The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Acquiring a RHD, Cap and Jimmy Rutherford (Discussion/Proposal)

8 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree we will have to trade a top 4 forward at some point in next 6 months?

Miller is 28 X 2 yrs left will want big contract 7.5-- 8 million range? NYI need a guy like Miller---

Dobson 6'3, 22. RD, Johnston, 27 6'5, 230,,  2nd rounder. -- . 

Or Devils,,

Severeson 27, RD, 6'2 - Woods 26, 6'2 , 2 nd rounder --- Miller and  Motte - Motter will demand 2 million in the summer we have Lockwood to fill his spot..

I think I would be looking more for Miller............regarding the Severson + ?, if you add Motte, maybe what you say Sev, Wood, 2 X 2nd's at least

I think the 1st one is pretty good

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Jan, this is obviously going to be a challenge and I think we need to look at a number of factors before coming up with a strategy.

1. Salary cap is going up $1M next season I believe and we should probably conservatively expect another $1M the following year.

2. The Luongo re-capture penalty comes off next season so that is another $3M for next season.

3. Another $0.5M will be gone before we need to re-sign J.T. and Bo as the buyouts for Virtanen and Holtby expire.

In summary I think we are going to get an additional $5.5M in cap space for 2023/24 when Bo and J.T.;s contracts are up. There are no contracts of significance between between now and then that need resolution other than Boeser and I think we can get him for something like $1M more than his existing contract. Based on keeping the existing roster that would leave us with a minimum of about $4.5M in additional cap to sign Bo and J.T.. Hamonic's $3M contract will have expired as well and a portion of that could also be allocated to BO and J.T. depending on how you replace Hamonic. It would be tight but that may work.

Now for the issue of adding a #2 RHD which I believe is far more difficult to resolve. Keeping the status quo as outlined above would not allow us to add an existing true #3 RHD as they are far too expensive and extremely difficult to attain other than thru free agency. Again, some things to consider below.

1. We currently have the 3rd most expensive group of D-men in the Western conference and adding another $6M or and we'd be tops.

2. No contending team is likely going to trade away a true #2 RHD

3. No also ran teams are likely to trade away a projected #2 RHD as they are likely re-building.

4. Can't go UFA route unless we let Bo/J.T. go WITHOUT taking salary back.

It appears to me that our options come down to acquiring a true #2 RHD around the age of 27 to 30 in a trade with a non-contending team in an actual hockey trade that exchanges cap for cap. The 2nd option would be acquiring a projected #2 RHD from a contending team as they may want a Horvat or J.T. for a cup run. That trade would be difficult though as most contenders are tight against the cap and would require you to take salary back UNLESS you are dealing at the trade deadline. Even then, the contending team may only want to add expiring contracts unless they have significant contracts coming off the books the following season. The last option available would be to trade a projected top 6 forward such as Podkolzin or Hoglander ++ for a projected #2 RHD.

Do we want an existing, expensive #2 RHD in the 27-30 range? We could maybe get one from a non contender for Horvat+.

Do we want to trade Podz for a projected #2? Tough question and there would be lots of debate on that one

Do we want to wait and see if we can find a gem in the draft?

Long, long reply with no real good answers for ya.............

Great post, and exactly what I had come with myself.

I am a no for trading Horvat, Podkolzon, or Hogs..................and I absolutely hate the idea of this team without Miller..............

Which is exactly why I made this thread............. 

I do have an idea I have floated on HFBoards, which I will post a little later tonight, it's a little convoluted, but check back, and have a good laugh at my expense

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'm not advocating to move Petey, just wondering if its a possibility for JR.... if he views Petey as "just" as winger I do wonder what the plans might be. 

me too, I'm tired of moving those, and I liked the Miller and OEL/Garland additions. 

Jimmy, I am also in that camp......I will be posting a trade proposal here in just a bit........I hope you like it...................lolololololol!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

Ya the Holtby thing I never understood. He was a serviceable backup with experience and a cute turtle. Is 1 year of Halak that much of an upgrade that you would take a 2m cap penalty the following year??? Baffling move.

and a reason JB is not here.....................just one of them!

4 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

We’re actually in a horrible cap space situation. Our top 6F+top 3D + starting Goalie costs sooo much that  it leaves us with an average of 1.04m/player to fill out bottom6F, bottom3F and a backup. 

when nhl minimum wage is 750,000... that’s devastating in terms of depth. 

We’re paying waaay too much for our D and top6.  You can’t have 3 D making 6+.. you can have 2 and 3rd one making 4ish. And looking at other teams, you only want 4 players making above 5 at the most. You gotta then find players under 4 to round out your top 6. 

