The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Scott Harrington, Brendan Perlini

Harrington was once a highly touted guy. I am guessing his speed just isn't NHL level? Or something. His numbers aren't terrible. Point wise and underlying. Struggled the last couple seasons but prior wasn't a terrible bottom pair guy. I'd maybe look at taking a flier. We need a 3rd pair left D. Since it's 4 RDs on the blueline right now. But again, that's just going off the numbers. Maybe there is an eye test thing I don't see.

• Cheers 1

Harrington has a cap hit of 1.633 mil. Can they fit him in under their cap.

When you see how many decent players go through the waiver wire you start to understand why you shouldn't have to pay more than league minimum for the bottom part of your team. 2.65 mil for Dickenson and 2.5 mil for Poolman is high. The term is ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't see either player being able to offer anything of use to this team.

Perlini has nice size and decent speed but if he hasn't been able to produce with the Oilers I'm not sure what he would bring to the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we need 2 right shot top 4 defensemen that play defense like kevin bieksa and pass the puck like paul reinhart. then look out world.

man we have a Huggy Bear emoji

why don't we have  a Beaker emoji

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

Harrington has a cap hit of 1.633 mil. Can they fit him in under their cap.

When you see how many decent players go through the waiver wire you start to understand why you shouldn't have to pay more than league minimum for the bottom part of your team. 2.65 mil for Dickenson and 2.5 mil for Poolman is high. The term is ridiculous.

Exactly this.

For several years the NHL market has been on a youth kick where there are really decent veterans without landing spots to be had every year late in the summer for low dollars and more importantly low term.  Pro scouting should really be focussing on extracting value from these guys, especially since they can be flipped for assets at the deadline if things don’t go well.

That extra $1 million each on a few depth players adds up to a really good top of the lineup player.  It could turn Pearson into a $6-7 million dollar player.  Or Hamonic and Poolman together into a real solid top 4 guy with a steady 3rd pairing player like Schenn playing for cheap.

As I think Button said, it didn’t make sense for a Benning to corner the market on 3rd pairing D.

Leave the bottom of your roster for your own kids to earn spots and good value veterans on $1.5 million or less deals with 1-2 year terms.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

48 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Come on JB!!! you can do this!! just hit that claim button on Harrington! I like his size and left-handedness!!

...... oh wait.. it's Smyl in charge now.... kind of...... I wonder if anyone has trained him on how to push the claim button! 

Phone Abuelo GIF by NETFLIX