The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petey, Brock, QH as PK'ers

Rate this topic

spook007

While it is brilliant to read that QH ad Petey both wants to PK, and that Boeser also will PK, am I the only one slightly concerned about it as well?

Its great to see they want to learn and be able to play and help the team in any situation, but I dunno about Petey throwing himself in front of slap shots or one times...

Both him and Boeser has had wrist problems, and the last thing we need is these players finding their mojo again, only to be sidelined for substantial time by injuries...?

I'm maybe putting too much into this, but wonder how you all feel about that?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Other star players around the league play PK for years.  They are usually the smartest and best with their sticks so it makes sense.  You could easily do the old Brodeur style where he had everyone not shot block and clear the lanes so he could see the puck, where the forwards take away one time lanes and more less just get their sticks in the lanes to try and force shots to in certain areas.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, spook007 said:

While it is brilliant to read that QH ad Petey both wants to PK, and that Boeser also will PK, am I the only one slightly concerned about it as well?

Its great to see they want to learn and be able to play and help the team in any situation, but I dunno about Petey throwing himself in front of slap shots or one times...

Both him and Boeser has had wrist problems, and the last thing we need is these players finding their mojo again, only to be sidelined for substantial time by injuries...?

I'm maybe putting too much into this, but wonder how you all feel about that?

I think yes to Quinn and Petey.

I know small sample size but the pk with Quinn and Petey against the ducks and the game on Monday were the best kills of the year.

The way I see it is the best way to kill is to keep the puck away from the other team and make sure you clear it when dumping it.

Quinn is our best pmd so to me that makes sense, as for Petey when he's dialed in he us great at stripping the puck and is a threat to score as well.

The kills against the kings you could clearly how effective that style could potentially be.

• Cheers 2

Definitely don't want either blocking shots, not often anyways.   Small sample size so maybe it won't work out...or maybe it will.   One nice thing about PKing is it also gives you a couple minutes of in game experience which could be valuable later 5 x 5 with odd man rushes etc.   For me Bure was always fun to watch on the PK...guy was so freaking dangerous he forced their D to hang way back, and wow could he score on breakaways.    EP could be pretty dangerous himself too, especially with a passer like QHs...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Russ said:

Other star players around the league play PK for years.  They are usually the smartest and best with their sticks so it makes sense.  You could easily do the old Brodeur style where he had everyone not shot block and clear the lanes so he could see the puck, where the forwards take away one time lanes and more less just get their sticks in the lanes to try and force shots to in certain areas.

21 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I know small sample size but the pk with Quinn and Petey against the ducks and the game on Monday were the best kills of the year.

The way I see it is the best way to kill is to keep the puck away from the other team and make sure you clear it when dumping it.

Quinn is our best pmd so to me that makes sense, as for Petey when he's dialed in he us great at stripping the puck and is a threat to score as well.

The kills against the kings you could clearly how effective that style could potentially be.

Cheers to you both.

Yes I do se the advantages in it, but neither Petey nor Brock has been particularly durable...

I personally think there's a difference between a 200+lbs forward, who knows how to PK and a tiny forward like Petey blocking shots. 

Guess my concern is, we can see, how we've fared with Petey and Brock not on top of their game...

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Definitely don't want either blocking shots, not often anyways.   Small sample size so maybe it won't work out...or maybe it will.   One nice thing about PKing is it also gives you a couple minutes of in game experience which could be valuable later 5 x 5 with odd man rushes etc.   For me Bure was always fun to watch on the PK...guy was so freaking dangerous he forced their D to hang way back, and wow could he score on breakaways.    EP could be pretty dangerous himself too, especially with a passer like QHs...

Yes it will be interesting to see how they cope. Sedins were open to Tortz idea as well, and that didn't go too well, although they were not as fast on the counter, and it was on top of all the other issues surrounding the club at the time...

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes it will be interesting to see how they cope. Sedins were open to Tortz idea as well, and that didn't go too well, although they were not as fast on the counter, and it was on top of all the other issues surrounding the club at the time...

