The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

40 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Surprised and honestly disappointed he even got an interview less than a year after Virtanen's conduct became public knowledge.

Me too.

I mean yes there’s always a place for second chances but I have a hard time ever excusing that kind of behaviour.

To me you have to have some serious character flaws to ever beat on your spouse, alcohol involved or not.

Even if you can put that aside his resume isn’t impressive, so I’m not sure what they’re impressed by exactly. Is he just very charismatic?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Me too.

I mean yes there’s always a place for second chances but I have a hard time ever excusing that kind of behaviour.

To me you have to have some serious character flaws to ever beat on your spouse, alcohol involved or not.

Even if you can put that aside his resume isn’t impressive, so I’m not sure what they’re impressed by exactly. Is he just very charismatic?

Well he's been interviewed for at least 3 other GM vacancies in the past.  So it's fair to say that he's 'well respected' within the industry.

... Which is part of the problem. 

I to have a problem with the interview as for me the 'off ice' behavior should be weighted equally to the on ice performance.  This may mean that Burke and the like, might be the most qualified and best fit for this team.  However, their character matters even more.  If you hire a person with questionable character, at such a high position, with so much influence, what message are you sending to the rest if the organization and fans alike?

If Burke comes out and shows the steps he's taken to get healthier.  Can prove through his actions since, that he's healed and made amends with those he has wronged... Then maybe I'd be okay with the hiring but ultimately, I'd rather go with someone else... Even if less qualified.

• Cheers 3

There are some real rumblings coming out of Tampa. 

Mathieu Darches name is out there right now. The lightning are advertising a job opening for the position of Assitant General Manager and Director of Hockey Operations which just happens to be Darches role. He is believed to be one of the remaining candidates. Would not leave a comment when asked about the Canucks open GM position. 

Would be.. amazing. 

Rick Dhaliwal amongst sources. This has some real legs to it. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

There are some real rumblings coming out of Tampa. 

Mathieu Darches name is out there right now. The lightning are advertising a job opening for the position of Assitant General Manager and Director of Hockey Operations which just happens to be Darches role. He is believed to be one of the remaining candidates. Would not leave a comment when asked about the Canucks open GM position. 

Would be.. amazing. 

Rick Dhaliwal amongst sources. This has some real legs to it. 

This sounds too good to be true, rather have this guy than any other name we have heard like Burke, Allvin and Mellanby....hope there are some legs to this!

30 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:
Add Mathieu Darche's name to the Vancouver GM search mix. Hearing that Darche interviewed and is among the final 5 Canucks GM candidates. Patrik Allvin, Scott Mellanby, Sean Burke also among final candidates. Obviously there's another candidate as well.

Futa or MacFarland is the other one I would guess.

No surprise:

Irf: Talking to a few players, they look at this mgmt team and some of them were like ok we got people that know what they're doing here. Not to say they didn't know what they were doing before but it is a little different now with the people in charge.

• 11 months later...