentage for the last 56 games this season.

Currently 9 teams of the 32 have played .652 point percentage hockey over the first 22-26 games. Can we pull it off? Or is to game over?

Personally, as much as I hope and pray unless we improve our PK and PP drastically we miss the playoffs...

Just doing the math, I think a 35-18-3 record over these next 56 games would require us to win 5 out of every 8 games on average I believe.  Nucks should just focus on playing high quality hockey one game at a time and not worry about the standings for now.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

He’s a troll from HFCanucks who is basically only here to tell Benning supporters that “they told us so” (with regards to the Canucks falling this season).  The truly funny thing is that outside of our PK, they got every single reason wrong as to why we would struggle this season.  Respond to humor him but take what he says with a massive grain of salt.  Him, @AV.and @JohnTavares are only here to start trouble.

Keep the personal attacks to yourself.

Were you never told that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?

This is a family friendly environment.

I rather cheer on my team than cheer against my fellow fans.

Go Canucks :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

I believe!!

Listening to Boudreau, he's been watching the Canucks for a little while. It was just his first game coaching this team, but look how the team responded to the change. They all bought in, they all gave effort. Wait until Boudreau really has a grasp of everything and has imparted his knowledge to the players. I do believe they will win a lot of games over the next 50+. 

If they end up in a playoff spot =  amazing.

Regardless, the next 50+ games should be very exciting. 

• Cheers 1

First and foremost we need to beat the teams that we should beat. Arizona, Seattle, scrubs out of the playoff picture. If you can't do that consistently, or at nearly every occurrence at this point considering the hole we're in, then obviously it's over. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Huggy Bear 1

This team should be taking things game by game.  We play a much better team tomorrow that will be rested and just starting a road trip.  Focus on the new systems.  Focus on being successful each shift.  Focus on establishing a solid PP/PK.  Leave the rest for now. 

I don't think we make the playoffs, but I'm not really too bothered either way. 

If we play like we did last night----with some  purpose, pressure and aggressiveness, I think this team will turn around very quickly.  I think this group can develop into something great with proper coaching. It may be too late for this year though.  I'm OK if it's just building for next year.  

Our next 15 games include Sharks x2, Ducks x2, Kraken  x2, Coyotes, Kings, Sens, Islanders.  Those are all winnable, mainly divisional games.  We also have the Bruins, Jets, Canes, BJs  and Leafs.   Win 10 of those and we are 19-20-2 at the midway point of the year.  I think we at least have chance if we can get to that stage.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

In the end, I was right.  As expected.

Hope this helps.

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1