Analyzing what Benning has done, we need 4 Chiassons and 3 Hunts in order to retain everyone we have :huh:

Rutherford will have to correct this by dumping at least 1 core player. And 1 other that is making 5-6(Myers seems like the obvious choice). If we don’t, expect to lose 2 of Miller/Horvat/Hoglander in 18 months. And potentially Podkolzin the next year if he develops into a player that is good enough to get paid big. 

Bure.........great observation, but you just described the Pittsburg model

34 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Great post, and exactly what I had come with myself.

I am a no for trading Horvat, Podkolzon, or Hogs..................and I absolutely hate the idea of this team without Miller..............

Which is exactly why I made this thread............. 

I do have an idea I have floated on HFBoards, which I will post a little later tonight, it's a little convoluted, but check back, and have a good laugh at my expense

Yes i hate the idea of not having two or three total playoff reps without Miller as well ... we've already had one of them...and then just seeing him go sign somewhere else.   It is encouraging so far what Bettman said this week about their target to go up one million next season is met.   Hope that covid won't creep in a screw with us again on that front, assuming it won't still leaves us in a pickle with what to do about the team going forward.    It's ok to have vets in their 30's, every team needs them.   But hard to think Miller won't get a pretty large raise.   Same with Horvat.   BB could be mitigated with the right deal somewhat.    But all three that's 5/6 million more cap which has to come from somewhere else.     Doesn't seem likely.  20 games more could help define what happens.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

We’re actually in a horrible cap space situation. Our top 6F+top 3D + starting Goalie costs sooo much that  it leaves us with an average of 1.04m/player to fill out bottom6F, bottom3F and a backup. 

when nhl minimum wage is 750,000... that’s devastating in terms of depth. 

We’re paying waaay too much for our D and top6.  You can’t have 3 D making 6+.. you can have 2 and 3rd one making 4ish. And looking at other teams, you only want 4 players making above 5 at the most. You gotta then find players under 4 to round out your top 6. 

Analyzing what Benning has done, we need 4 Chiassons and 3 Hunts in order to retain everyone we have :huh:

Rutherford will have to correct this by dumping at least 1 core player. And 1 other that is making 5-6(Myers seems like the obvious choice). If we don’t, expect to lose 2 of Miller/Horvat/Hoglander in 18 months. And potentially Podkolzin the next year if he develops into a player that is good enough to get paid big. 

Spurgeon, Suter, Dumba (until recently) Josi, Ellis, Ekbolm...Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev...AP, Theodore, Martinez ... others too just ones off the top of my head.   Our forward group is actually one of the most even in the league.   Like theo St. louis cup team.   Vegas top six - Eichel 10, Stone 9.5, Patches 7, Marshmellow 5, Dadanov 5, Kalrsson 5.9 and they are one of the 5 US no state tax teams - same with TB ... Actually think right now we have a very balanced cap, it won't be like that for long though.   And we for sure need ELCs to keep coming in at a steady clip, as well as trading the right players to help with that.    Sucks to have all that dead cap just end up paying to keep guys past their prime.  

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Spurgeon, Suter, Dumba (until recently) Josi, Ellis, Ekbolm...Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev...AP, Theodore, Martinez ... others too just ones off the top of my head.   Our forward group is actually one of the most even in the league.   Like theo St. louis cup team.   Vegas top six - Eichel 10, Stone 9.5, Patches 7, Marshmellow 5, Dadanov 5, Kalrsson 5.9 and they are one of the 5 US no state tax teams - same with TB ... Actually think right now we have a very balanced cap, it won't be like that for long though.   And we for sure need ELCs to keep coming in at a steady clip, as well as trading the right players to help with that.    Sucks to have all that dead cap just end up paying to keep guys past their prime.  

We’ve got the 4th highest paid Defence total in the league. Behind only San Jose, Minnesota and Colorado. (We’re within 500,000 of Colorado and Minny)

Canucks have 29 million invested in the blue line, while most teams spend 21 million. 

@Rick Blight

@mll

@JM_

@Alflives

@higgyfan

@Patel Bure

@hammertime

@Ghostsof1915

Here is my proposal, with an explanation at the end...........................

This is a 3 way trade..........................

Vancouver trades JT Miller @ 50% to NY Rangers(through Arizona)

Vancouver trades T. Motte to Arizona

Arizona take 25% of JT Millers Cap hit

NY Rangers's trade Braden Schneider, 2022 -1st and one of Othman/Chytil

Results

Vancouver gets...................Braden Schneider, 2022-1st and Othman/Chytil

Arizona gets........................Motte

NY Rangers gets.................JT Miller at 1.3 Million for 2 runs at the Cup

Now, why we do this, is to reduce our cap to be able to pay the rest of our veterans and to obtain a blue chip RHD. the rest is pure gravy and to build for the future.

