The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you believe?!!! There's no way but up.

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

realistically? prolly not we need to climb 5 teams just to get the last wild card spot.. hard to imagine 5 teams just all of a sudden falls off a cliff. maybe 1 or 2 of them.. which means you still need to climb over 3-4 teams. if say just 1 of the 5 teams plays .650 hockey till the end.. we would literally need to be winning .750 the rest of the season just to be close

They need to win the week. No need to look at it like that. They are 6 points out of a playoff spot with 50 games to go. Its not impossible to get in. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

One game at a time + 'win the week.'

Lets try and get to .500 first.   

Once we do that, then we can start creating shoestring long term plans.   

It's easy to jump on the train if they're over .500 with more than half the season left.  Curious to see who the believers are at this point when it's less conceivable.  The odds aren't in their favour, but if you were a player on the team, you'd have to believe at this point.  So why not as a fan?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

They need to win the week. No need to look at it like that. They are 6 points out of a playoff spot with 50 games to go. Its not impossible to get in. 

What does getting in do for this team long term? We have been down this road. Is our goal to make the playoffs or build a Stanley cup contender? In a way it sets this team back if they do because they lose positioning in the draft and they aren’t built to be a playoff team. So we would just be out the first round. It seems fans are still ok with just trying to make the playoffs. It does nothing in the long term for this organization or we would have seen improvement after the bubble. If we start dealing picks again to try to make the playoffs that’s just really bad as will continue to put us back.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

1 hour ago, John_Guest said:

One of the teams we have to climb past is Dallas and they've played 4 fewer games. LA is also above us on the leader board and they've played 3 fewer games. Every team we'd need to catch has played fewer games than our guys.

The playoffs are a pipe dream. I'm not against having one but I'm crossing my fingers draft picks aren't traded to dream the impossible dream.

Look at how many gamea we have left. 50 games and you are already quitting because LA has what? 2 points on us? Its not even christmas yet and you think Canucks are done lol. If Canucks win 5 or 6 more in a row they would be easily in a playoff spot. Also if we played more gamea  means the other teams will have a more compressed schedule and that means back to back games, losses and injuries.

1 hour ago, John_Guest said:

One of the teams we have to climb past is Dallas and they've played 4 fewer games. LA is also above us on the leader board and they've played 3 fewer games. Every team we'd need to catch has played fewer games than our guys.

The playoffs are a pipe dream. I'm not against having one but I'm crossing my fingers draft picks aren't traded to dream the impossible dream.

Very true.  I can part with Brock no problem if it helps solve our D, but I don't want to see future picks and prospects being tossed away to throw bandaids on the situation.  

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Very true.  I can part with Brock no problem if it helps solve our D, but I don't want to see future picks and prospects being tossed away to throw bandaids on the situation.  

Exactly. It’s my biggest fear. The blueline/third/fourth line/pk all need a lot of help. We don’t have the depth or picks to fix that. It puts this organization in a tough spot to do anything.

5 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It's easy to jump on the train if they're over .500 with more than half the season left.  Curious to see who the believers are at this point when it's less conceivable.  The odds aren't in their favour, but if you were a player on the team, you'd have to believe at this point.  So why not as a fan?

The "statistical probability" and "analytics" crowd do have a great point, in that, the stats are NOT on our side in terms of making the playoffs, but that's what makes sports so great.  Odds gets broken all the time and teams/players get hot at any given point.  I hate to say it, but that's why a lot of these "statistical probability" and "advanced analytics" type people were nerds and virgins in high school.   Athletics is a whole different animal and that's why you see a lot of teams and players defying the odds more than one might think:

For example - if we had told any of these "statistical probability" types that the Canucks would win 5 of their next 6 games last week, we would have been laughed out of the building.  What were our "statistical probabilities" in 1994 before we dashed to the cup?  

In the world of sports, anything can happen at any given point.  With respect to the "statistical probability" crowd and their immense talents (they are often smart people that land very good jobs), there's a reason why they don't make it as athletes.  

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

What is he wheeling and dealing? We don’t have the prospects or picks to do that. Teams aren’t just going to give us players for nothing.

Rutherford is a crazy guy and could trade a core player to land a more effective player.

19 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

What does getting in do for this team long term? We have been down this road. Is our goal to make the playoffs or build a Stanley cup contender? In a way it sets this team back if they do because they lose positioning in the draft and they aren’t built to be a playoff team. So we would just be out the first round. It seems fans are still ok with just trying to make the playoffs. It does nothing in the long term for this organization or we would have seen improvement after the bubble. If we start dealing picks again to try to make the playoffs that’s just really bad as will continue to put us back.

