The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you believe?!!! There's no way but up.

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

You know what the craziest thing is?  Despite us having the worst first 25 games to start a season in Canucks history, if we sweep next week, we are right back to .500.  Maybe a tall order, but we get a tired Carolina team, a bottom feeder Blue Jackets team, a divisional team who we should beat in the Sharks, and the Laffs.  It doesn't look that impossible.

Momentum is a funny thing....in both directions.  Cheers!

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

realistically? prolly not we need to climb 5 teams just to get the last wild card spot.. hard to imagine 5 teams just all of a sudden falls off a cliff. maybe 1 or 2 of them.. which means you still need to climb over 3-4 teams. if say just 1 of the 5 teams plays .650 hockey till the end.. we would literally need to be winning .750 the rest of the season just to be close

And when that one team falls off a cliff everyone else cleans up.

Say Edmonton losses every game from now till the end ( I know not real) that means Calgary amd Seattle etc are picking up points.

5 hours ago, gurn said:

Too far back, with too many games in hand for the competition, and not enough games left in the season.

6 hours ago, John_Guest said:

One of the teams we have to climb past is Dallas and they've played 4 fewer games. LA is also above us on the leader board and they've played 3 fewer games. Every team we'd need to catch has played fewer games than our guys.

The playoffs are a pipe dream. I'm not against having one but I'm crossing my fingers draft picks aren't traded to dream the impossible dream.

We have 55 games left. 2/3 of the season. Anything can happen...

• Like 4

Just now, Alflives said:

BB took over after game 25, and we were 8-15-2.

I see us, in the 57 games he coaches, going 37-17-3.

Will 95 points get us into the playoffs?  

Probably will Alf. Its a tall order, but stranger things have happened.

• Vintage 1

I suppose I could not believe but sure anything is possible. I love what I'm seeing in this team and the much needed changes. 

Our guys have needed something to play for and overcome. Even if we had done better earlier this season, people were still writing us off as a non-playoff team.

I love Boudreau's approach to incremental progress, breaking down the process into smaller, manageable goals while changing our systems, shooting more, relying on our stars, thinking out of the box, and playing to our strengths. 

I'm all in on this team proving people wrong and defying the odds. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I suppose I could not believe but sure anything is possible. I love what I'm seeing in this team and the much needed changes. 

Our guys have needed something to play for and overcome. Even if we had done better earlier this season, people were still writing us off as a non-playoff team.

I love Boudreau's approach to incremental progress, breaking down the process into smaller, manageable goals while changing our systems, shooting more, relying on our stars, thinking out of the box, and playing to our strengths. 

I'm all in on this team proving people wrong and defying the odds. 

Divide and conquer.  A wonderful strategy.  We can't win all 57 games, but we can win 2 of the next 3.

I learned this when I was a 20 year old going to a buffet after a workout.  "I can't eat that whole third plate of food, but I can eat that bit of chicken"......then "I can't eat the rest of the plate, but I can eat those fries".....lol.  Thanks for the flashback.  Glad I don't go to buffets anymore.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Divide and conquer.  A wonderful strategy.  We can't win all 57 games, but we can win 2 of the next 3.

I learned this when I was a 20 year old going to a buffet after a workout.  "I can't eat that whole third plate of food, but I can eat that bit of chicken"......then "I can't eat the rest of the plate, but I can eat those fries".....lol.  Thanks for the flashback.  Glad I don't go to buffets anymore.

Such a great approach. Especially given the psychological stress of losing, falling further behind, and the task of overcoming it becoming more of an impossibility. Winning the week, though... totally doable. Shooting more ... possible. Being offensively free and aggressive on the forecheck... can do. 

Lol ... agree on the buffet. I learned to be much more selective to feel satisfied ... less is more ... especially the breads and pasta. ;)

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

As long as someone can prevent Jim Rutherford from making impulsive trades, I think we will win some games and be in the hunt. But if Miller, Horvat or anyone of any kind of value gets shipped out in the next week or 2 , I think the team will fall back down.

Keep it in your own thread you made to complain ;)

kidding. mostly. 

