The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Canucks fire assistant GM Chris Gear and analytics director Jonathan Wall

Rate this topic

Dazzle

1 minute ago, TFerguson said:

I do not understand why some people are surprised/upset by this. A new PHO obviously gets to decide what he wants from his staffed positions. 

This article from Ian Mac is SO ANNOYING. Everyone calls for change and complains about mngmt. Then change happens and IMac leads the way in bitching about it. Nothing about these firings undermines the positivity of the last week. The only thing undermining positivity is our sh*tty media who use major sports publications as their own personal blogs!

I wish fans could vote sport journalists in or out of their jobs...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/firings-canucks-undermine-unexpectedly-upbeat-week/ 

Maybe they undermine his abilities to get information.

Seems like of all the stuff going on he was most upset by these two.

classic case of get rid of the guys I don’t like but keep the ones I do.
Everyone’s the same just some can bitch to a bigger audience that’s all. 

34 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

No way is that Aqua. That fell under Rutherford’s jurisdiction as soon as he was hired and from what we have heard he is very protective of his jurisdiction. But what is puzzling is how Rutherford made the determinations that these two should be fired without setting foot here, Were there some serious black marks against them that made it obvious they should be fired? It just seems harsh and without due diligence at this point.

I can't help but wonder if maybe francesco approached rutherford about taking over some time ago, before firing benning, and maybe rutherford turned him down or was on the fence. things got to a point where aquilini couldn't wait any longer and had to make the changes, so he did, they put together their little braintrust to search for the new guys, and then rutherford changed (or made up) his mind which, while making them look kinda pretty dumb with the whole press conference thing, was actually their first choice anyway.

you can't fire your financial guys when you don't have anyone to step in and replace them while you're operating in ltir and are on the brink of cap oblivion.

3 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

On your theory, Aqua elevated Gear to the caretaker managing group and then he fired him days later. That just seems a very peculiar way to do business. Not impossible just weird. Of course we are all just speculating but, hey,  that’s all part of the hobby. Cheers.

He didn't elevate him a few days ago did he though? Made AGM in 2020? Gear kept doing what he was doing before Benning was fired until he got the boot. So its not peculiar. If anything it would have been more peculiar if he was the first to go. Wasn't top priority to dismiss him but as Farhan Lalji has reported, it was already in the works prior to hiring JR.

You know, it's not speculating, it's preventing wrongful information being spread to others. I follow the trail that makes most sense and based on what credited sources are saying before we actually know from the sources themselves - i.e Francesco Aquilini, Micheal Doyle and now very recently Jim Rutherford. 

Looking forward to the JR presser and am sure Imac will ask him about the decision. Cheers!  

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Aha, I thought you talked about the dairy product. You have to give a better description.

When you just say quark, do you mean I’m part of the hadron?

very few people in north america have even heard of a dairy product called quark. 

These guys have been with the team for a long time, longer than the GM that was just canned, and operated thru regimes.  One has been there for 20 years or so.  That is a long time to keep a track record of good and bad and.....mediocre.  Sometimes its the head guy that's the problem, sometimes it is the inter regime change guys behind the scenes that have been there too long, giving the same wrong advice, giving the yes's when there should have been no's, and there is something to be said about the culture of the management group, that wouldn't even reach out to guys like Toffoli during their tenure.  As far as I'm concerned, there should be a scalpel out, and quick and bloody change is desperately needed.  From the guy who cleans the towels, to the guy at the top, everyone is under the microscope, and they better adapt quick, or get the hell out of the way!

1 minute ago, tas said:

very few people in north america have even heard of a dairy product called quark. 

Not missing much either. Trying to think of what "sträv - (swedish)" would be in english - it's kinda dry and rough in terms of mouth feel? Not a fan. 

Anyways, throwing another thing out in this thread.

Chris Gear - 12 years with the organization?

Jonathan Wall - 20 years with the organization?

Maybe it was the other way around - I mean we barely even hear about these guys. 

Sometimes you've just been in a place for too long and it's time for a set of fresh eyes. Healthy view by an organization looking to turn a corner. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, DeltaSwede said:

Not missing much either. Trying to think of what "sträv - (swedish)" would be in english - it's kinda dry and rough in terms of mouth feel? Not a fan. 

Maybe it was the other way around - I mean we barely even hear about these guys. 

Sometimes you've just been in a place for too long and it's time for a set of fresh eyes. Healthy view by an organization looking to turn a corner. 

Nja, asså, det finns riktigt bra varianter och blandar du med bör blir en del riktigt mumsiga.

5 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

What does Ron Delorme do exactly?  He’s been around for quite a while too, right?  Is he so far away from actual important decisions though, that he’s safe?  

Just now, Alflives said:

What does Ron Delorme do exactly?  He’s been around for quite a while too, right?  Is he so far away from actual important decisions though, that he’s safe?  

He's chief amateur scout and been with the organization for a long time. Can't really answer if he is safe, I have absolutely no idea. I would hope so based on the things I've read about him during his time here. Clearly viewed as a credible scout within the organization. Were reports of Gradin and Delorme being the loudest voices in picking Pettersson. 

Canucks actually have a very good overview of their organization here:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/team/coaches-and-staff

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/team/front-office

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ron Delorme is the Stan Smyl of the Scouting Department.

Nobody messes with Stan and nobody messes with Ron.

It always been that way.

Where are you from?  Another planet?

(Delorme was a force for us.)