The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes is turning into a Star

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Lets not forget Peter Forsberg, who took the phrase 'Soft Swede' and dropped it in the toilet.

He played so hard he broke his body.  Way more impact physically than a 6'0" 205 lb would make you expect.

And had amazing passing and scoring skills, plus wheels.  He and Sakic were the dynamic duo vs the Detroit triple threat of Yzerman, Federov and Lidstrom.

He was 2nd tier too in my opinion... not quite up there with Howe, Orr, Gretz and Mario.

Yzerman was 1st tier when it comes to leadership... his performance during the 2002 playoffs when he basically played with one knee completely trashed was exceptional.  He created the atmosphere that allowed the other Wing players to be inspired to play their best.

Eric Lindros had all the physical assets to be a superstar, but lacked character.  He was also a victim of his own reputation, he got his concussions because everyone was eager to give Lindros some payback for his own hitting.

Who knows where Connor McDavid will end up... he clearly has the physical assets to be up in the top tier of forwards with Gretz and Lemieux, but he seems to lack maturity... plus Edmonton cannot seem to find a goalie.  But he can turn that around... he has shown signs of building a less selfish style of play.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Lets not forget Peter Forsberg, who took the phrase 'Soft Swede' and dropped it in the toilet.

He played so hard he broke his body.  Way more impact physically than a 6'0" 205 lb would make you expect.

And had amazing passing and scoring skills, plus wheels.  He and Sakic were the dynamic duo vs the Detroit triple threat of Yzerman, Federov and Lidstrom.

He was 2nd tier too in my opinion... not quite up there with Howe, Orr, Gretz and Mario.

Yzerman was 1st tier when it comes to leadership... his performance during the 2002 playoffs when he basically played with one knee completely trashed was exceptional.  He created the atmosphere that allowed the other Wing players to be inspired to play their best.

Eric Lindros had all the physical assets to be a superstar, but lacked character.  He was also a victim of his own reputation, he got his concussions because everyone was eager to give Lindros some payback for his own hitting.

Who knows where Connor McDavid will end up... he clearly has the physical assets to be up in the top tier of forwards with Gretz and Lemieux, but he seems to lack maturity... plus Edmonton cannot seem to find a goalie.  But he can turn that around... he has shown signs of building a less selfish style of play.

Lindros had his time ontop of the league too.   For a 4/5 year period or so, he was the best all around player in the world.    I've yet to see anything like him...in this league he'd have no equal (well maybe Chara that's about it but he's almost done)   Go look at some of his highlights .... he'd hit  220lb guys and they'd go flying.   His character issues ... well he had to take that on the chin like a man, he didn't want to be a "God" in Quebec, just wanted to be himself and away from that sort of idiocy.    Even Mario didn't have his physical tools.   Howe i suppose would be the closest to him.   6'4, 245lbs - guy was a mountain.     My wife tutored him in math, a perfect gentleman, and on the shy side (17/18).    The Bobby Clark vs Lindros thing got a lot of media attention ... Lindros suffered some pretty bad injuries.   Lung collapsed, broken ribs, and of course his concussions.   Thing he never did figure out in juniors he could just have his way with everyone.   In the 90's dead puck era ... well just go take a look at our roster back then ... the D's in particular.    All big even Lumme.   Antoski.   There were guys as big as he was.   Scott Stevens ... that hit is probably the most iconic one ever.   Lindros also splattered guys all over the ice and along the boards.   All the time lol.   Again go check the highlights out.  Some of the best hits you will ever see.   Could also handle himself well against some of the best fighters the games ever had. 

I wasn't impressed with him not wanting to go to Quebec either - context for sure helps, and with that lens i can at least understand why.   Taking it on the chin lol, fans chanting obscenity's throwing  soothers on the ice was priceless.   Even better dressing up in diapers.   COL exists in part because Lindros didn't go there.   He was that good.    Post concussion and deepest part of the dead puck era he wasn't the same.   But for awhile anyways, he was one freaking animal.   And if we ever have a player like that come up and play in this league ... well he'd change the league back to what it used to be like, because nobody could handle him. 

Edit:  I'd say it's fair to say that Lindros was every bit Forsberg's equal, and personally believe if he was on that team instead, they'd have been even scarier then they were.    Forsberg was a great player too no doubt - but PHI wasn't as good a team.  A Lindros/Sakic one two punch would have been superior IMO.   It's also a shame Lindros got concussed, because we never got to see what his prime would have looked like.   Scored 130ish more goals in about the same amount of games, all in the dead puck era. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Lindros had his time ontop of the league too.   For a 4/5 year period or so, he was the best all around player in the world.    I've yet to see anything like him...in this league he'd have no equal (well maybe Chara that's about it but he's almost done)   Go look at some of his highlights .... he'd hit  220lb guys and they'd go flying.   His character issues ... well he had to take that on the chin like a man, he didn't want to be a "God" in Quebec, just wanted to be himself and away from that sort of idiocy.    Even Mario didn't have his physical tools.   Howe i suppose would be the closest to him.   6'4, 245lbs - guy was a mountain.     My wife tutored him in math, a perfect gentleman, and on the shy side (17/18).    The Bobby Clark vs Lindros thing got a lot of media attention ... Lindros suffered some pretty bad injuries.   Lung collapsed, broken ribs, and of course his concussions.   Thing he never did figure out in juniors he could just have his way with everyone.   In the 90's dead puck era ... well just go take a look at our roster back then ... the D's in particular.    All big even Lumme.   Antoski.   There were guys as big as he was.   Scott Stevens ... that hit is probably the most iconic one ever.   Lindros also splattered guys all over the ice and along the boards.   All the time lol.   Again go check the highlights out.  Some of the best hits you will ever see.   Could also handle himself well against some of the best fighters the games ever had. 