I definitely believe. Not sure why some people want to blow it up. I feel like some people want to just tank till they draft gretzkey reincarnated. If we traded petterson we are not getting someone as good or better. Best case we get picks. Unless it's a top 5 pick odds say they won't be very good or make it. Even with a top 5 pick odds are against us. Instead we should focus on the fact that we are winning despite Petterson. Imagine if he was on his game? 

The Canucks were not dominated against winninpeg. They traded chances. Watching live Van had so many opportunities but many times they miscommunicated. These plays will come with time as they get used to the new system. Let them finish out the season. Let petterson try to return to form until at least next Nov although I think he's going to start improving a bit each game. 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

BB took over after game 25, and we were 8-15-2.

I see us, in the 57 games he coaches, going 37-17-3.

Will 95 points get us into the playoffs?  

It’ll be close, but it really depends on the other teams in the conference and specifically the division. 

Can Edmonton keep up their torrid pace to begin the season? What about Vegas and Calgary?

18 minutes ago, BobbyGaudette said:

I definitely believe. Not sure why some people want to blow it up. I feel like some people want to just tank till they draft gretzkey reincarnated. If we traded petterson we are not getting someone as good or better. Best case we get picks. Unless it's a top 5 pick odds say they won't be very good or make it. Even with a top 5 pick odds are against us. Instead we should focus on the fact that we are winning despite Petterson. Imagine if he was on his game? 

The Canucks were not dominated against winninpeg. They traded chances. Watching live Van had so many opportunities but many times they miscommunicated. These plays will come with time as they get used to the new system. Let them finish out the season. Let petterson try to return to form until at least next Nov although I think he's going to start improving a bit each game. 

Well, that’s the hope isn’t it? That Petey gets going here soon. I mean, the fact that he wants to kill penalties and is doing that, and then that shoot out goal the other night for the winner, I think is indication that he could be turning the corner. We’ll see. 

I’m not worried about Petey. My son and I have his jersey, we’re rooting for him to come back to his old form, and we believe he can get there.

The rest of the team is playing much much better than under Green. So I’m happy about that. I didn’t think we could get close to .500, but here we are on the eve of tomorrow’s game against Carolina, with a chance to be 12-15-2. Only three games under .500 with about 2/3 of the season to go. The other teams above the Canucks are going to go through slumps as well - I mean, Edmonton is already there, and Calgary too. Matter of time for Colorado and Vegas to join them in due time. Every team goes through highs and lows. It’s just a matter of time where the Canucks need to take advantage and win when those teams lose - that’s how we’re going to make up ground, and that’s going to be very difficult to do

Because those teams are very good. 

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, BobbyGaudette said:

looking elias pettersson GIF by Twitter

13 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Look at how many gamea we have left. 50 games and you are already quitting because LA has what? 2 points on us? Its not even christmas yet and you think Canucks are done lol. If Canucks win 5 or 6 more in a row they would be easily in a playoff spot. Also if we played more gamea  means the other teams will have a more compressed schedule and that means back to back games, losses and injuries.

I think you may be misunderstanding me. My point is we're not just points behind the teams were chasing. We're games in hand against them. One of the two teams were chasing for a wild card spot right now as I understand it is Colorado. They have 4 games in hand on us and their 8 points ahead. Catching Colorado is a pipe dream. But as I said I'm not against those.

I'm only against trading draft picks to chase one.

13 hours ago, John_Guest said:

I think you may be misunderstanding me. My point is we're not just points behind the teams were chasing. We're games in hand against them. One of the two teams were chasing for a wild card spot right now as I understand it is Colorado. They have 4 games in hand on us and their 8 points ahead. Catching Colorado is a pipe dream. But as I said I'm not against those.

I'm only against trading draft picks to chase one.

2/3 of the season left leaves a little light at the end of the tunnel.  The Canucks have to be ridiculously good from here on in and I'm not sure Halak can do his part when Demko needs a break, so this is still unlikely.  But the point is if you believe that they can do it.  If so, we've gone from a state of apathy to hopeful in less than a week.  From not caring to watch games to having interest again in following the season.  

• Like 1