The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Acquiring a RHD, Cap and Jimmy Rutherford (Discussion/Proposal)

Well, we need a long term solution for a #2 RHD. How does Jimmy Rutherford accomplish this, with our coffer empty, and without loosing momentum?

Let's look at this from Rutherford's POV.........

#1. Next year,  Brock Boeser (25 in Feb. 2022)  will be negotiating his new contract, with a qualifying offer of $7,500,000 

#2 The year after JT Miller (29 in Mar. 2022) will be a UFA and up for contract renewal, he is making $5,250,000 currently

#3. The same year Miller is up for renewal, Bo Horvat (27 in April, 2022) is up, and he is a UFA as well, he is making $5,500,000 currently

There you have it, one of these 3 will get moved sometime between now the TDL and the draft, Jimmy Rutherford will have to move one of these players to

fit under the cap

So let's look at these players, and ask ourselves which one, gets moved? This is what I have come up with.

#1. Bo Horvat, our captain, who, for all his warts, is a very consist , second line center, now although his value would be high, with Quinn Hughes signing a 6 year X  $7,850,000, and Pettersson signing a $7,350,000 x 3. I believe his ask would be the lesser than that of Pettersson, even though Pettersson is on a 3 year deal and a RFA. So, I am calling Horvat new contract at around $7,000,000, which is lower than what he would get on the open market. I say he stays.

This bring us to the 2 remaining players, Miller, who is arguably our best forward, and Boeser, who is 4 years younger than Miller, and who fits the age of the core better. But this is where it become murky for me, as even with Boeser's qualifying offer being $7,500,000, his extension should be around $7,000,000 X 6, if the Canucks are using an internal cap. Miller how ever, if he maintains his current level of play, will be asking north of $8,000,000, which does not fit our cap in any way. He will also be asking for term ( X6 years) like every other first line leading scorer. I can not see it being any less. 

This is where, it circles back to a #2 RHD, and intertwines with either Miller or Boeser, as we will also be trying to fit this #2, under the cap, with the other players, we keep. We are tight, and we are within defined needs.

This again is where, it gets hazy for me, as trading Miller for a 25/26 #2 RHD, will be a $5,000,000 to $6,000,000 dollar cost. which really puts us back into a cap crunch. It is with these issues in mind, that it leads me, to think that Rutherford will look to trade our 2022 1st for a player of Cenak's level, which would be a heavy cost, or would trade Miller for a seasoned young RHD (think Dobson or Schneider) or possibly a player like Horonek out of Detroit , who may not be quite what we need. Or go all in on a 2022 draft RHD, such as either Nemec or Jiricek, both of which are a year or 2 a way. ( that has never been Rutherford's style, so I am not convinced that is an option for him.

So, what is it? Trade Miller or Boeser? Draft a RHD or trade for a young RHD? They are intertwined, as I said, and now that the real Trader Jim is here, I am confused, and not exactly convinced that any of my arguments hold water?

Please note, that although I put this down as a trade proposal/discussion, it is really a discussion piece, with the understanding that some may offer up a trade idea..............

Again, this is not about moving pieces tomorrow, but rather later closer to the TDL or later................

Thanks JIAHN

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

But if this team gets back into the playoff picture come trade deadline, or is sitting in a nice spot, our 1st would def. be in play of a 25/26 y/o #2 C, if hes affordable cap wise, or we have money on LTIR ie. Tampa. I think thats what good teams have to do they have to keep getting better. 

Asset management. 

We lose a first we must find a way to get it back. Cant be trading away picks every year. Not every year will we draft studs in the same draft like Podz and Hogs but we need our scouting dept. to step up.

5 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well, we need a long term solution for a #2 RHD. How does Jimmy Rutherford accomplish this, with our coffer empty, and without loosing momentum?

