The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes is turning into a Star

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I will admit I had my doubts last year with all the defensive gaffes that Hughes made and his struggles with turnovers.

But this year he has almost completely put that all behind him.  As lots have commented, his D-Zone play is hugely improved, he is learning to apply his skating superiority and use it in place of physical presence.  Instead of trying to muscle opponents off the puck, he is skating them off the puck... just getting position and then using his stick to separate the puck.

And even while his D-Game has improved by leaps and bounds, his offensive skill set has remained star level... the ease with which he controls the puck in the O-Zone and distributes passes, and keeps the opponent from clearing is continuing to improve.

I can't say how much I am impressed with this kids play... he is a Star in the making... number is gonna be up there in the rafters if he keeps it up.  ;)

Just goes to show that ability to adapt to opposition and adding skills to your game is the key ingredient for player success.

Seeing early potential/skill, strong attributes, and even high rookie points can all dry up once the opposition figures out how to shut you down. But anyone smart enough to add tools to their repertoire will reach their actual/potential ceiling (instead of simply seeing glimpses of it).

Edited by Forsy

I was never worried about Hughes. His defensive game has had its ups and downs, but he's still young and he's already proven he can be adequate in his own zone... he just had to re-find his game. I originally felt the same way about Petey and figured he would be back in full form by now, but he's taking longer to get there and I guess with every passing game it gets a bit more concerning - but even still, I feel he will return at some point. Hopefully before the season is lost for certain.

Last season rival fans were fully erect to see him -24 and struggle and they would say he's not on the same level as the other young d and referred to him as a young Barrie.

So seeing him excel this season and now getting a shot on the pk in which I think will stick since his skill fits the aggressive style they are employing.

There is no doubt he's going to be a #1 d.

I think it's worth noting as well that he's putting up these points on a team ranked 28th in GF compared to Fox and Cale who's team are scoring far more. Imagine once they get back to the level of scoring the team is capable of. It would not surprise me at all if he gets to a ppg this season.

The last 2 games alone he should have had 4 more points.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I’m so happy to be eating a huge plate of crow this year.   
Im well on record for not being a fan of small offensive dmen.  
I haven’t been a huge fan of his game.  
BUT

This year he has made a huge effort to become a better rounded Dman, and it is helping him take the next step to becoming a real superstar.   

His defensive play has been pretty damn solid so far.       It’s awesome watching him utilize his huge skating advantage over pretty much everybody to get in position.  
I wonder what his takeaway numbers are so far this year.   Gotta be decent. 

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

I wonder what his takeaway numbers are so far this year.   Gotta be decent. 

He's 12th on the team, at 1.12 per 60 mins

Leaders:

Bailey.          4.34

Motte.           2.70

Boeser.         1.75

Podkolzin.    1.58

Pettersson.  1.55

• Vintage 1

I was lucky enough to be gifted a pair of tickets from work to see the new-look BB-led Canucks last night against the Bruins and it was a treat to see a more confident Quinn in action. The smoothness of his skating and his drive to be creative with his edgework (the spin-o-rama in the offensive zone midway through the game - somewhat unheard of during the early part of the season)!

I love the communication he has with BBQ Bruce right now and in exchange, his instilled confidence in Quinn, on his ability to attain personal career goals to become a more well-rounded player:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I said for awhile that Hughes was going to to struggle defensively if he continued to be expected to be something he is not defensively under Green and Baumgartner. He is not a crease clearer. He is not a shot blocker. He is not a passive player. His aggressive skating, puck skills, and outlet passing ability were being neutered in that system. 

He can be used in all situations now for one reason: He is allowed now to use his strengths (that previously were seen as only offensive skills) when defending. Skating, pick movement, shiftiness, etc. 

We all hate Duncan Keith but that is how Chicago turned him into a top two way dman. They built the defensive style around letting him use his skating and puck movement skills defensively too.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 12/9/2021 at 9:12 AM, Alienhuggyflow said:

Last season rival fans were fully erect to see him -24 and struggle and they would say he's not on the same level as the other young d and referred to him as a young Barrie.

that was actually canucks fans, not fans from rival teams. 

nobody enjoys shredding the canucks and their players more than their own alleged fans. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, tas said:

he was drafted as a star. the people who lost faith last year are typical mercurial canucks fans incapable of seeing the forest for the trees, and to quote someone who's better with words than myself, "... f*** your short memory."

He was drafted as an offensive star. Criticism of his defensive play last year wasn’t fans making up things to bitch about or “tear him down”. He was atrocious defensively. Good on him for realizing the adjustments he needed to make and focusing on his defensive game in the offseason.

Star players are usually the ones who get the most criticism when they underperform. It’s just the way things are because expectations are higher. 

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He was drafted as an offensive star. Criticism of his defensive play last year wasn’t fans making up things to bitch about or “tear him down”. He was atrocious defensively. Good on him for realizing the adjustments he needed to make and focusing on his defensive game in the offseason.

Star players are usually the ones who get the most criticism when they underperform. It’s just the way things are because expectations are higher. 

the entire team was atrocious last year, and his defense was anywhere between adequate and very good his first year. people last year chose to ignore his first year in the league as if it was not an indicator of who he was as a player. if I'm not mistaken, you were even suggesting he should spend time in the ahl. 

• Thanks 1