Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Reports) KHL news & NHL Relationship.

Rate this topic


SilentSam
 Share

Recommended Posts

I highly doubt the KHL is the problem.

The issue is Tram. If he doesn't want to play in North America. So be it.

Could we use him? Absolutely. 

 

Whatever decision he makes, that's his call of what's best for him and his family. 

Besides in the KHL players the money they make is tax free. So even if he makes $2 million US

That's like $4 million in an NHL salary. Coupled with his wife has a career. And I'm pretty sure housing prices aren't nuts like here. 

I can understand why the NHL isn't maybe what he wants. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I highly doubt the KHL is the problem.

The issue is Tram. If he doesn't want to play in North America. So be it.

Could we use him? Absolutely. 

 

Whatever decision he makes, that's his call of what's best for him and his family. 

Besides in the KHL players the money they make is tax free. So even if he makes $2 million US

That's like $4 million in an NHL salary. Coupled with his wife has a career. And I'm pretty sure housing prices aren't nuts like here. 

I can understand why the NHL isn't maybe what he wants. 

Tryamkin aside..   a better relationship with the KHL will be better for both leagues,.  As it is with the agreements the NHL has with the European Leagues.

Prospects, and signed players shared and developed for the NHL around the world.

and a buffering of sorts, for players leaving one continent to another.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Tryamkin aside..   a better relationship with the KHL will be better for both leagues,.  As it is with the agreements the NHL has with the European Leagues.

Prospects, and signed players shared and developed for the NHL around the world.

and a buffering of sorts, for players leaving one continent to another.

That I have no doubt. The league itself might be struggling (KHL). But the players getting tax free income, gives them advantages other leagues just don't have. 

The fact they are willing to talk with the NHL is an improvement. 

  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Seems pretty obvious. KHL is on the rise. As the gap between NHL and KHL gradually narrows, it will be in the NHL's best interest to be on nicer terms with them.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that if former NHL/AHL/ECHL slugs like Curtis Valk, Nik Goldobin, Brandon Leipsic, Kenny Agostino, Jori Lehtera, Stephane DaCosta, Ryan Spooner, Niklas Jensen are among the top 30 scorers in the KHL, the margin between the NHL and KHL is in no terms narrowing. 

 

My only surprise is not seeing Virtanen up there...but then again, not.

 

Where a better relationship between the two league is of benefit is hoping kids like Podkolzin doesn't get the run-around from their respective KHL clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is the KHL even going to exist in five years?  The league loses money hand over fist, doesn’t it?  The only way it can survive might be to become part of a greater NHL?  It’s kind of like the CFL in that way.  

I think they’ll survive Alf,  they  s p r a w l e d themselves with too many teams.. directly trying to mimic the size of the NHL , without realizing their own fanbase, or the fans who can afford to go to a game.

a couple of years ago I read a report that said that the cost to go to a live KHL game was equal to the average Ruskie’s one week earnings.

At that time they were dropping teams that did not make the cut financially to support themselves.

Most clubs that are surviving now have adopted the NHL or IIHF size rinks.

The KHL and it’s governing body are buying into quality over quantity now.. and being far more public with their decision making.

 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that if former NHL/AHL/ECHL slugs like Curtis Valk, Nik Goldobin, Brandon Leipsic, Kenny Agostino, Jori Lehtera, Stephane DaCosta, Ryan Spooner, Niklas Jensen are among the top 30 scorers in the KHL, the margin between the NHL and KHL is in no terms narrowing. 

 

My only surprise is not seeing Virtanen up there...but then again, not.

 

Where a better relationship between the two league is of benefit is hoping kids like Podkolzin doesn't get the run-around from their respective KHL clubs.

Lol, I hope that's not meant to be a serious argument?

Edited by HighOnHockey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol, I hope that's not meant to be a serious argument?

Their are high end young Russian players in the KHL, who will come to the NHL when they are out of their contracts.  The older guys, excepting a very few, are not NHL level players though.  The league likely will contract.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Their are high end young Russian players in the KHL, who will come to the NHL when they are out of their contracts.  The older guys, excepting a very few, are not NHL level players though.  The league likely will contract.  

You're always good for a chuckle Alf. Not even sarcasm or patronizing. I've come to understand and appreciate your trolly sense of humor and you probably make me laugh more than anyone on the forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad to see these talks happening.  For those of us who love the sport, there's a common good to be found across the geopolitical divide that separates us.  I think back to the 1972 series and how much our exposure to Russian hockey changed the game over here for the better in the years that followed.  Or to what Bure did for our club.  There needs to be more cooperation, more respect and more appreciation, not less.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Glad to see these talks happening.  For those of us who love the sport, there's a common good to be found across the geopolitical divide that separates us.  I think back to the 1972 series and how much our exposure to Russian hockey changed the game over here for the better in the years that followed.  Or to what Bure did for our club.  There needs to be more cooperation, more respect and more appreciation, not less.   

I’m more for extreme caution. I don’t have a problem with Russian players coming over to play NHL but greater co-operation with the KHL is somewhat hypocritical. Putin controls the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and the KHL. These are the people who cut a hole in the wall of the testing facility at Sochi and tampered with urine sample. These are not good people and should not be legitimized. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I’m more for extreme caution. I don’t have a problem with Russian players coming over to play NHL but greater co-operation with the KHL is somewhat hypocritical. Putin controls the Russian Ice Hockey Federation and the KHL. These are the people who cut a hole in the wall of the testing facility at Sochi and tampered with urine sample. These are not good people and should not be legitimized. 

That's exactly the kind of crap we get fed daily by our media.  After 1991, Russia was looted by western-backed oligarchs and the IMF.  I'm glad they're getting back on thir feet and are an independent country again, unlike us.  Whatever Putin's faults may be, he got that job done and deserves some respect for it.  Our media's unhinged push for war with Russia and China is not a reliable guide to anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SilentSam changed the title to (Reports) KHL news & NHL Relationship.
On 12/11/2021 at 9:10 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I highly doubt the KHL is the problem.

The issue is Tram. If he doesn't want to play in North America. So be it.

Could we use him? Absolutely. 

 

Whatever decision he makes, that's his call of what's best for him and his family. 

Besides in the KHL players the money they make is tax free. So even if he makes $2 million US

That's like $4 million in an NHL salary. Coupled with his wife has a career. And I'm pretty sure housing prices aren't nuts like here. 

I can understand why the NHL isn't maybe what he wants. 

Benning wasn't willing to pay above NHL market money to keep him. Say his NHL worth is 1.75 million. Benning wouldn't give him 2.1 million. But this isn't a Tram thread.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, Alflives said:

Is the KHL even going to exist in five years?  The league loses money hand over fist, doesn’t it?  The only way it can survive might be to become part of a greater NHL?  It’s kind of like the CFL in that way.  

The KHL will be around. Many teams lose money but its the exact same in the NHL. Russia has the 5th most billionaires in the world. These teams don't have to make money for them. They are pride projects for billionaires. 100% tax writeoffs too. 

 

Check out some of the arenas

 

amur.jpg

 

dinamominsk.jpg

 

magnitka.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...