#1. Next year,  Brock Boeser (25 in Feb. 2022)  will be negotiating his new contract, with a qualifying offer of $7,500,000 + 10% = $8,250,000

#2 The year after JT Miller (29 in Mar. 2022) will be a UFA and up for contract renewal, he is making $5,250,000 currently

#3. The same year Miller is up for renewal, Bo Horvat (27 in April, 2022) is up, and he is a UFA as well, he is making $5,500,000 currently

There you have it, one of these 3 will get moved sometime between now the TDL and the draft, Jimmy Rutherford will have to move one of these players to

fit under the cap

So let's look at these players, and ask ourselves which one, gets moved? This is what I have come up with.

#1. Bo Horvat, our captain, who, for all his warts, is a very consist , second line center, now although his value would be high, with Quinn Hughes signing a 6 year X  $7,850,000, and Pettersson signing a $7,350,000 x 3. I believe his ask would be the lesser than that of Pettersson, even though Pettersson is on a 3 year deal and a RFA. So, I am calling Horvat new contract at around $7,000,000, which is lower than what he would get on the open market. I say he stays.

This bring us to the 2 remaining players, Miller, who is arguably our best forward, and Boeser, who is 4 years younger than Miller, and who fits the age of the core better. But this is where it become murky for me, as even with Boeser's qualifying offer being $8,250,000, his extension should be around $7,000,000 X 6, if the Canucks are using an internal cap. Miller how ever, if he maintains his current level of play, will be asking north of $8,000,000, which does not fit our cap in any way. He will also be asking for term ( X6 years) like every other first line leading scorer. I can not see it being any less. 

This is where, it circles back to a #2 RHD, and intertwines with either Miller or Boeser, as we will also be trying to fit this #2, under the cap, with the other players, we keep. We are tight, and we are within defined needs.

This again is where, it gets hazy for me, as trading Miller for a 25/26 #2 RHD, will be a $5,000,000 to $6,000,000 dollar cost. which really puts us back into a cap crunch. It is with these issues in mind, that it leads me, to think that Rutherford will look to trade our 2022 1st for a player of Cenak's level, which would be a heavy cost, or would trade Miller for a seasoned young RHD (think Dobson or Schneider) or possibly a player like Horonek out of Detroit , who may not be quite what we need. Or go all in on a 2022 draft RHD, such as either Nemec or Jiricek, both of which are a year or 2 a way. ( that has never been Rutherford's style, so I am not convinced that is an option for him.

So, what is it? Trade Miller or Boeser? Draft a RHD or trade for a young RHD? They are intertwined, as I said, and now that the real Trader Jim is here, I am confused, and not exactly convinced that any of my arguments hold water?

Please note, that although I put this down as a trade proposal/discussion, it is really a discussion piece, with the understanding that some may offer up a trade idea..............

Again, this is not about moving pieces tomorrow, but rather later closer to the TDL or later................

Thanks JIAHN

Jan, I think you may be wrong about the Boeser qualifying offer. His actual salary in the final year of his contract is more than 120% of his AAV so, as I understand it, his AAV would be the starting point for his qualifying offer. This would make his qualifying offer about 2 million less than your calculation.

They follow a formula and are based on the salary (not cap hit) of the current year of the RFA's contract as it expires. Under the new rules, if that final year's salary is so large that it is more than 120% of the AAV, the AAV is used instead of the salary to determine the qualifying offer.Jul 11, 2020

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Jan, I think you may be wrong about the Boeser qualifying offer. His actual salary in the final year of his contract is more than 120% of his AAV so, as I understand it, his AAV would be the starting point for his qualifying offer. This would make his qualifying offer about 2 million less than your calculation.

They follow a formula and are based on the salary (not cap hit) of the current year of the RFA's contract as it expires. Under the new rules, if that final year's salary is so large that it is more than 120% of the AAV, the AAV is used instead of the salary to determine the qualifying offer.Jul 11, 2020

Thanks Rick

I actually thought the qualifying offer was a 110% of his last year of actual salary, but Cap friendly has it without the 10% raise, which makes it $7,500,000. I thought I had read that old contracts had that 10% raise, but I guess I was wrong.  I actually don't worry too much about QO's because, I think Brock would sign a longer deal, where the qualifying offer would not apply.............

