The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thread for those who disagree with the Rutherford hire

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Nick Kypreos is basically laughing at how aggressive Jimmy Rutherford will be. I think Rathbone and our 1st will be gone this year.

I don't want to trade the first, but Rathbone should be available; we have a surplus of offence-first  LD.  A hockey trade involving him makes a lot of sense, possibly for a young center or a more defensive minded D.,

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Did you know Kypreos suggested the Oilers trade Draisaitl in Feburary of 2018? You know, right before he broke out and became one of the best players in hockey.

All Kyper is saying is that Rutherford will be aggressive. Do you think he's wrong ? Like trade Rathbone and our 1st this year agressive

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

But  Benning had the sense to keep every other pick and/or have some development going behind the scenes. Rutherford doesn't have that sense. He will trade Rathbone without thinking much of it if he thinks he can get a piece for this year

I'm one of the few who feel a sense of concern around this like you do. I don't want to have the "win now" mentality, as our guys are still young, and I'm concerned that our cupboards will be even emptier after JR is done. Of course, if it works then all is forgotten, but many teams have failed throughout the years in an attempt to trade for a cup.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I don't want to trade the first, but Rathbone should be available; we have a surplus of offence-first  LD.  A hockey trade involving him makes a lot of sense, possibly for a young center or a more defensive minded D.,

I remember having some battles with you about Rathbone earlier this season, but with hindsight you were probably right. Based on what I saw this year I overrated him quite a bit (although that might have had something to do with our terrible coaching at the time), and with both OEL and Hughes locked in long term, he's probably a redundant piece here. No objection using him to land a more defensive LD, a good right handed center/center prospect, or as a piece to land us that elusive top pairing right D we need 

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

All Kyper is saying is that Rutherford will be aggressive. Do you think he's wrong ? Like trade Rathbone and our 1st this year agressive

I don't know. A few people have said that Rutherford has already commented that Vancouver is in a different position than Pittsburgh was when he became GM there. If these comments are accurate, then there isn't a reason to believe he'll treat the Canucks like he treated the Pens. 

And you seem to believe that "aggression" is inherently a negative trait. I'd much rather have a management team willing to be aggressive in filling holes than one content to sit idly by and do nothing. 

And this is assuming that your idea that Rutherford will be acting as GM is correct, which at this point we have no reason to believe is true. He stepped down as GM in Pitts, indicating that he no longer wanted to operate as a GM. If he and Aqualini wanted him to operate as GM, why wouldn't he have been named both president and permanent GM? Why would Aquilini be okay with paying a "pencil pusher" GM to essentially do nothing, especially considering he has to eat the remainder of Green, Baum, Benning and Weis's salaries? It's just speculative bull$&!#.

Farm team rankings https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2911430-nhl-farm-system-rankings-which-team-has-the-best-group-of-prospects

Dead last. Pittsburgh Penguins.

First. LA Kings.

LA has won the cup in 2012 and 2014 and here we are in 2021 and they have the top prospect pool according to this report. So it shows that you can in fact, win cups and have a future. But Aqualini chose the Pittsburgh model when he could have chosen the Kings model.

I think all of our GMs since Nonis were working within the Kings model. Which is why i supported all 3 of them. But now that is all changed

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Wat 3

7 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Farm team rankings https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2911430-nhl-farm-system-rankings-which-team-has-the-best-group-of-prospects

First. LA Kings.

LA has won the cup in 2012 and 2014 and here we are in 2021 and they have the top prospect pool according to this report. So it shows that you can in fact, win cups and have a future. But Aqualini chose the Pittsburgh model when he could have chosen the Kings model.

I think all of our GMs since Nonis were working within the Kings model. Which is why i supported all 3 of them. But now that is all changed

LA has been terrible for several years while Pittsburgh has consistently been one of the better teams in the league during that time period.

Just stop.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

First. LA Kings.

Rutherford has said before he prefers the Chicago model which was skill and discipline which the Pens were similar to style of play over the Kings which. Expect us to place importance in speed and players able to make plays at high speeds.

8 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

First. LA Kings.

there is no model, there are humans making decisions about other humans  in real time. vancouver has a completely unique set of assets and circumstances than pittsburgh did. 

the canucks have a hall of famer with 3 rings making those decisions now. rutherford will do what he needs to do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Rutherford has said before he prefers the Chicago model which was skill and discipline which the Pens were similar to style of play over the Kings which. Expect us to place importance in speed and players able to make plays at high speeds.

Should be only minor tweaks needed then, and he'll be happy with the coach in place so people can stop complaining about Bruce being an Aquilini hire. 

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Man you are obsessed with this Rutherford thing. Quit whining about it already. 

Put your hero Benning’s trade and win/loss record next to Rutherford’s. If you are still crying it’s an irrational hate.

Agree 3 cups says all and dont say he had crosby malkin. If this was so easy edmonton with mcdavid draisaitl would have won the cup.

55 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

First. LA Kings.

Lol look at Benning’s moves again then try to tell us he was working under any model let alone LA’s.

25 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol look at Benning’s moves again then try to tell us he was working under any model let alone LA’s.

Benning wasn't trading ALL of his picks to the point where we had ONE 1st round pick in 7 years. He would trade one , wait a year , trade another , keep the next ect.

Rutherford gambles so big that he has the chance , if it goes wrong , to outdo Millbury. 

The next 3 years will fly by. We will know soon enough. The first trade will come soon enough. 

• Wat 2