The Rangers do this to give Panarin 2 chances at the Stanley Cup. Getting a first line player for 1.3 million never happens, and softens any cap blow

Arinzona spends appox. 2 million, and gets a great team player, who can PK, and play 3rd line minutes. (Van may have to add a 4th to make it happen)

Now, the retention on Miller, allows other teams to make a bid on him as well.............who are they?

NY Islanders...................Dobson +

Pittsburg.........................Marino +

Devils.............................. Severson +

Colorado.........................Justin Barron ++

Bruins..............................Maybe ?......................they like veterans, and their veterans are getting old, one more kick at the cat?

Senators..........................Maybe ?......................They need some veteran leadership, and could possibly lock him up long term

Chicago...........................Maybe ?......................Toews and Kane are getting old maybe one last run

The point is there would be lots of suitors, and any type of cap retention, just increases the return. It will definitely depend on Jimmy Rutherfords opinion on where we are at, and when we will compete for a playoff spot. Any trade of a top veteran would normally not happen with Rutherford, so it will be interesting to see what he does, which is exactly what this thread is about.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Pitts is looking like a desperate team that really wants another chance in the playoffs.  They could be a good trading partner for Miller.  I'm not a fan of trading JT, but he could get a good return.

Pitts   JT ($5.25x2)   Hamonic ($1.50) 50%  or  JT + Motte ($1.225) + Burroughs($.750x2)

I prefer the Hamonic move, but I think Pitts would want the Motte/Burroughs deal.

Van   Marino RD ($4.4x6yrs)   Blueger C ($2.2x2)

There are several contenders that are in need of a top 6 RW.  Brock would probably be an easy trade.

I just don't know about Pete though.  It could be a big mistake moving him right now.

I really don't want to see the 1st in a trade.

Marino is their 2nd most used D after Letang and their top PK D.  Blueger has averaged 16:30 and is also their top PKer.  

The mandate in Pittsburgh is to maximise the years of Crosby/Malkin.   

Marino and Blueger are more useful to Pittsburgh than the pieces going the other way + Malkin is going to return at some point.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Marino is their 2nd most used D after Letang and their top PK D.  Blueger has averaged 16:30 and is also their top PKer.  

The mandate in Pittsburgh is to maximise the years of Crosby/Malkin.   

Marino and Blueger are more useful to Pittsburgh than the pieces going the other way + Malkin is going to return at some point.  

I am not saying you are wrong mll

But something I do sometime is play players against each other in my mind to see if i am right or wrong..............

I would bet Miller would school Marino most days

and Hamonic and Blueger would be a saw off

Maybe/maybe not, but I do see Marino containing Miller much

Do you have stats saying otherwise?

16 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I am not saying you are wrong mll

But something I do sometime is play players against each other in my mind to see if i am right or wrong..............

I would bet Miller would school Marino most days

and Hamonic and Blueger would be a saw off

Maybe/maybe not, but I do see Marino containing Miller much

Do you have stats saying otherwise?

Hamonic can't play Blueger's role for Pittsburgh and can't play Marino's either.

Miller is valuable but Pittsburgh has Crosby and will get Malkin back. What he brings is not as important as what Blueger and Marino bring for their team.  Miller is more of a luxury while Marino is essential at moving the puck from the back end and so is Blueger with his defensive role that allows others to focus on offence.  

It's how the pieces all fit together that makes a team strong not just adding good players.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Hamonic can't play Blueger's role for Pittsburgh and can't play Marino's either.

Miller is valuable but Pittsburgh has Crosby and will get Malkin back. What he brings is not as important as what Blueger and Marino bring for their team.  Miller is more of a luxury while Marino is essential at moving the puck from the back end and so is Blueger with his defensive role that allows others to focus on offence.  

It's how the pieces all fit together that makes a team strong not just adding good players.

#1..they can play against each other, so there you see who is stronger............

#2. I agree on Marino being needed

#3. Miller against Blueger and Miller wins...................lol..............IMHO

PS............I don't really think it is a great fit either, but it is a possibility with some tinkering

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@Rick Blight

@mll

@JM_

@Alflives

@higgyfan

@Patel Bure

@hammertime

@Ghostsof1915

Results

Now, why we do this, is to reduce our cap to be able to pay the rest of our veterans and to obtain a blue chip RHD. the rest is pure gravy and to build for the future.

The Rangers do this to give Panarin 2 chances at the Stanley Cup. Getting a first line player for 1.3 million never happens, and softens any cap blow

Arinzona spends appox. 2 million, and gets a great team player, who can PK, and play 3rd line minutes. (Van may have to add a 4th to make it happen)

Now, the retention on Miller, allows other teams to make a bid on him as well.............who are they?

Bruins..............................Maybe ?......................they like veterans, and their veterans are getting old, one more kick at the cat?