But I was wrong on the amount, either way. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I will go fix it.

Where is @mll to clear this up!

Cheers!

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

My objective is to get a debate going to discuss what Jim Rutherford might do about with the cap situation and the hole on the RHD side.

Just wondering what others think might happen. In any case, it appears to me, that someone off the forwards is moved to fill the defensive void.

The thought of Miller leaving, really scares me! And I am not sure Boeser brings enough? Hmmmmm?

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

That's only for new contracts signed after the CBA MOU was approved.  Boeser is grandfathered and doesn't fall under that new rule - his qualifying offer will be 7.5M.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Here's the problem. 

The Canucks have no cap space, so we need to make room. 

Other teams in the league. Half also have no cap room.

The Canucks can't take on salary to get draft picks. 

We can't afford to give up draft picks to get good cheap player and have other teams pick up any underachieving contracts. 

We also don't have a lot on the farm to get good cheap players on our team.

The team is kind of boned. In 2023-24 then we get some breathing space. 

What would be ideal?

Having young players that can take over for Dickinson/Pearson/Poolman/Hamonic

That would shave $7.4 million 

But you'd have to be comfortable with Juulsen, and perhaps Bowey or Rathbone on Defence.

Klimovich and Lockwood on forward lines. 

Then we pretty much have no depth and only Woo and DiPietro on the farm. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

My objective is to get a debate going to discuss what Jim Rutherford might do about with the cap situation and the hole on the RHD side.

Just wondering what others think might happen. In any case, it appears to me, that someone off the forwards is moved to fill the defensive void.

The thought of Miller leaving, really scares me! And I am not sure Boeser brings enough? Hmmmmm?

Hey J - Rutherford told the Province that he's looking to add futures to the club, not move any out. So based on that, I'd assume Brock is staying put since he's still relatively young and under team control. 

Bo is just too useful, the C, and also still just 27. I guess its conceivable he's moved but that seems like a last resort thing to me. My. guess is they work hard on an extension for him.

So that leaves Mr. Miller. I have no doubt we can get a 20-32 pick and a mid-round for him and basically recover what we coughed up for him. But to me thats selling low, he's shown he's better now than when Tampa moved him.

It seems to always swing back to Dobson for me. Can we put the two oldest GMs together and see what shakes out? Is Miller worth Dobson?

___

I guess the other possibility is, and I hate to say it, move Petey?

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Hey J - Rutherford told the Province that he's looking to add futures to the club, not move any out. So based on that, I'd assume Brock is staying put since he's still relatively young and under team control. 

Bo is just too useful, the C, and also still just 27. I guess its conceivable he's moved but that seems like a last resort thing to me. My. guess is they work hard on an extension for him.

So that leaves Mr. Miller. I have no doubt we can get a 20-32 pick and a mid-round for him and basically recover what we coughed up for him. But to me thats selling low, he's shown he's better now than when Tampa moved him.

It seems to always swing back to Dobson for me. Can we put the two oldest GMs together and see what shakes out? Is Miller worth Dobson?

___

I guess the other possibility is, and I hate to say it, move Petey?

Yeah I definitely think its either Petey, or a lateral move from our prospect pool (Rathbone for a defenseman with less offensive upside, but more size and who can play a shutdown role). 

I hope our 2022 1st rounder doesnt get traded, our prospect pool is very very shallow..

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

#1. Next year,  Brock Boeser (25 in Feb. 2022)  will be negotiating his new contract, with a qualifying offer of $7,500,000 

fit under the cap

This bring us to the 2 remaining players, Miller, who is arguably our best forward, and Boeser, who is 4 years younger than Miller, and who fits the age of the core better. But this is where it become murky for me, as even with Boeser's qualifying offer being $7,500,000, his extension should be around $7,000,000 X 6, if the Canucks are using an internal cap. Miller how ever, if he maintains his current level of play, will be asking north of $8,000,000, which does not fit our cap in any way. He will also be asking for term ( X6 years) like every other first line leading scorer. I can not see it being any less. 

