The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes is turning into a Star

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

2 minutes ago, Canuckerbird said:

I will be happy with a Scott Niedermayer type of career from Quinn. Offensively I think he's already better than Scott, but he's starting to round out his defensive game. A couple of Cups with a Norris or two somewhere in his 20 year career seems attainable for Quinn. 

You’re a true Canuck fan.  Hughes is a friggin’ phenom!  Best D in the world!  

10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am a fan of hockey. The Canucks are my team but I can recognize that other talented players and teams are better.

Under your logic, saying Petterssen is better than McDavid makes someone a “true fan”. In reality it just makes them an idiot.

Pettersson is a blue chip prospect that might be a league leader in points one day. McDavid is the best player in the world, and has been for years.

Makar and Hughes are comparable no matter how much people want to make it seem like Makar is some generational talent that Hughes can never eclipse. Using hyperbolic comparisons doesn't help your argument. Pettersson is never going to be McDavid, Hughes is already close to Makar and might end up being better, might end up being worse, who knows they're both too young right now to tell.

Edited by Kurgom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kurgom said:

Pettersson is a blue chip prospect that might be a league leader in points one day. McDavid is the best player in the world, and has been for years.

Makar and Hughes are comparable no matter how much people want to make it seem like Makar is some generational talent that Hughes can never eclipse. Using hyperbolic comparisons doesn't help your argument. Pettersson is never going to be McDavid, Hughes is already close to Makar and might end up being better, might end up being worse, who knows they're both too young right now to tell.

I never said Hughes couldn’t or wouldn’t possibly eclipse Makar. I said Makar is the better player right now. Which, sorry to tell all the butthurt people here who can’t handle it, is absolutely true. Hughes still has a ways to go to eclipse Makar. Let’s hope he does. 

Both are great young players. 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why does Makar always get brought up whenever there's a thread about Hughes?

Because people here are so insecure about him being a great young player that they have to try to suggest he is a worse player than Hughes? People here have never gotten over the fact that Hughes lost the Calder to him. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Hmm, in your post I quoted, you blamed Qiunn.

Quin ... didn't re-sign Ronning in opening the spot for Wayne Gretzky.   It was context to some other post - not meant to upset anyone lol.   WG details it in his book, has a couple pages on it, WG didn't pull out ever,  the Canucks did because he wouldn't give them an answer at one am on a deal they'd already agreed on, just needed to talk to his wife.    The next morning WG still wanted to sign ... but the Canucks had faxed every other league saying they were no longer pursuing him lol.   Yes it wasn't Quin who did that.   Merry Christmas!.  

The pursuit of Wayne cost us Ronning too, sure WG deal was much steeper.   And if you pull the string all the way opened the door to Mark Messier as well, didn't have a legit second line C...

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Sorry iBatch, it was Stan McCammon (Orca Bay CEO at the time) that botched the Gretzky trade. Quinn had him ready to sign ‘in the morning’. 
Stan called Quinn and insisted it be done that night, pissed off Wayne, so no Canucks

Kind of.  Gretzky wasn't pissed off, maybe annoyed, and for sure disappointed (he really wanted to play here, has some really amazing things to say about that team, and five or six players he couldn't wait to play with in his rendition of events in his book, 99)  that a deal that was all but done talks were all of a suddenly back on after he went to bed, and was been asked to sign right away, he hadn't gone over the deal with his wife, and said he would in the morning.   Even said he hoped the deal was still on too.   Simply put, the Canucks backed out.   I have my suspicions they got cold feet.   When he woke up, the deal was off the table - all the teams in the league had been faxed the Canucks were no longer interested.   Pretty embarrassing.   And Ronning wasn't re-signed indirectly, both became free agents in 95-96.   Stupid.   That as i said - led to the Messier deal.  Team needed a top six C ... all three of these guys would or should have helped us given the riches we had in wingers.   Bure, Mogilny, Gelinas etc.     Quin was involved in some of these decisions, but i agree your right it wasn't his fault on Gretzky.   And folks wonder why some hate the Orca to this day. 

Edit:  Within hours the Rangers contacted him and he was on his way to NY.   Funny and ironic that Messier didn't want to share the limelight.  

