The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] If we’re rolling

#1- Trade (Before Christmas Roster-Freeze)

Panthers: D Travis Hamonic

Canucks:(FLA-ARI) 7th Round Draft Pick 2023

#2- Trade (Before Christmas Roster-Freeze)

Canucks: D Brayden McNabb

Golden Knights: D Guillaume Brisebois

(VAN-WPG) 3rd Round Draft Pick 2022

#3- Roster (After Christmas Roster-Freeze)

(D Brad Hunt placed on Waivers for the purpose of being assigned to Abbotsford)

#4- Roster (After Christmas Roster-Freeze)

(F Phillip Di Giuseppe re-called from Abbotsford)

Starting in January Line-Up

Podkolzin -Miller- Boeser

Pearson -Horvat- Garland

Dickinson -Pettersson- Hoglander

Di Giuseppe -Lammikko- Motte

Dowling                               Chiasson

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Schenn

McNabb - Poolman

Burroughs

Demko

Halak

LTIR

Highmore

Keeper

Sutter

Ferland

8 hours ago, ZH96 said:

#1- Trade (Before Christmas Roster-Freeze)

Panthers: D Travis Hamonic

Canucks:(FLA-ARI) 7th Round Draft Pick 2023

#2- Trade (Before Christmas Roster-Freeze)

Canucks: D Brayden McNabb

Golden Knights: D Guillaume Brisebois

(VAN-WPG) 3rd Round Draft Pick 2022

#3- Roster (After Christmas Roster-Freeze)

(D Brad Hunt placed on Waivers for the purpose of being assigned to Abbotsford)

#4- Roster (After Christmas Roster-Freeze)

(F Phillip Di Giuseppe re-called from Abbotsford)

Starting in January Line-Up

Podkolzin -Miller- Boeser

Pearson -Horvat- Garland

Dickinson -Pettersson- Hoglander

Di Giuseppe -Lammikko- Motte

Dowling                               Chiasson

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Schenn

McNabb - Poolman

Burroughs

Demko

Halak

LTIR

Highmore

Keeper

Sutter

Ferland

I  would love a McNabb on this team, tough and solid #5 D man..Missing that toughness that makes room for more skilled players...

13 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I  would love a McNabb on this team, tough and solid #5 D man..Missing that toughness that makes room for more skilled players...

He’s a perfect fit. And Vegas is shopping him and Ri.Smith too in order to shape the roster around Eichel how they want and get cap-compliant. Since they’ll likely have to do so before the playoffs start and the salary limit is off. They could use another 2nd or 3rd round pick and I think they’d jump at the chance to get one this year while clearing $2.5 Million. Plus Brisebois also played with their top RHD prospect Miromanov; in the QMJHL.

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

So McNabb + 7th for a 3rd + G Breezy + Hammonic. 

I dunno that the trade does Much for us and Hammonic refuses to waive. 

You mean a consistent physical menace who’s also been a major player in Vegas top four D the last few years? Yeah that one. The one that fixes our bottom LHD issue and then some. McNabb alone is a lot more valuable than Hamonic and I’m done arguing over people getting all upset when I put Hamonic in a proposal. Even after his vaccination clearance he’s still being sent up and down. He only further proved my point I’ve been making about him with his game the other night. He has done absolutely nothing. Nothing. To make a difference and has costed cap space and that’s it. You mean Hamonic and his brutal cross ice pass the other night he couldn’t even make to his D partner who was right there; as no one was on them… and his stupid penalty.. as I said before we lack another impact LHD badly and Hamonics spot has long been taken by the play of Schenn and Burroughs elevating their game and with Myers and Poolman. Yes we get a serious help to our D and fix our LHD depth issue plus re-coup our 7th in 2023 (which is also the pick Florida has that belongs to Arizona so it’s more like a 6th). We also get a D-man that’s $500K cheaper than Hamonic and only give up at this point an AHL D-man and 3rd round pick. If you’d rather have Hamonic over McNabb well….

21 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

You mean a consistent physical menace who’s also been a major player in Vegas top four D the last few years? Yeah that one. The one that fixes our bottom LHD issue and then some. McNabb alone is a lot more valuable than Hamonic and I’m done arguing over people getting all upset when I put Hamonic in a proposal. Even after his vaccination clearance he’s still being sent up and down. He only further proved my point I’ve been making about him with his game the other night. He has done absolutely nothing. Nothing. To make a difference and has costed cap space and that’s it. You mean Hamonic and his brutal cross ice pass the other night he couldn’t even make to his D partner who was right there; as no one was on them… and his stupid penalty.. as I said before we lack another impact LHD badly and Hamonics spot has long been taken by the play of Schenn and Burroughs elevating their game and with Myers and Poolman. Yes we get a serious help to our D and fix our LHD depth issue plus re-coup our 7th in 2023 (which is also the pick Florida has that belongs to Arizona so it’s more like a 6th). We also get a D-man that’s $500K cheaper than Hamonic and only give up at this point an AHL D-man and 3rd round pick. If you’d rather have Hamonic over McNabb well….