Our goal is to first make the playoffs, gain experience and do it again next year. You dont go to playoffs for the first time in a long time and be considered a cup contender. Doesnt work like that, just look at the Avs. You need to fail multiple times in the playoffs before you can gain the necessary experience to succeed. Also who talked about dealing picks? But we sure as hell wont be rebuilding the rebuild. I see shuffling of players or retooling but dont see rebuilding unless they want to trade the whole core and start from scratch with no guarantee if the next core can compete for playoffs  nevermind the cup. You either make the playoffs and build on that or trade the core and start over for another 10 years. Petersson, Horvat and Miller wont stay for another long rebuild and Hughes would just leave for NJ once his contract is done. Think very carefully about what you wish for because Sabres have not been able to do anything even after landing many top picks.

Edited by DefCon1

9 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Exactly. It’s my biggest fear. The blueline/third/fourth line/pk all need a lot of help. We don’t have the depth or picks to fix that. It puts this organization in a tough spot to do anything.

I disagree that they need a lot of help in all three areas.  Certainly the blueline, but trading Brock (+ others?) for a solid top 4 D would make the world of difference.  Having Hamonic, Poolman and Schenn as your bottom three with OEL, QH, TM and another top 4 D is pretty solid overall in my opinion.  Solid enough if you have the offence to support it.

We certainly need another couple of bottom 6 guys, but they're lower cost assets and sometimes just finding someone with the right energy.  Losing Brock would be a necessary evil but his cap hit would be pretty awful for his inconsistency.  I'd rather have another Garland or Miller at the $5M/yr point.

10 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya but there are far too many hold to fix. One core player isn’t going to do that. You have to be realistic here. Other teams aren’t that dumb.

Other teams like Buffalo can be that dumb. Look where Eichel is now, he was tge 2nd overall pick and franchise player traded for Tuch, a 3rd line player.

9 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Our goal is to first make the playoffs, gain experience and do it again next year. You dont go to playoffs for the first time in a long time and be considered a cup contender. Doesnt work like that, just look at the Avs. You need to fail multiple times in the playoffs before you can gain the necessary experience to succeed. Also who talked about dealing picks? But we sure as hell wont be rebuilding the rebuild. I see shuffling of players or retooling but dont see rebuilding unless they want to trade the whole core and start from scratch with no guarantee if the next core can compete for playoffs  nevermind the cup. You either make the playoffs and build on that or trade the core and start over for another 10 years. Petersson, Horvat and Miller wont stay for another long rebuild and Hughes would just leave for NJ once his contract is done. Think very carefully about what you wish for because Sabres have not been able to do anything even after landing many top picks.

What is Brock Boeser realistically going to get you right now? Not based on his past but right now? He has had a terrible year and is often injured. I just want to know what you think gms are thinking when they see him. You aren’t getting a ton back for him. They will use his injuries and the fact he is having a bad year to say no way am I giving you that with all his inconsistencies.

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

What were the odds?  5-6% chance of making the playoffs?  It sure would have been more feasible if they pulled the plug on Green and Co around game 15 like I had hoped they would, but here we are 28 games in sitting at 24th in the league and it's only December.  Winning seems much more feasible now that they've thrown a new coach in with a different style that matches what the pundits have been saying all along (i.e. the Canucks need to play to their strengths and not sit back).  The Canucks were losing close games with dismal performances from their key players.  The record was worse than the team actually was.  So....

Do you believe that this team can make the playoffs now that there's a new style and perhaps some momentum?

I do, and it could be very good for us in the playoffs if they do pull the miracle off.  

Way too early?  Yes, perhaps.  But this team is too good to be a bottom level team getting a high draft pick this year.  Watching the boys play hard and making it a tight one for the playoff race is the best option we have as fans I believe, so let's get behind them.  At least I don't have the apathy I had 10 days ago.  For once I'll give Aquilini full credit for the fast turnaround so far.

I think the Canucks were sitting at a 1% chance to make the playoffs before we went on this run of 5 wins in our last 6.  Now we're sitting at 13% according to moneypuck.  By next week we could be in the playoff picture if we sweep next week as well.  I'm super pumped.  I'm more invested in the Canucks now than at any point during this season.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

You know what the craziest thing is?  Despite us having the worst first 25 games to start a season in Canucks history, if we sweep next week, we are right back to .500.  Maybe a tall order, but we get a tired Carolina team, a bottom feeder Blue Jackets team, a divisional team who we should beat in the Sharks, and the Laffs.  It doesn't look that impossible.

• Cheers 1