The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Only 5 Other Countries Join US in Diplomatic Boycott of Beijing 2022 Olympics

DonLever

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

^^^

Lets send a team but not under our Country name?

Interesting.

How about we send a team and call them 'Taiwan'

I can't see Chinese Taipei having too much a problem with it. 

thats a great idea. If we announced that, I bet the CCP shuts down the games for a year. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

very good point. 

The doctor I was working with had his wife and son here in Vancouver, getting him a leg up on a western education that can help take you places in China. He was pretty tight lipped about things when were were together in Shanghai, but when I met with him here he had a lot to say about things like our healthcare system compared to theirs, e.g. People likely say what they have to over there. 

I was staying in Shanghai in the early '80's. Close to the Continental Hotel. I was told that a USA Naval band was playing at the Continental and it was within walking distance. Off I go by myself in the dark. As I walk along 2 guys come out of the dark, one with a long gun of some sort. Just as I am ready to throw my hands up one of the guys points up into a tree and the other points the gun in that direction. Yup, these two were hunting birds for their dinner. No street lights, no traffic and no people were out. I flew in at night and swear the city had a dozen 40W bulbs lit up, that's all. 

The band was excellent by the way. Played big band music. Dorsey, Miller, Goodman and Artie Shaw. Loved it. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not "Canawan"?  :bigblush:

Whatever name ticks of the Chinese government the most.

Will say if it were up to me, no Canadian athlete would be going over, and I'd invite all those Canadians living in China to come back to Canada.

I'm reasonably sure we can find some other country to supply us cheap stuff to fill our Mall Wart stores.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

50 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think the key issue with that would be affiliation.  Unless the athletes who proclaim themselves as "Taiwan" have some affiliation with Taiwan, it's unlikely the IOC would consider it - not to mention that the term has been banned from use due to the ccp's objections years ago, so it wouldn't be permitted anyways.

IOC apolitical?  Psh.  Good &^@#ing luck.

I know. I was being silly but I see that you guys get my point. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was staying in Shanghai in the early '80's. Close to the Continental Hotel. I was told that a USA Naval band was playing at the Continental and it was within walking distance. Off I go by myself in the dark. As I walk along 2 guys come out of the dark, one with a long gun of some sort. Just as I am ready to throw my hands up one of the guys points up into a tree and the other points the gun in that direction. Yup, these two were hunting birds for their dinner. No street lights, no traffic and no people were out. I flew in at night and swear the city had a dozen 40W bulbs lit up, that's all. 

The band was excellent by the way. Played big band music. Dorsey, Miller, Goodman and Artie Shaw. Loved it. 

thats a great story :lol:

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats a great story :lol:

Funny, I had almost that exact same experience the first time I was in Melville....

....well...minus the big band part....:unsure:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I been to China a couple of times. The people do what they have to to get by. Most people where ever they are do the same. The poster suggesting that the Chinese people would react negatively about a boycott might be true for some. It is not a homogenous society. Tiananmen Square did happen and the Falun Gong movement does exist. Hundreds of thousands of Chinese students go outside of China for educations. Not all are agents for the CCP. Can the CCP control their thoughts when they return to China? My nephew taught in China for 2 years and found the people OK. Parents were very involved in their children's education. It was viewed as a major stepping stone to a better life. 

What you have to understand is China today is very different from China even 5 years ago.

When the state would push "diversity" propaganda with people dressed up in fake ethnic outfits, it would be seen as what it was in the past. Now it's considered "cool" with the youth to be a part of such things. Western educators are being run out of the country, education in English is being attacked, almost all of the problems in the society are blamed on foreign influence now. Xi Jinping thought is a required University program to graduate, and it's taught in schools. No one is immune to nationalism and radicalization. Meng was touted as a hero when she returned no worse for wear. China has been becoming a nationalistic hellhole at breakneck speeds. The country is so large that you can still go there today and not see it at all if you stay in the right places, but the attitude of Han supremacy is slowly seeping into even places like Shanghai.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

^^^

Lets send a team but not under our Country name?

Interesting.

How about we send a team and call them 'Taiwan'

I can't see Chinese Taipei having too much a problem with it. 

We are all Team Taiwan 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kurgom said:

What you have to understand is China today is very different from China even 5 years ago.

When the state would push "diversity" propaganda with people dressed up in fake ethnic outfits, it would be seen as what it was in the past. Now it's considered "cool" with the youth to be a part of such things. Western educators are being run out of the country, education in English is being attacked, almost all of the problems in the society are blamed on foreign influence now. Xi Jinping thought is a required University program to graduate, and it's taught in schools. No one is immune to nationalism and radicalization. Meng was touted as a hero when she returned no worse for wear. China has been becoming a nationalistic hellhole at breakneck speeds. The country is so large that you can still go there today and not see it at all if you stay in the right places, but the attitude of Han supremacy is slowly seeping into even places like Shanghai.

The idea that most people are simply to smart to be influenced by propaganda is a fallacy. The vast majority of Germans supported Hitler. Control the message and you control the people. 

Your comments on modern China are very concerning. I had heard stories about the CCP utilizing digital records to monitor individual citizens on their activities. I am not clear but believe that an individual's ability to advance in education and job opportunities is determined by their record.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The idea that most people are simply to smart to be influenced by propaganda is a fallacy. The vast majority of Germans supported Hitler. Control the message and you control the people. 

Your comments on modern China are very concerning. I had heard stories about the CCP utilizing digital records to monitor individual citizens on their activities. I am not clear but believe that an individual's ability to advance in education and job opportunities is determined by their record.  

The bolded  made me think about their social credit systems being imposed.

I've followed this guy's story a little bit.

Kung Fu is a very big cultural treasure for China. This young man challenged some of the 'Masters' to matches and exposed them. Not received well by the powers that be. 

Chinese MMA Fighter Xu Xiaodong has social credit score lowered to “D”, is barred from buying plane tickets and real estate

https://china-journal.org/2019/05/27/chinese-mma-fighter-xu-xiaodong-has-social-credit-score-lowered-to-d-is-barred-from-buying-plane-tickets-and-real-estate/

A credit score “D” means that Xu will no longer be allowed to buy plane tickets or train tickets, purchase real estate. He also will be banned from star-rated hotels, restaurants and nightclubs, and his children will not be able to study in private schools.

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 6:45 AM, Boudrias said:

The Germans supporting Hitler came down to far more than just propaganda. It also required the perfect setting for a such a rise in the post WW1 conditions Germany found themselves in. The US crash in the 30s called back in loans they were giving Germany which ended up in hyper inflation etc. But that said your point on propaganda is spot on and still stands. Just look south to how many people buy into Trumps election BS. Not all of them are poorly educated mouth breathers married to cousin. Look at Giuliani..he only married his cousin and bought in...  ;)

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, Gnarcore said:

The Germans supporting Hitler came down to far more than just propaganda. It also required the perfect setting for a such a rise in the post WW1 conditions Germany found themselves in. The US crash in the 30s called back in loans they were giving Germany which ended up in hyper inflation etc. But that said your point on propaganda is spot on and still stands. Just look south to how many people buy into Trumps election BS. Not all of them are poorly educated mouth breathers married to cousin. Look at Giuliani..he only married his cousin and bought in...  ;)

It goes to the quality of the opposition as well (neither Killery nor Sleepy Joe are hardly 'star candidates').  Granted Dotard couldn't even be a GM of a McDonalds without it going under.

• DonLever changed the title to Only 5 Other Countries Join US in Diplomatic Boycott of Beijing 2022 Olympics