The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thread for those who disagree with the Rutherford hire

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

Whatever JR has achieved in select US markets, I'm afraid he wouldn't be allowed to in Cdn ones.

Is the OBC(ol' boy's club) a thing in this corrupt league? Do the same standards apply to all teams? Are transactions, trades & other details about as credible as the on-ice officiating? It's a multi-billion $ thing..folks can reach their own conclusions.

Don't like that this guy has a history of bleeding young assets - but in truth, I haven't followed his moves too closely. Find it very hard to maintain interest in the exploits of the yank clubs, for a number of yrs now.

At the end of the day, it's the Aqua's coin/choice. Just hope they've hired a person who is honest, sincere & dedicated. It's the least this fanbase deserves.

& OP, good idea for a post-thread. Don't listen to the neg-Nellies. +1

38 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Just remember with those mistakes came 3 cups. 

Failing forward. A lot of things in life are about being in the right place at the right time. 

I'm not sure how old you are but after awhile , you start to realize that everything you were told about hard work and competence isn't really true. Some people get to very high places without putting in the work or the competence. And i identified JR as one of those ppl about 5 years ago. 

In the investment world , Cathy Wood is another one of those ppl. Ross Gerber is too. 

• RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Failing forward. A lot of things in life are about being in the right place at the right time. 

I'm not sure how old you are but after awhile , you start to realize that everything you were told about hard work and competence isn't really true. Some people get to very high places without putting in the work or the competence. And i identified JR as one of those ppl about 5 years ago. 

In the investment world , Cathy Wood is another one of those ppl. Ross Gerber is too. 

I'm honestly sad that this is your outlook on life. My life experiences has taught me the exact opposite. There are a few people who get lucky and succeed in life without hard work, but the vast majority of successful people I have encountered in my life both personal and business got where they are through hard work.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I'm honestly sad that this is your outlook on life. My life experiences has taught me the exact opposite. There are a few people who get lucky and succeed in life without hard work, but the vast majority of successful people I have encountered in my life both personal and business got where they are through hard work.

I'm sad that you still believe in that ethic. It's liberating when you realize that its not true 

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

I'm ok with Rutherford as long as he doesn't hire Botterill to be the GM. Botterill was terrible in Buffalo and was part of the Seattle group that made all those awful selections to build their team.

Botterill sucks. 

Botterill looked like ass in Buff because of ownership IMO. I think he's a very bright up and coming GM. His tenure in Pitts was good. I'd be open to him coming here actually.

Who does well in Buff? It's a $&!# show. The ownership meddles more than Jerry Jones and what's worse is they do it behind the scenes. 

Who do you think other GM’s would like to speak to in the interview process? 
FA or JR? 
It came down to this and limiting our options by having the former due the hiring/interviews.  
Im betting they looked at the cost of Ford and hiring a President and it just made sense. Nobody has as much experience on the Buisness side of things as JR. That is what he is here for and you bet the Canucks got one of the best in the game, let alone available to run the organization. 

BRAVO!!

21 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I'm sad that you still believe in that ethic. It's liberating when you realize that its not true 

Well, I guess we can both feel sad for each other. Only one of has spent their entire day complaining on the internet though. If that's being "liberated" then I'm totally cool keeping my head in the sand. Seems like a tough way to spend the days.

Edited by Shayster007

6 minutes ago, luongianone said:

Botterill looked like ass in Buff because of ownership IMO. I think he's a very bright up and coming GM. His tenure in Pitts was good. I'd be open to him coming here actually.

Who does well in Buff? It's a $&!# show. The ownership meddles more than Jerry Jones and what's worse is they do it behind the scenes. 

Yeah I'm on the fence about this one, but having one of the younger minds in the hockey business might actually be a nice change of pace over the old boys club we have had as of late.

I was perfectly fine with what JB was doing. Should have gotten a real coach. If this is what it took oh well. Pretty excited about things now. I’m not sold on Rutherford as a GM at his age but if everything is done properly and a GM comes in before any moves are made. I’m fine and dandy with how this is playing out.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

So tired of all the negativity around the Rutherford hiring and undermining everything he has accomplished. 

People seem to think Crosby, Malkin, and Letang magically won cups.  They were together since 2006-07.  They didn't win a Cup until 2015-16... 9 years later!!

Rutherford joined the Penguins in 2014.  And yes, he traded futures including 1st round picks for a chance at the Cup.  That's what ANY GM would have done if their core included Crosby, Malkin and Letang.  Not to mention Fleury.

Upon his arrival in 2014, he acquired Hornquist for Neal.

In 2015, he traded a 1st for David Perron.  In 2016, he flipped Perron for Hagelin.

Also in 2016, he acquired Bonino from Vancouver for Sutter.

The big one in 2016 is acquiring Kessel and others for Kapanen and futures.

Here is the top scorers from the Pens in their Cup win in 2016:

1. Kessel - 22pts (acquired by GMJR)

2. Crosby - 19pts

3. Malkin - 18pts

4. Bonino - 18pts (acquired by GMJR)

5. Hagelin - 16pts (acquired by GMJR)

6. Letang - 15pts

7. Hornquist - 13pts (acquired by GMJR)

Rutherford brought in the supporting cast needed to put them over the top.

So give it a rest.  Rutherford also built the Canes that won in 2006. 

Penguins won the Stanley Cup in 2009

• Vintage 1

I admit he wasn't my first choice (Gorton) but i'll wait for his choice of GM first. He sets the direction, not the trades and assets.

He gets a grace period while we observe.

Besides, the biggest complaint those HF guys had against him was that he bled assets AFTER they won their cups (Carolina, Pittsburgh). As far as I'm concerned, Jim can sign a team of Peewees and E.Rikssons to 10 mil contracts for the next decade if we can just get our one cup.

If the idea really was to create an anti-Rutherford echo chamber, I'd say it's failed. Having an old experienced hand as president seems like a good move tbh, could sandwich a young GM between him and Bruce. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll trade away all our assets but so far the only move has been calling up Juulsen so maybe this is a bit premature?