Thanks JIAHN

I agree we will have to trade a top 4 forward at some point in next 6 months?

Miller is 28 X 2 yrs left will want big contract 7.5-- 8 million range? NYI need a guy like Miller---

Dobson 6'3, 22. RD, Johnston, 27 6'5, 230,,  2nd rounder. -- . 

Or Devils,,

Severeson 27, RD, 6'2 - Woods 26, 6'2 , 2 nd rounder --- Miller and  Motte - Motter will demand 2 million in the summer we have Lockwood to fill his spot..

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

fit under the cap

Thanks JIAHN

Jan, this is obviously going to be a challenge and I think we need to look at a number of factors before coming up with a strategy.

1. Salary cap is going up $1M next season I believe and we should probably conservatively expect another $1M the following year.

2. The Luongo re-capture penalty comes off next season so that is another $3M for next season.

3. Another $0.5M will be gone before we need to re-sign J.T. and Bo as the buyouts for Virtanen and Holtby expire.

In summary I think we are going to get an additional $5.5M in cap space for 2023/24 when Bo and J.T.;s contracts are up. There are no contracts of significance between between now and then that need resolution other than Boeser and I think we can get him for something like $1M more than his existing contract. Based on keeping the existing roster that would leave us with a minimum of about $4.5M in additional cap to sign Bo and J.T.. Hamonic's $3M contract will have expired as well and a portion of that could also be allocated to BO and J.T. depending on how you replace Hamonic. It would be tight but that may work.

Now for the issue of adding a #2 RHD which I believe is far more difficult to resolve. Keeping the status quo as outlined above would not allow us to add an existing true #3 RHD as they are far too expensive and extremely difficult to attain other than thru free agency. Again, some things to consider below.

1. We currently have the 3rd most expensive group of D-men in the Western conference and adding another $6M or and we'd be tops.

2. No contending team is likely going to trade away a true #2 RHD

3. No also ran teams are likely to trade away a projected #2 RHD as they are likely re-building.

4. Can't go UFA route unless we let Bo/J.T. go WITHOUT taking salary back.

It appears to me that our options come down to acquiring a true #2 RHD around the age of 27 to 30 in a trade with a non-contending team in an actual hockey trade that exchanges cap for cap. The 2nd option would be acquiring a projected #2 RHD from a contending team as they may want a Horvat or J.T. for a cup run. That trade would be difficult though as most contenders are tight against the cap and would require you to take salary back UNLESS you are dealing at the trade deadline. Even then, the contending team may only want to add expiring contracts unless they have significant contracts coming off the books the following season. The last option available would be to trade a projected top 6 forward such as Podkolzin or Hoglander ++ for a projected #2 RHD.

Do we want an existing, expensive #2 RHD in the 27-30 range? We could maybe get one from a non contender for Horvat+.

Do we want to trade Podz for a projected #2? Tough question and there would be lots of debate on that one

Do we want to wait and see if we can find a gem in the draft?

Long, long reply with no real good answers for ya.............

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Jan, this is obviously going to be a challenge and I think we need to look at a number of factors before coming up with a strategy.

1. Salary cap is going up $1M next season I believe and we should probably conservatively expect another $1M the following year.

2. The Luongo re-capture penalty comes off next season so that is another $3M for next season.

3. Another $0.5M will be gone before we need to re-sign J.T. and Bo as the buyouts for Virtanen and Holtby expire.

In summary I think we are going to get an additional $5.5M in cap space for 2023/24 when Bo and J.T.;s contracts are up. There are no contracts of significance between between now and then that need resolution other than Boeser and I think we can get him for something like $1M more than his existing contract. Based on keeping the existing roster that would leave us with a minimum of about $4.5M in additional cap to sign Bo and J.T.. Hamonic's $3M contract will have expired as well and a portion of that could also be allocated to BO and J.T. depending on how you replace Hamonic. It would be tight but that may work.

