The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes is turning into a Star

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe some of those players are better because they play with Makar though?

The difference I see between Makar and Hughes (and both are incredible talents) is that Makar makes other players around him better. Hughes hasn’t quite hit that level yet but I fully expect he will be that guy eventually. 

Agree to disagree then.   Those players on Colorado were incredibly talented way before makar came aboard.

just saying.   
hughes will be a monster in a few years.  Maybe another Brian leetch. …. When was the last time anyone heard that name before 

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 4:49 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Hughs is an amazing player and we should be over the moon for having him. Top 3 in his draft.

But that won't stop some Canucks fans from wetting themselves over Cale Makar. Fawning over other teams players is fine when we don't have stars on our team. But the minute you say anything good about one of our players , someone comes along "but Cale Makar!"

Petterson "but Pasternak!" STFU

But wayne gretzky, canucks screwd that up real bad! Consolidation prize is the lays messier!

14 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe some of those players are better because they play with Makar though?

The difference I see between Makar and Hughes (and both are incredible talents) is that Makar makes other players around him better. Hughes hasn’t quite hit that level yet but I fully expect he will be that guy eventually. 

Quin Hughes absolutely also pads our forwards offense too.   He's the engine on our team, his assists alone tell a story.    Aside from Reinhardt for two seasons, we've never really had that.   Jovo was a goal scorer.   Aucion had one year he tied the record for league PP goals (still can't believe he did that).    But nobody passes like he does other then maybe Reinhardt.    Best thing about QHs, we have him for quite a bit of his prime .... and he's only going to get better defensively.    Kids elite, no doubt.   No he won't ever clear the net like Edler could and dozens of others.   Or jump infront of shots like Tanev.   He's amazing at using his stick and his feet.   Why he's a defenseman in the first place is a little odd given his stature.    That also inspires in a way, the same way Theo Fluery did, and Garland does.  He's no Chris Chelios, another height challenged guy for his era, but for right now, the way the games evolved (changed is a better word), no redline, no obstruction ... pretty impressed with him.   Too bad EP didn't have the same chip on his shoulder ... thought he was the one we should have signed for 8 years and QHs for 3.   So far both players are proving me wrong,   Surprised actually. 

6 hours ago, aznmonk said:

But wayne gretzky, canucks screwd that up real bad! Consolidation prize is the lays messier!

And no Ronning.   Who went on to do great things in NSH.   Clearing the way to sign Wayne.   Quin really screwed the pooch in that chain of events.    Messier did just come off two typical Messier seasons though ... in the dead puck era. Who would have known he'd have treated the team the way he did ... maybe we need a Messier emoji instead of LE lol.   To me that's the ultimate minus button.   Lays logo would suffice, wouldn't want to have to look at him that's ugly.  

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Quin Hughes absolutely also pads our forwards offense too.   He's the engine on our team, his assists alone tell a story.    Aside from Reinhardt for two seasons, we've never really had that.   Jovo was a goal scorer.   Aucion had one year he tied the record for league PP goals (still can't believe he did that).    But nobody passes like he does other then maybe Reinhardt.    Best thing about QHs, we have him for quite a bit of his prime .... and he's only going to get better defensively.    Kids elite, no doubt.   No he won't ever clear the net like Edler could and dozens of others.   Or jump infront of shots like Tanev.   He's amazing at using his stick and his feet.   Why he's a defenseman in the first place is a little odd given his stature.    That also inspires in a way, the same way Theo Fluery did, and Garland does.  He's no Chris Chelios, another height challenged guy for his era, but for right now, the way the games evolved (changed is a better word), no redline, no obstruction ... pretty impressed with him.   Too bad EP didn't have the same chip on his shoulder ... thought he was the one we should have signed for 8 years and QHs for 3.   So far both players are proving me wrong,   Surprised actually. 

Hard to believe Chelios is only 5'11".  Miserable SOB that guy.  Amazing the career of cheap shots after the whistle that guy got away with.

• Vintage 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Hard to believe Chelios is only 5'11".  Miserable SOB that guy.  Amazing the career of cheap shots after the whistle that guy got away with.

Larry Robinson called him a Junkyard Dog...because that's the way he played the game - he fought anyone, including a long list of guys that could drop Reaves and Lucic.   Chelios killed us in 95, swept us ... people remember Duncan Keith stuff because it's recent .. I remember him killing us ... close games and he was just so freaking good he killed us almost by himself. 

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Larry Robinson called him a Junkyard Dog...because that's the way he played the game - he fought anyone, including a long list of guys that could drop Reaves and Lucic.   Chelios killed us in 95, swept us ... people remember Duncan Keith stuff because it's recent .. I remember him killing us ... close games and he was just so freaking good he killed us almost by himself. 

My how times have changed. I remember when Chelios broke in with the HABS and resenting him being an American with the timidity of possibly bumping one of the stalwarts to the sidelines. Of course Langway joined the USA wave. 

Fascinating that both Hughes and Miller were more committed to the Canucks than the USA Olympic team participating in China. Hughes season to date has been exceptional considering the team’s struggles.

• Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

My how times have changed. I remember when Chelios broke in with the HABS and resenting him being an American with the timidity of possibly bumping one of the stalwarts to the sidelines. Of course Langway joined the USA wave. 