Yes and it completely wore them down by 1/2 way in.   And wanted everyone to block shots because it "inspired".    He rode his top horses hard.   Think what i heard Bruce B say is he wants short PK shifts, 30 seconds, and will give anyone a chance if they want to try it, and eventually that will include Boeser.   And that he will be quick to make a change if that player doesn't do well at it.   I agree EP is brittle...we've seen that every season so far.    So it's a valid concern.   QHs taking more hits behind the net of course is too.   But somehow that kid had proved durable so far.    I do love the fact they are asking to kill penalties - they know that is part of the reason this season is in the gutter, and it shows they just want to help anyway they can.   Like to see Podz out there too, that was one of his key roles in the KHL. 

Edit:  It also speaks volumes to the former regime in a way, that they either did ask to kill penalties, or weren't comfortable asking which is an issue.    That said Green did try it one game...and it wasn't too bad. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, spook007 said:

Cheers to you both.

Yes I do se the advantages in it, but neither Petey nor Brock has been particularly durable...

I personally think there's a difference between a 200+lbs forward, who knows how to PK and a tiny forward like Petey blocking shots. 

Guess my concern is, we can see, how we've fared with Petey and Brock on top of their game...

Yes that's a concern for sure but I think they can mitigate that by getting up close not collapsing, with Quinn I see him as a rover who sticks with the guys most likely to pass, for example against the Oilers I would have him stick with 97 making it hard to pass cross ice to Drai opposed to playing up top or the guy  most likely to shoot on the half wall. If that makes sense. I can picture him as well being down low along the wall and either clearing it or getting it up to one of the forwards at the top.

It's so frustrating seeing Myers and Poolman especially,

panicking and flubbing the clearing chance. 

I hope Podz keeps killing penalties and Hoglander might be an option?

I thought what Bruce said about having guys that play on the same line or pair continuing that on the pk makes a lot of sense, so Petey and Podz JT and Dickenson etc 

TBH not sure about Poolman on the PK, he just doesn't  process quick enough.

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes and it completely wore them down by 1/2 way in.   And wanted everyone to block shots because it "inspired".    He rode his top horses hard.   Think what i heard Bruce B say is he wants short PK shifts, 30 seconds, and will give anyone a chance if they want to try it, and eventually that will include Boeser.   And that he will be quick to make a change if that player doesn't do well at it.   I agree EP is brittle...we've seen that every season so far.    So it's a valid concern.   QHs taking more hits behind the net of course is too.   But somehow that kid had proved durable so far.    I do love the fact they are asking to kill penalties - they know that is part of the reason this season is in the gutter, and it shows they just want to help anyway they can.   Like to see Podz out there too, that was one of his key roles in the KHL. 

Edit:  It also speaks volumes to the former regime in a way, that they either did ask to kill penalties, or weren't comfortable asking which is an issue.    That said Green did try it one game...and it wasn't too bad. 

Ya I'm beginning to feel dumb for sticking up for TG after hearing this and how Shaw had no input on the pk or the D.

Plus the refusal to try different options is not a good look considering Bruce put 3 guys out that TG refused to try and the results speak for themselves.

It's actually funny how blind I was, like I genuinely want to go and delete all my rants about TG not being the issue. I'm gonna have to go to confession to get my penitence, lol.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Spot on amigo.

This is exactly how I feel about it all...

I'd like to emphasise that I find it very encouraging that the players are throwing their hats into the ring, rolling up their sleeves and are prepared to do anything to make it work.

This definitely for me dispels the idea that they aren't interested in the team/club and hanging around. Would have been totally different had they had to be asked to try different stuff. And in particularly I find it odd if Green/Baumer haven't spoken to their leading players about it at an earlier stage, or at least similar/other ideas.

If it doesn't work, new ideas are needed... We'll see... interesting times ahead.

The start under Boudreau was exactly, why I thought a change was needed... A new voice for the younger players in particular, with the experience of a Boudreau, who's record of winning games speaks for itself. 

He way of dealing with the press has been a present from heaven as well. It deflects a lot of negativity from the players, which the need atm, and it lightens the mood amongst the fan base.

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I wouldn’t want two of our top guys (Hughes and Pettersson) who give up the most scoring chances against on our PK. 

Yes this is a very valid point as well.