Now for the issue of adding a #2 RHD which I believe is far more difficult to resolve. Keeping the status quo as outlined above would not allow us to add an existing true #3 RHD as they are far too expensive and extremely difficult to attain other than thru free agency. Again, some things to consider below.

1. We currently have the 3rd most expensive group of D-men in the Western conference and adding another $6M or and we'd be tops.

3. No also ran teams are likely to trade away a projected #2 RHD as they are likely re-building.

It appears to me that our options come down to acquiring a true #2 RHD around the age of 27 to 30 in a trade with a non-contending team in an actual hockey trade that exchanges cap for cap. The 2nd option would be acquiring a projected #2 RHD from a contending team as they may want a Horvat or J.T. for a cup run. That trade would be difficult though as most contenders are tight against the cap and would require you to take salary back UNLESS you are dealing at the trade deadline. Even then, the contending team may only want to add expiring contracts unless they have significant contracts coming off the books the following season. The last option available would be to trade a projected top 6 forward such as Podkolzin or Hoglander ++ for a projected #2 RHD.

Do we want an existing, expensive #2 RHD in the 27-30 range? We could maybe get one from a non contender for Horvat+.

Do we want to trade Podz for a projected #2? Tough question and there would be lots of debate on that one

This summer Boeser qualifying  contract 7.5 million? Big decision to make he will be 25 yrs old? 

The other option is trying to get a specialist rather than an actual #2. We have plenty of offense all through our lineup, incl our defense core. Given that Hughes plays well with Hamonic, maybe we leave that pair alone and just try to upgrade one of our bottom guys (poolman) to a pure shutdown man, like Willie Mitchell was for us back in the day.

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

This summer Boeser qualifying  contract 7.5 million? Big decision to make he will be 25 yrs old? 

Ya, that qualifying offer is going to make it very difficult to trade Boeser, with a reasonable return,  unless the remainder of his season is much better than it has been to date. It may come down to making the qualifying offer or letting him walk for nothing and see a CDC meltdown. I'm betting we qualify him.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

The other option is trying to get a specialist rather than an actual #2. We have plenty of offense all through our lineup, incl our defense core. Given that Hughes plays well with Hamonic, maybe we leave that pair alone and just try to upgrade one of our bottom guys (poolman) to a pure shutdown man, like Willie Mitchell was for us back in the day.

Agreed, I think obtaining a #2 RHD is just not going to work for us. I think we need to set our sights a little lower than a Willie Mitchell type though as a Willie clone would be pretty damn expensive. LOL

• Cheers 1

Ya, that qualifying offer is going to make it very difficult to trade Boeser, with a reasonable return,  unless the remainder of his season is much better than it has been to date. It may come down to making the qualifying offer or letting him walk for nothing and see a CDC meltdown. I'm betting we qualify him.

They can also by-pass the qualifying offer by taking him to team elected arbitration without qualifying him.  It gives them more time to try and agree on a deal without having the risk of him simply signing his q.o.  They'd need to explain the situation to his side to not damage the relationship.  

If they can't get a deal done they would need to go through the arbitration process.  Boeser can elect a 1 or 2 year offer.  The award cannot be less than 85% of his last salary - ie 6.375M.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They can also by-pass the qualifying offer by taking him to team elected arbitration without qualifying him.  It gives them more time to try and agree on a deal without having the risk of him simply signing his q.o.  They'd need to explain the situation to his side to not damage the relationship.  

If they can't get a deal done they would need to go through the arbitration process.  Boeser can elect a 1 or 2 year offer.  The award cannot be less than 85% of his last salary - ie 6.375M.

That's an option that I had forgotten about (age thing I think). I hope we can avoid that route though because of the potential relationship damage as you have highlighted.