Edited by IBatch

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Because people here are so insecure about him being a great young player that they have to try to suggest he is a worse player than Hughes? People here have never gotten over the fact that Hughes lost the Calder to him. 

Seems to me like there are just as many people chomping at the bit to yell "Makar is better!" first chance they get.

• Vintage 1

I never said Hughes couldn’t or wouldn’t possibly eclipse Makar. I said Makar is the better player right now. Which, sorry to tell all the butthurt people here who can’t handle it, is absolutely true. Hughes still has a ways to go to eclipse Makar. Let’s hope he does. 

Both are great young players. 

image.png

image.png

Oh really?  Quinn's changed his game to focus more defensively and that's a good thing.   

Knock off the "Butt hurt" and "people here" comments.  Stick to the comparison, not proving that we're all this or that.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

image.png

image.png

Oh really?  Quinn's changed his game to focus more defensively and that's a good thing.   

Knock off the "Butt hurt" and "people here" comments.  Stick to the comparison, not proving that we're all this or that.

So am I allowed to say on CDC that I think Makar is better than Hughes offensively, defensively, in terms of impacting his teams win/loss results, etc? Let me know if that is outside the lines too.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Fantomex said:

If you read the comment that was made, you'd quickly see there was nothing about you having or stating an opinion... Just don't paint all of the "people here" as "butt hurt"... Reading comprehension FTW.

People whine all the time on here when anyone suggests Makar is better than Hughes. Like it couldn’t possibly true lol. People also still whine that Hughes should have won the Calder (which was awarded to the right person imo). 

Giving the opinion that people are butthurt about something is typed a hundred times a day on this forum. If I had said Makar supporters are butthurt that Hughes is better than Makar no one would have batted an eye at it. Most would upvote it tbh. So it’s not about saying people are butthurt, which is a general comment anyway. It’s about saying people ON A CERTAIN SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT are butthurt. 

Funny how I can’t call people butthurt in general (not aimed at a specific person) about a hockey related thing on a hockey forum but you can personally insult my reading comprehension without getting the gears for it. 

Interesting. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That’s the great thing about opinions. We are all entitled to them. You think Hughes is better, good for you. I don’t, good for me. 

Except this is our Canuck’s home board, and your disparaging our key young player, while promoting your favourite team’s young player is trolling.  Go to the Avs’ board.  Why even post here since you are an Avs’ fan?  Or are you only here to troll us true Canuck fans?  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Except this is our Canuck’s home board, and your disparaging our key young player, while promoting your favourite team’s young player is trolling.  Go to the Avs’ board.  Why even post here since you are an Avs’ fan?  Or are you only here to troll us true Canuck fans?  

I wasn’t disparaging anyone. I said both are great young players. Saying I think Makar is better isn’t saying Hughes is trash. That’s just how you are taking it and that’s a you problem not a me problem. 

I have the ability to understand that one player being good or not has no direct bearing on whether another one is. Both can be awesome young players. I know from your numerous comments about guys like Makar and Chychrun you don’t see things that way.

I am curious though. How do you explain being a true fan under your definition when you constantly denigrate Demko? 

The other great thing about opinions is you can’t regulate them the way that you seem to want to, at least not if you don’t want your forum to be a joke. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

19 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just responding to you last sentence Jim...............

To what end? Meaning, "one more run"? At what? The Cup?. The last playoff spot?

I mean, giving up Pearson and Hamonic is no big deal, but what are we striving for with line-up?

And then the next question.................and then what?

just get in to the post season and see what gels. I see this team being built a lot like LAs cup run teams, just with a higher octane offence. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

There is no way Klingberg signs under 7 mill AAV.  Plus Pearson probably gets a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

maybe, but we're still a few years in flat cap land, so he may take less. If we can get that for Pearson I'll do a happy dance. 

19 hours ago, Canuckerbird said:

I will be happy with a Scott Niedermayer type of career from Quinn. Offensively I think he's already better than Scott, but he's starting to round out his defensive game. A couple of Cups with a Norris or two somewhere in his 20 year career seems attainable for Quinn. 

I'd be over the freaking moon with something like that.    Scott was awesome, in all three zones.   And played in a way tougher and rougher era.   Still got his points.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3