The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which core players will be traded to reshape the roster of the team?

Rate this topic

With Rutherford hired as President and interim GM we know there are probably at least 1 core player traded to reformat this roster into a playoff team and my opinion it is going to be at least 1 of Boeser, Miller or Horvat with all 3 needing long term deals in the next 18 months 

This isn’t who do you want to trade but who is most likely to be traded to reformat the Canucks into a better team 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Nothing in Rutherford’s history suggests he is itching to trade a core player. Middling support guys like Pearson, Chiasson, etc should be more worried imo. 

Those guys are not going to bring anything back specially since Pearson has NTC so it will be someone from the core to bring in draft picks or prospects or both to turn the team around

You can’t trade garbage for gold and think it’s realistic, the only way the Canucks are going to get 1 or 2 future top 4 RHD is through a trade or draft and they do not have the draft capital to do that 

17 minutes ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

With Rutherford hired as President and interim GM we know there are probably at least 1 core player traded to reformat this roster into a playoff team and my opinion it is going to be at least 1 of Boeser, Miller or Horvat with all 3 needing long term deals in the next 18 months 

This isn’t who do you want to trade but who is most likely to be traded to reformat the Canucks into a better team 

I could see Boeser being dealt, especially if he heats up for the remainder of the season.  Kind of counter intuitive if Boeser heats up of course, but the Canucks are deeper on wing than they are at D or at C so, in terms of Canucks C depth, I think Pettersson, Miller and Horvat are more important to keep than Boeser. 

I'm considering the fact that Boudreau talked about how the Canucks have a good top 3C in Pettersson, Horvat and Miller, and that's exactly how he's lined them up in his first two games.  Unless the Canucks can improve on one of those Cs through a trade or address D while also acquiring a serviceable C by trading one of Pettersson, Horvat or Miller, then I don't see any of them moving.  Boeser is the logical choice to address needs at D and C.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

Simple Mathematics with the salary cap the Canucks can’t keep all 3 and being last in a division with an expansion team will definitely make that at least one is not coming back 

You should switch your title.

Odjick 4 Premiere speculates what might happen? Not suggest any sense of background on Rutherford.

Rutherford presided over a Penguins team that kept Letang, Malkin & Crosby together. Actually worked quite hard at putting supporting pieces in place to get them up from a fringe play off team. Supplemented a young core (hint , hint ) of Erik Staal, Justin Williams with older veterans like Rod the Bod, Glen Wesley.   

I could see him working to improve our spare parts more than re-shuffling the deck.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You should switch your title.

Odjick 4 Premiere speculates what might happen? Not suggest any sense of background on Rutherford.

Rutherford presided over a Penguins team that kept Letang, Malkin & Crosby together. Actually worked quite hard at putting supporting pieces in place to get them up from a fringe play off team. Supplemented a young core (hint , hint ) of Erik Staal, Justin Williams with older veterans like Rod the Bod, Glen Wesley.   

I could see him working to improve our spare parts more than re-shuffling the deck.

Are you honestly comparing the Penguins with Crosby, Malkin and Letang to a team that is in last place in their division behind an expansion team?

This is way different that he went through with the Penguins and closer to Carolina 

Just now, Odjick 4 Premier said:

Are you honestly comparing the Penguins with Crosby, Malkin and Letang to a team that is in last place in their division behind an expansion team?

This is way different that he went through with the Penguins and closer to Carolina 

Check his Carolina cup team with a 21 or 22 year old 1C.

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Miller is a fairly obvious choice:

He's older than the "core"

His contract is coming to an end

He is a very good player that will get a good return

And he takes poorly timed penalties.

Yup, if any of the top six go I'd put money on it being Miller. 

He'll never be more valuable than he is now, on a very palatable contract for his production and with an additional year tacked on. If someone traded for him they'd have him for two playoff/cup runs. He's the oldest of the bunch (Pearson ain't a core guy), and he'll be due for a significant raise. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, if any of the top six go I'd put money on it being Miller. 

He'll never be more valuable than he is now, on a very palatable contract for his production and with an additional year tacked on. If someone traded for him they'd have him for two playoff/cup runs. He's the oldest of the bunch (Pearson ain't a core guy), and he'll be due for a significant raise. 

I could see Miller being traded for the exact same reasons you outline, but the Canucks have to get a high quality C back in that case which might impact how well they can address other deficiencies in the line-up.

2 minutes ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

I meant when he built that team and traded Sutter for Staal 

He is more known for all his trades to support his core.

Not tear it down.

See if you can find his history of trading core players? As you propose is spelled out by his hiring/

• Cheers 1

Just now, EternalCanuckFan said:

I could see Miller being traded for the exact same reasons you outline, but the Canucks have to get a high quality C back in that case which might impact how well they can address other deficiencies in the line-up.

They might not need a high end centre coming back with the top end of the draft loaded with centre prospects 

6 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I dunno, depends on whether they see Pettersson playing center or not going forward. If they do it'll be him and Horvat as our top six guys (Horvat is who I'd prioritize retaining, he's irreplaceable for us as demonstrated by his leading the league in faceoffs). If they do trade Miller the return will likely be impacted by who and what they want at center going forward. Admittedly I still see Miller as more of a winger. If they plan on bringing in someone to capably play 3c, and they should, somebody would have to shift over regardless. 

If anything I'd try and use Miller to upgrade our D personally. Picks and prospects would be fine too, those can always be flipped. 

Edited by Coconuts

57 minutes ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

Ideally, we’d keep both Miller and Horvat while moving Boeser if it had to come down to this.   Kilomovich would then replace Boeser.  I hope they find a way to keep all three however.  

Maybe moving Pearson for a pick would go a long way in giving us cap space?  

I think a lot of it will depend on Boeser and if he can get his game back under Boudreau.  He already looks like he’s on that path.