The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you believe?!!! There's no way but up.

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

What were the odds?  5-6% chance of making the playoffs?  It sure would have been more feasible if they pulled the plug on Green and Co around game 15 like I had hoped they would, but here we are 28 games in sitting at 24th in the league and it's only December.  Winning seems much more feasible now that they've thrown a new coach in with a different style that matches what the pundits have been saying all along (i.e. the Canucks need to play to their strengths and not sit back).  The Canucks were losing close games with dismal performances from their key players.  The record was worse than the team actually was.  So....

Do you believe that this team can make the playoffs now that there's a new style and perhaps some momentum?

I do, and it could be very good for us in the playoffs if they do pull the miracle off.  

Way too early?  Yes, perhaps.  But this team is too good to be a bottom level team getting a high draft pick this year.  Watching the boys play hard and making it a tight one for the playoff race is the best option we have as fans I believe, so let's get behind them.  At least I don't have the apathy I had 10 days ago.  For once I'll give Aquilini full credit for the fast turnaround so far.

• Wat 1

Too early to tell, but sure a stark difference statistically and to the eye test too.  Those special teams numbers are absolutely atrocious.  Anyone knows how much special teams have an impact on a game, so it's shocking that they kept going to the well with the same coaching staff.  Thank gawd....

I believe we can make the playoffs. Anything can happen with a functional offense and Vezina caliber netminder. I’m not going to pretend like I think we’re in a better position heading into the playoffs than last time though. Our defense is putrid. We’ll get eaten alive by the big boys of the conference in round 1 or 2.

Edited by Mathew Barzal

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

What were the odds?  5-6% chance of making the playoffs?  It sure would have been more feasible if they pulled the plug on Green and Co around game 15 like I had hoped they would, but here we are 28 games in sitting at 24th in the league and it's only December.  Winning seems much more feasible now that they've thrown a new coach in with a different style that matches what the pundits have been saying all along (i.e. the Canucks need to play to their strengths and not sit back).  The Canucks were losing close games with dismal performances from their key players.  The record was worse than the team actually was.  So....

Do you believe that this team can make the playoffs now that there's a new style and perhaps some momentum?

I do, and it could be very good for us in the playoffs if they do pull the miracle off.  

Way too early?  Yes, perhaps.  But this team is too good to be a bottom level team getting a high draft pick this year.  Watching the boys play hard and making it a tight one for the playoff race is the best option we have as fans I believe, so let's get behind them.  At least I don't have the apathy I had 10 days ago.  For once I'll give Aquilini full credit for the fast turnaround so far.

One game at a time + 'win the week.'

Lets try and get to .500 first.   

Once we do that, then we can start creating shoestring long term plans.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

realistically? prolly not we need to climb 5 teams just to get the last wild card spot.. hard to imagine 5 teams just all of a sudden falls off a cliff. maybe 1 or 2 of them.. which means you still need to climb over 3-4 teams. if say just 1 of the 5 teams plays .650 hockey till the end.. we would literally need to be winning .750 the rest of the season just to be close

1 hour ago, Shekky said:

Yeah seems BB's coaching style fits really well with how this team is. They showed the stats of how the Canucks are playing with BB compared to TG and it was night and day difference. Here it is from TSN.

image.thumb.png.dd86233c97957e05fc72484461b553f6.png

The funny thing about this is GA/GP.

3.16 under Green and Green was actually trying to play defensively at the expense of offence since he knew that was our weakness.

I hate to dump on a guy that's already fired but man, Green really needed to be fired. Even to his own benefit, he needed to take a step back. When you are in it, you just can't see what you are doing wrong.

• Vintage 4

6 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I believe we can make the playoffs. Anything can happen with a functional offense and Vezina caliber netminder. I’m not going to pretend like I think we’re in a better position heading into the playoffs than last time though. Our defense is putrid. We’ll get eaten alive by the big boys of the conference in round 1 or 2.

Sure.  Just like last time with Travis Green.   First up that year - one of the very best defensive teams.   Beat them.  Next up the cup champs.   Beat them too ... next up ... Vegas...ok i think you might be on to something lol.     If this team even makes the playoffs that's a big win.   IF we win a round it's amazing.   Something the Sedin teams did ... 2 times.   Same with the WCE teams.   

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

realistically? prolly not we need to climb 5 teams just to get the last wild card spot.. hard to imagine 5 teams just all of a sudden falls off a cliff. maybe 1 or 2 of them.. which means you still need to climb over 3-4 teams. if say just 1 of the 5 teams plays .650 hockey till the end.. we would literally need to be winning .750 the rest of the season just to be close

One of the teams we have to climb past is Dallas and they've played 4 fewer games. LA is also above us on the leader board and they've played 3 fewer games. Every team we'd need to catch has played fewer games than our guys.

The playoffs are a pipe dream. I'm not against having one but I'm crossing my fingers draft picks aren't traded to dream the impossible dream.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rutherford gonna wheel and deal to get us into the playoffs.  Once we are in anything can happen.  

What is he wheeling and dealing? We don’t have the prospects or picks to do that. Teams aren’t just going to give us players for nothing.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

I would like to see an upgrade on the 4th line, if Sutter isn’t good to go it has to be addressed. There was a point last night where Maurice recognized the Canucks had the 4th line out with Burrows and Hunt , out came Scheifele Wheeler Conner Schmidt Morrisey and it was ugly , they were dominant and led to a goal. That would be worse on the road for matchups. 

• Cheers 1