The numbers speak for themselves. Of course until its tried, its hard to say it won't work, but yes the defensive side is definitely not neither players strong point.

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I wouldn’t want two of our top guys (Hughes and Pettersson) who give up the most scoring chances against on our PK. 

I don't think that's correct but at the same time those guys are often getting the tougher match-up and in Quinns case it's usually because he's pinching because we're trailing but in a pk role it's way different.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Yes that's a concern for sure but I think they can mitigate that by getting up close not collapsing, with Quinn I see him as a rover who sticks with the guys most likely to pass, for example against the Oilers I would have him stick with 97 making it hard to pass cross ice to Drai opposed to playing up top or the guy  most likely to shoot on the half wall. If that makes sense. I can picture him as well being down low along the wall and either clearing it or getting it up to one of the forwards at the top.

It's so frustrating seeing Myers and Poolman especially,

panicking and flubbing the clearing chance. 

I hope Podz keeps killing penalties and Hoglander might be an option?

I thought what Bruce said about having guys that play on the same line or pair continuing that on the pk makes a lot of sense, so Petey and Podz JT and Dickenson etc 

TBH not sure about Poolman on the PK, he just doesn't  process quick enough.

Absolutely agree on this...

Give the folks on the same line more time to create chemistry... All the line changing is annoying. Not only during special teams but also the next few shifts afterwards, the special team guys catch their breath...

12 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Ya I'm beginning to feel dumb for sticking up for TG after hearing this and how Shaw had no input on the pk or the D.

Plus the refusal to try different options is not a good look considering Bruce put 3 guys out that TG refused to try and the results speak for themselves.

It's actually funny how blind I was, like I genuinely want to go and delete all my rants about TG not being the issue. I'm gonna have to go to confession to get my penitence, lol.

I lost is with Green during preseason, when we lost the only proper power forward prospect we've drafted beside he who plays in KHL, on top of that they shifted Juolevi without any back up plan, well knowing the all of our LHD weren't known for their ability to defend (OEL aside) and total lack of muscle...

It was also in part Benning fault, as he did not provide any options to this.

Well I guess we see, if the team can flourish under Boudreau...

And you can stand in front or behind me in that line....:P

Edited by spook007

34 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I don't think that's correct but at the same time those guys are often getting the tougher match-up and in Quinns case it's usually because he's pinching because we're trailing but in a pk role it's way different.

A week ago they were ranked 1 and 4 in even strength scoring chances against.

Hughes:

Scoring chances against (EV) - 225; leads the team

High danger scoring chance against (EV) - 89 leads the team

Pettersson: 

SCA - 185; 5th on the team

HDCA - 67; tied for 5th 

If you want to put it into perspective. Chychrun who has the worst +/- rating in the entire league and plays against tougher minutes. Has 10 less scoring chances against and 4 less high danger scoring chances against than Hughes. Playing on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Edited by shiznak

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Petey yes.  Qh and brock wont work on the pk.

Every player wants to play the pk.  If a player could,  theyd play the whole game.  Im not sure why a lot of fans are getting excited about a player wanting to play the pk. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Hughes:

Pettersson: 

HDCA - 67; tied for 5th 

That's so meaningless, spend more time on the ice and there will be more chances at both ends.

Not sure where your figures are from but according to https://www.naturalstattrick.com/ EP and QH have 63 and 83 High Danger Chances against at 5v5 which makes them 8th and 1st respectively. Now divide by time on ice and times by 60 and you'll find Hughes has 10.77 and Petey 10.8 per 60mins. For reference a did the same with a couple of other players.

Miller 11.33

Poolman 11.03

Pearson 11.59

I can't be bothered to do more, but feel free. Personally I think most stats are pointless but bugs me when people use one stat in isolation to make a dumb point.

Edited by Biff Tannen

27 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Hughes:

Pettersson: 

HDCA - 67; tied for 5th 

If you want to put it into perspective. Chychrun who has the worst +/- rating in the entire league and plays against tougher minutes. Has 10 less scoring chances against and 4 less high danger scoring chances against than Hughes. Playing on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Hughes looks slightly better defending, but you can tell the opposing team just salivates everytime hes on the ice. They know theyll gain easy entry and work the puck in our end.

• Vintage 1