Fascinating that both Hughes and Miller were more committed to the Canucks than the USA Olympic team participating in China. Hughes season to date has been exceptional considering the team’s struggles.

Now our best players are mostly US or Euro.   Actually you'd be hard pressed to find a team with more good US players ... Miller, BB, Garland and Demko correct?    Horvat is the only Canadian worthy of Olympic discussion - and odds are he wouldn't make it other then a spare or injury replacement.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Ah, former member of the Trade Quinn brigade perhaps? ::D

not sure, maybe in a lengthy discussion with @J.I.A.H.N?:lol: 

I just really like the trade proposals, I think they often serve to appreciate what we've got. Sometimes you start out thinking trade a guy and end up realizing he's pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I just really like the trade proposals, I think they often serve to appreciate what we've got. Sometimes you start out thinking trade a guy and end up realizing he's pretty good. 

Absolutely.   Team chemistry is one metric or intangible that's tough to gauge and think as fans it's too easy to get caught up on what we see on the ice.    Miller screaming or Myers screaming at OJ where to go doesn't mean anything really.   Miller's pep talk in the bubble sure was fun to watch.   Keep saying he's our trade chip, but still love that he's on our team.   A lot can happen.   QHs for sure has been a great story this year, as has Demko.   And Miller is what blue chip players can offer in their prime.  He's a stud.   Hope we win as often as possible while he's here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Had a bit of time to kill before heading out for a few last minute Christmas errands…and yeah, didn’t take long to find some truly mindblowing threads in the Trade Proposal section. Someone floated the idea of trading Quinn for a package including PK Subban and Ty Smith. Ty Smith with his 8 points and -12 this year. I’m not out to embarrass anyone so I’ll not mention those that were seemingly fine to trade away the best defenseman, by far, we’ve ever had.

55 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Now I am on the trade  JM_ wagon!

So far I been offered ......a 1/2 eaten Snicker Bar

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.   Team chemistry is one metric or intangible that's tough to gauge and think as fans it's too easy to get caught up on what we see on the ice.    Miller screaming or Myers screaming at OJ where to go doesn't mean anything really.   Miller's pep talk in the bubble sure was fun to watch.   Keep saying he's our trade chip, but still love that he's on our team.   A lot can happen.   QHs for sure has been a great story this year, as has Demko.   And Miller is what blue chip players can offer in their prime.  He's a stud.   Hope we win as often as possible while he's here. 

Miller is a great example. I love what he does, but we may not be able to keep him.

• Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Miller is a great example. I love what he does, but we may not be able to keep him.

Yeah, I been trying to figure out how a GM would work through this............

This is what I have come up with............let's just say this for the example

Miller.............30 at next contract........................we sign him for 6 years.....................and he is done, and not worth re-signing at 36

Boeser..........25 at next contract........................we sign him for 7 years.....................is he done at 32, or do we sign or trade before?

Both guys are signed until 2029......................

So which one provides the better deal?

Which one provides the better contribution throughout the entire contract

and who can be moved to give us additional assets near  the end.

I really struggle with this. I like all our shinny toys! But a re-alignment of assets may make a difference down the road...........can I suffer through more down years, will I have to?

This is when JR will truly make his money

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Yeah, I been trying to figure out how a GM would work through this............

This is what I have come up with............let's just say this for the example

Miller.............30 at next contract........................we sign him for 6 years.....................and he is done, and not worth re-signing at 36

Boeser..........25 at next contract........................we sign him for 7 years.....................is he done at 32, or do we sign or trade before?

Both guys are signed until 2029......................

So which one provides the better deal?

Which one provides the better contribution throughout the entire contract

and who can be moved to give us additional assets near  the end.

I really struggle with this. I like all our shinny toys! But a re-alignment of assets may make a difference down the road...........can I suffer through more down years, will I have to?

This is when JR will truly make his money

Absolutely.    Miller is peaking now.   What will Brock's peak look like, and whom should or will get the better deal next time.   Agree a six year deal is where it should land unless he goes to market and then who the heck knows.   Brock plays an easier position to fill.   But the idea is to score goals and he's still got enough time to become the 35-45 goal scorer we all imagined him to be his rookie year.   It's not easy to score in this league ... his shot is elite.   All-star game MVP isn't easy to do ... he did it as a rookie.     Miller is easy to add to any team and make it better because he plays C and LW.    To me his best comp is Stastny.   And feel he's for 4/5 good years left in him right now for sure.   And for sure the better player.    To me it comes down to cap all the time.   Miller is great because he punches above his pay scale.   If he was getting 8.5-9 we'd be saying no thanks wouldn't we?   He's sure playing in that category.   And not many players sustain that level until they are 36-38.   The Sedins couldn't.   Naslund couldn't, Linden couldn't.   Bure didn't make it.  Neither did Mogilny for that matter.   Sundin did.   Messier did until 35/36 when we signed him lol - and he's no Messier.    Stastny pro-rated maybe his deal is now would be in the 7 range.   Food for thought so yes i agree Janis, it's rare a player is that good for that long.   Might as well enjoy it while we have it, and who knows maybe he loves it here and would do a deal 7 x 6 - and in that case we'd be ok. 

• Cheers 1