This is exactly the reason no one is going to trade for him.  You think other teams don't know this?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Seems like we're underpaying significantly if in fact he's a proper top 4...

3 hours ago, Crimson said:

This is exactly the reason no one is going to trade for him.  You think other teams don't know this?

That’s why I put us only getting a 7th.
I’d say he’s worth a 5th but his cap hit at the moment drops his value. Florida has been dealing with injuries and a team going for it hard could use some D depth especially after also just losing Connauton on Waivers.

59 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Vegas has to trade him and Ri.Smith to make cap room for Eichel. Same thing as the

Nate Schmidt trade we can get McNabb on the cheaper end.

Theres teams out there with plenty of cap room right now - a cap space crunch isnt going to be enough reason to get a big discount at the moment. If you have a top-4 defenseman that can actually defend, that's in demand basically on every team. 

And if he's actually a top-4 guy, 2.5m/year is a discounted contract, which means Vegas would get a premium return for him.

59 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

That’s why I put us only getting a 7th.
I’d say he’s worth a 5th but his cap hit at the moment drops his value. Florida has been dealing with injuries and a team going for it hard could use some D depth especially after also just losing Connauton on Waivers.

Edit: nvm i misread your post.

Edited by eeeeergh

57 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Theres teams out there with plenty of cap room right now - a cap space crunch isnt going to be enough reason to get a big discount at the moment. If you have a top-4 defenseman that can actually defend, that's in demand basically on every team. 

And if he's actually a top-4 guy, 2.5m/year is a discounted contract, which means Vegas would get a premium return for him.

Yes it is. They’re going to be just over $20,000,000 over the cap when Eichel comes back. They’ve already put McNabb and Smith on the block and it’s known league-wide. We can get him for that price if we’re the first to phone them. They just need the cap space and roster room. They’re going to have

Eichel, Martinez, and Patrick all come back and Eichels on LTIR alone has a huge cap hit that will crunch them. They HAVE to trade McNabb while also waiving one or two of Hutton, Amadio, Brooks.

29 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Yes it is. They’re going to be just over $20,000,000 over the cap when Eichel comes back. They’ve already put McNabb and Smith on the block and it’s known league-wide. We can get him for that price if we’re the first to phone them. They just need the cap space and roster room. They’re going to have

Eichel, Martinez, and Patrick all come back and Eichels on LTIR alone has a huge cap hit that will crunch them. They HAVE to trade McNabb while also waiving one or two of Hutton, Amadio, Brooks.

Why wouldn't any of the teams with plenty of cap space - like Nashville or New York want him though? Dont think its as simple as "phone them first". I think they'd probably call around and see if there were any other offers. Im sure if he's that good, any other team would be happy to bid and give them close to fair market value (top 6 forward for a top 4 defenseman). 

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Why wouldn't any of the teams with plenty of cap space - like Nashville or New York want him though? Dont think its as simple as "phone them first". I think they'd probably call around and see if there were any other offers. Im sure if he's that good, any other team would be happy to bid and give them close to fair market value (top 6 forward for a top 4 defenseman). 

Because it’s a matter of whenever Eichel is about to come back and when they need the cap space. Otherwise they would have traded him for a package already. Think of when Vegas had to trade Schmidt in order to fit the cost of Pietrangelo. We were able to get him cheap for a 3rd. This is no different. Vegas once again HAS to clear cap space. So essentially it is a matter of whoever phones them up and is ready to take him for them. Vegas has to trade McNabb and Smith to make room for Eichel (and Martinez & Patrick).

Schmidt has been a better skating D-man his entire career and put up far more points every season than McNabb; and we only had to give up a 3rd for Schmidt. The only reason I think we’d have to give up a 3rd for McNabb too is because of what McNabb can do in other areas that Schmidt can’t plus the fact that McNabb costs less than half the salary and is a UFA after this season. So there’s no long term contract trap.

2 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

Because it’s a matter of whenever Eichel is about to come back and when they need the cap space. Otherwise they would have traded him for a package already. Think of when Vegas had to trade Schmidt in order to fit the cost of Pietrangelo. We were able to get him cheap for a 3rd. This is no different. Vegas once again HAS to clear cap space. So essentially it is a matter of whoever phones them up and is ready to take him for them. Vegas has to trade McNabb and Smith to make room for Eichel (and Martinez & Patrick).

Schmidt has been a better skating D-man his entire career and put up far more points every season than McNabb; and we only had to give up a 3rd for Schmidt. The only reason I think we’d have to give up a 3rd for McNabb too is because of what McNabb can do in other areas that Schmidt can’t plus the fact that McNabb costs less than half the salary and is a UFA after this season. So there’s no long term contract trap.

Definitely not the same. A 6m dollar contract for a top-4 defenseman (Schmidt) is infinitely harder to move - there are fewer teams that can make that work. There are also fewer teams that need what Schmidt brings, especially at that price tag. 

2.5m for a "top-4" defenseman is a hot commodity, and theres no way Vegas is so dumb that they dont know that. If they got a lowball offer, they'd take 15 minutes and call a few other teams, and plenty would be happy to take that contract on. You can bet they'd want a better package of draftpicks and prospects, and somebody would give it to them.