The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Only 5 Other Countries Join US in Diplomatic Boycott of Beijing 2022 Olympics

DonLever

36 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Americans treatment of African Americans is beyond disgusting (almost at a similar level to how the Canucks were treated between 2009-2013 by the National Hockey League)

200.gif

On a separate note. I will watch the hockey but only because I am an addict. Not watching anything else to do with these games whatsoever.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

We can't fix those past atrocities. That doesn't mean we let it pass somewhere else today, or just ignore it because we have shady parts to our past. All cultures have bad history. Thats no justification for not calling our China for what they are doing. 

Completely agree but I just find it hypocritical.

It would only impact Beijing like a slap on the face if all western countries pulled out... but I guess that's not possible since it would be punishing the athletes!!

Boycott or not, this is gonna be the China Games anyway... they won't even allow visitors in... so it feels weird to see athletes from around the world going there to entertain the Chinese... well, hope the athletes get some legit dim-sum and peking duck... and not just pizzas and Tim Horton's donuts! 

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This is meaningless and won't do anything to encourage the Chinese government to change anything.

But it will allow Trudeau to claim that he's actually doing something with a straight face, so there's that aspect. 

He's the king of all style & no substance.  But if the opposition keep on letting him win without doing anything meaningful, well, it's tough to knock his strategy.

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

This might be selfish but glad they not boycotting all together, looking forward to Hockey gold again for Canada. 

Seems to be a few people with this sentiment. i get it, but I wonder how everyone would feel if we went and ended up with bronze....or no medal at all.

We can hang with anyone at forward and defense, but barring some sort of miraculous return to form by Carey Price, the US, Russia and Sweden all have superior goaltending....

2 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

I agree with you, however I cannot imagine any hockey players will follow suit.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

And I respect their decision to go.

Actually, hockey players are the ones that I would have the least amount of sympathy for...All of them make a very comfortable living and would be attending purely for the prestige that goes along with an Olympic medal.

It's the Bobsledders and the Cross Country Skiers of the world that rely on the funding and sponsorship that comes with a strong Olympic performance every 4 years.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

48 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Completely agree but I just find it hypocritical.

but is it? I can't do anything about residential school abuse, I wasn't even alive. Why should that stop me from calling out China? or new bad things in Canada? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

but is it? I can't do anything about residential school abuse, I wasn't even alive. Why should that stop me from calling out China? or new bad things in Canada? 

It shouldn’t.

But having said that, China can point fingers as well. Especially at the US. That’s my point.

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

We can't fix those past atrocities. That doesn't mean we let it pass somewhere else today, or just ignore it because we have shady parts to our past. All cultures have bad history. Thats no justification for not calling our China for what they are doing. 

Exactly. Today is a different time than it was even 10 years ago. Not everyone is on board, but a lot of people are waking up and trying to at least be more educated, if not enact real change.

Is this the same as a boycott? No, but it is something and not just meaningless theater. That China has already responded to the US' announcement. More, if not most nations should follow suit.

Edited by elvis15
  • Vintage 1