I wasn't impressed with him not wanting to go to Quebec either - context for sure helps, and with that lens i can at least understand why.   Taking it on the chin lol, fans chanting obscenity's throwing  soothers on the ice was priceless.   Even better dressing up in diapers.   COL exists in part because Lindros didn't go there.   He was that good.    Post concussion and deepest part of the dead puck era he wasn't the same.   But for awhile anyways, he was one freaking animal.   And if we ever have a player like that come up and play in this league ... well he'd change the league back to what it used to be like, because nobody could handle him. 

Edit:  I'd say it's fair to say that Lindros was every bit Forsberg's equal, and personally believe if he was on that team instead, they'd have been even scarier then they were.    Forsberg was a great player too no doubt - but PHI wasn't as good a team.  A Lindros/Sakic one two punch would have been superior IMO.   It's also a shame Lindros got concussed, because we never got to see what his prime would have looked like.   Scored 130ish more goals in about the same amount of games, all in the dead puck era. 

The dead puck era is more 1997-2010.  Mario hit 160 points in 95/96.  The early 90's were still a lot of fun.  Lindros was the man but his scoring peaked in 1995-1996.  Foppa was the better player who achieved a 2nd peak in 2002-2003 smack in the middle of trap hockey.   He was also a phenomenal defensive player.  We all have our favorites and because of the injuries it is almost impossible to differentiate some players.   

I still say Bure was more exciting than McDavid is.  They are both equally as fast versus their contemporaries.  But Bure was absolutely reckless and relentless in getting to the goal and scoring.  I have never felt the same way about watching hockey as I did with Bure.  Genuine couch adrenaline!  

38 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

The dead puck era is more 1997-2010.  Mario hit 160 points in 95/96.  The early 90's were still a lot of fun.  Lindros was the man but his scoring peaked in 1995-1996.  Foppa was the better player who achieved a 2nd peak in 2002-2003 smack in the middle of trap hockey.   He was also a phenomenal defensive player.  We all have our favorites and because of the injuries it is almost impossible to differentiate some players.   

I still say Bure was more exciting than McDavid is.  They are both equally as fast versus their contemporaries.  But Bure was absolutely reckless and relentless in getting to the goal and scoring.  I have never felt the same way about watching hockey as I did with Bure.  Genuine couch adrenaline!  

Dead puck  started after 1994...there was a distinct drop in scoring, no longer a dozen or so guys with 100 plus points ... 1/2 year lockout and NJ, expansion pushed that, and for sure Lindros played during it.   Mario and Gretzky would score 160 in their sleep in any era during their primes.    Agree Bure was more exciting... 

Edited by IBatch

On 1/5/2022 at 4:08 PM, CaptainLinden16 said:

2010 ?? Nah. It didn't end in 2010. More like 07

Agree on Bure too. They both have similar skating styles.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

2010 ?? Nah. It didn't end in 2010. More like 07

Agree on Bure too. They both have similar skating styles.

Actually ended right after the lockout.   Zubov scored over 70 points as a 37 year old lol, after years in the low 50's...too bad the dead puck era beat the crap out of so many stars from the 90's - but the ones that survived got a big bump in their stats, and the ones emerging did too including the Sedins.  So even a little earlier then that.   So many penalties were called the first year it didn't take long for the Ludwig/Hatcher's of the world to lose their jobs.   It did screw with a lot of players  stats - the ones around for both the 1/2 season in 94/95 and the lost season.  Jagr/ Messier for example ... they'd  have passed Howe for sure.   Linden probably would of had 400 goals...but it is what it is.   It's considered the second biggest moment by THN all time as in top sixty things that changed the game.   First was expansion.   Third was Wayne Gretzky - he's a massive reason for the expansion that's happened to this day.  

Imagine what Mario could have done without a guy on his back, another hooking him and another one slashing his hands.   Or Bure without a redline and well guys trying to do the same (sorry McDavid, you can't do what Bure did with the puck...maybe what Stastny, Crosby, Hawerchuk could - but not Bure)...

Lindros was built for the dead puck era, same with Sundin, Jagr ...and Bertuzzi.   And Keith Tkachuk.    It took a ton of skill to overcome that ... And the stars did.    It wasn't for the faint of heart or the tame.   The Sedins absolutely grew up in the school or hard knocks - and that absolutely helped them on the other side of it later. 

Edited by IBatch