Senators..........................Maybe ?......................They need some veteran leadership, and could possibly lock him up long term

Chicago...........................Maybe ?......................Toews and Kane are getting old maybe one last run

The point is there would be lots of suitors, and any type of cap retention, just increases the return. It will definitely depend on Jimmy Rutherfords opinion on where we are at, and when we will compete for a playoff spot. Any trade of a top veteran would normally not happen with Rutherford, so it will be interesting to see what he does, which is exactly what this thread is about.

Arizona would only get Motte in that 3-way?  :-o

With regards to Miller, here is my take.  About 7-10 days ago, I was onboard with trading *both* Miller and Horvat for two elite prospects while tanking this season, but I then came to my senses and realized that deliberately tanking would kill the spirit of our team and would potentially lead to a number of players requesting trades.........and so I decided to nix that fantasy.

HOWEVER - if the Canucks “give it their all” between now and the deadline and still look like they realistically won’t make the playoffs, then I absolutely would move JT Miller for an elite RHD prospect like Braden Schneider.

A Miller for Schneider deal would not only likely allow us to move on from Hamonic when the time comes (season after next), but would also allow us to comfortably re-up both Horvat and Boeser.  I know Boeser is not having a great season but he’ll likely turn it around at some point.  Petey as well.  

So yes - move Miller for a young RHD if we are out of it come trade deadline.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

#1..they can play against each other, so there you see who is stronger............

#2. I agree on Marino being needed

#3. Miller against Blueger and Miller wins...................lol..............IMHO

PS............I don't really think it is a great fit either, but it is a possibility with some tinkering

Pittsburgh has the best PK in the league at 92.4% - Blueger has a role for that.  

On pt 3 put a weaker defensive player than Blueger vs Miller and he likely scores even more.  Moving him creates a significant hole in their lineup. Teams can't just remove a matchup/shutdown C and think goals against aren't going to go up.  Games are won on goal differential - limiting goals against has its importance in building a coherent and competitive team.

Edited by mll

9 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@Rick Blight

@mll

@JM_

@Alflives

@higgyfan

@Patel Bure

@hammertime

@Ghostsof1915

Results

I like your creativity Jan and maybe there is something along these lines that can get done. I want our new management team to assess our core over the next few months and determine if the pieces are there to move us to a cup contender. If the pieces aren't there then I am fine with management making the necessary changes to take us to the next level.

I do not see Arizona taking Motte on as a rental for this season as he will be UFA at the end of this season and I doubt he would re-sign with the Coyotes. Your proposal would leave Arizona with nothing but an added cap hit of $1.3M for next season if he signs elsewhere. I really doubt adding a 4th would be sufficient to get their interest and would suggest a 2nd would be the minimum they would accept.

To address the specifics above I want to start by noting the contract value for Miller is only good for this year and next. In my mind, this means only teams that see themselves as strong cup contenders this year or next are going to give up the type of assets you are looking for in return. That would eliminate Chicago, New Jersey, Ottawa and perhaps even the Islanders based on play this season. I have mixed feelings about whether the Rangers see themselves as true contenders yet or not but for purposes of this discussion I will assume they do. 

I believe your targeted assets in your proposal leads to a preference to deal with the Rangers but it is going to be more expensive than you think as I noted above. Are you prepared to offer up something like a Woo and a 3rd or 4th?

Lastly, when do you see the Miller trade improving the team and taking them to the next level? I believe our core, particularly Bo, want to see immediate improvement or he is likely to walk at UFA. A 3 or 4 year wait is likely not going to be acceptable to any of the core but they will all be under contact in any event. I really worry about Bo though as I believe he will only re-sign if he sees a cup contender in the very near future.

• Cheers 1

If we are out of it at the TDL he will have a good opportunity to move some salary out, if not it will be more difficult but a good GM will find a way. We may have to retain a bit on Myers and Pearson but those contracts have to go. Find cheaper replacements for Poolman and Hamonic too. These guys are all replaceable. Miller is 29 so he's the big forward you move to get that top 4 RHD. People forget Brock was our best player last year and it wasn't even close.

11 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@Rick Blight

@mll

@JM_

@Alflives

@higgyfan

@Patel Bure

@hammertime

@Ghostsof1915

Results

I like this idea a lot.

I do think AZ will want a bit more and/or a pick to make this work. I'd be willing to give up a 2023 2nd to make this idea work.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@Rick Blight

@mll

@JM_

@Alflives

@higgyfan

@Patel Bure

@hammertime

@Ghostsof1915

Results

Although three way deals are probably more complicated then your proposal, I'm all for getting Braden Schneider.

But, I'm wondering if Brock Boeser makes more sense for them.

They are pretty heavy on the left side but fairly thin on the right.

• Cheers 1