The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Direction of the team

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

31 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Are you freaking kidding me?

Under Benning, we've had two unproven coaches. That's on Benning for employing them for as long as he did. Green, in particular, isn't looking very good, now that Boudreau has flipped the team on its head (short term).

Why don't you just wait and see how Boeser will perform with a REAL coach? Sorry, Green is too inconsistent to be considered a real one. I don't care how the media fawns over him. His stats aren't great as a coach, plus we can see his performances as a coach. He obviously couldn't adapt to the rosters he was given - how many more chances should a coach get?

Maybe you’re right. But he did play well last year under Green and I still feel the same. I don’t think you can blame everything on the coach but like you said  I should wait until at least the trade deadline to see how he does

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Wonder if Podz could become a Miller-type? Hybrid W & C

Valery Bragin said more than once that Podkolzin could also play as a center. "I never played in the middle," Vasily says. "However, I am not against it. We'll see." 

https://en.khl.ru/news/2020/02/07/465812.html

Bragin knows a thing or too about hockey, and obviously knows Podkolzin well, as he coached Vasily in Russia.

Pod hasn’t played centre, but he does have nearly the complete toolbox to be a good centre. He’s be an easier winger conversion than most, given how responsible he is defensively, his vision and awareness, passing skills, and how much he already comes back and supports his defencemen. Would need to make some positional adjustments, and practice his faceoffs, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that he could adjust to the position fairly quickly, if he was ever called upon to play centre.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes but it won’t change the fact we don’t have a lot of depth/picks to trade from. It is what it is. It will be interesting to see what they do at this point and on the trade deadline. I am excited to see what they do because I really haven’t got a clue what direction they are going to go.

Again you need to wait til trade deadline, you cant just do knee jerk trades right away. They need to see where the team stands once deadline rolls around.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We need to do away with contracts like 3+ mill for TP..flush these lame-o's outa' the system, & stop doing it!

If a decent asset popped up on waivers, Doubtful we even have cap to pounce...

Thats Benning picking mediocre players like pearson and giving them 3 mil plus while letting better players like Toffoli go, even though he would have costed less than a million dollar more than pearson.

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

I think Rutherford is going to be looking for future assets. I am not suggesting that they will blow it up but they will need to find a way to clear cap space. They need to build a stronger D core. 

I love Petey but I am not sold on him taking us to a cup. This is being promoted as " building a cup contender".

They had the opportunity to trade him to Sabres for Eichel. Petey would have been worth more than what Vegas gave up in Tuch. That would have been the change I would not mind especially knowing Eichel would eventually recover. It would have been low risk, high reward type of move.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Rutherford has no emotional investment with this roster, and he will move someone he doesn't feel is going to help them win a championship. I really think the only untouchables right now are: Demko, Hughes and Podkolzin.

I can see a hockey trade, possibly a Pettersson for a Dman.  Petey still has a lot of value.

Pettersson for Byram?? Problem would be that we need a 1C after that trade unless you think they could find that in the off season.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Pettersson for Byram?? Problem would be that we need a 1C after that trade unless you think they could find that in the off season.

Avs don't have the cap and Byram on ELC for 2 years while they are competing probably better suits them as they're contending.

Also if you gonna trade Petey you probably get a similar/struggling star not an up and coming one having a breakout season. Similar to PLD for Laine.

10 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

They had the opportunity to trade him to Sabres for Eichel. Petey would have been worth more than what Vegas gave up in Tuch. That would have been the change I would not mind especially knowing Eichel would eventually recover. It would have been low risk, high reward type of move.

I said futures.

Very young or picks 

Edited by appleboy

2 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

They're calling for change and we have been butter soft forever

Smyl talks about this team needing an identity and getting back to playing " Canucks hockey"

Not sure how we could get any softer. I'm thinking the new regime turns things around in more ways than one.

Will it be successful in the long run? Who knows but it will be different I think.

Also what do you mean by the public demanding it? Everyone I talk to hates how soft we are and wants to see a tough team for the first time in what feels like forever.

well that's not the most of the general public, they want the flashy goal scorers but one dimensional players usually suck at team D and get beat on in the playoffs which we've seen especially with no pushback, and so we need the balance JB was looking for but depends what's available, and teams usually don't let big fast skilled players go without a hefty price tag.  

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Valery Bragin said more than once that Podkolzin could also play as a center. "I never played in the middle," Vasily says. "However, I am not against it. We'll see." 

https://en.khl.ru/news/2020/02/07/465812.html

Bragin knows a thing or too about hockey, and obviously knows Podkolzin well, as he coached Vasily in Russia.

Pod hasn’t played centre, but he does have nearly the complete toolbox to be a good centre. He’s be an easier winger conversion than most, given how responsible he is defensively, his vision and awareness, passing skills, and how much he already comes back and supports his defencemen. Would need to make some positional adjustments, and practice his faceoffs, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that he could adjust to the position fairly quickly, if he was ever called upon to play centre.

I've seen Russian reporters comment their forwards could play goalie.  I don't put too much stock into foreign sources because they always believe their countrymen are the best players who can play every role on every team.

Opinion on direction of the team really depends on where you think the team is at. 

I still see this as a promising core, with the most important pieces on the right side of 25. Defence needs some serious tinkering and I’d be fine with management doing what they can to balance the roster.

I think we could use a draft with a full battery of picks for the prospect pool but I also see the need to address the roster.  IMO we’d be best served to shuffle a forward or two out to address the blue line.

Taking things slow isn’t really an option - this core needs to be kick started and window needs to be opened ASAP.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

The way I see it I agree we are at an impasse. If you look where we were last time we were in this position when JB took over cupboards bare with a team that wasn't good enough to win but wasn't bad enough to tank. We are in a far more favorable position now. Then the best we could do for our tradable assets was the returns for Kes and Bieksa. Now I think we can do better for Brock and Miller possibly Pete too.

Build around 

Bo, Hughes, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Garland.  

If we added say 2 mid 1st's and a 2nd to our picks this year. adding.

Our 1st pick. Kemell Pestilent franchise RW with elite offense. 

mid 1st one of Kasper or Gaucher 200ft 2/3C hard minutes guys.

mid 1st one of RHD Ryan Chesely or Tristan Luneau 

Our 2nd Kirill Dolzhenkov Russian 6'7 monster

additional 2nd Lian Bichsel Big LHD skates incredibly well and plays a physical brand. 

Scrape the bottom 1 more time next year drafting well in 2023. by the time 2024 rolls around we should be ready to contend and have full cupbards. We should at this time have the cap space to make the right moves to put the team over the top. 

I think people are giving up on Petey way too early.  I'm not convinced he doesn't have an injury.  Either way, he is a playmaker, shooter and can back-check responsibly.  I think we keep him.  Brock is much more one-dimensional.  Miller is the motor that we need.  My hope is that trading Brock plus prospects / picks could land us a top 4 RHD and the bottom 6 can be fixed without giving up much else over the next year or two.

Waiting for draft picks to get up to speed and mature shouldn't be too much on the radar right now as the window has arrived.  Very few players can come out of a draft and play at a reputable level within a couple of years.

15 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Opinion on direction of the team really depends on where you think the team is at. 

I still see this as a promising core, with the most important pieces on the right side of 25. Defence needs some serious tinkering and I’d be fine with management doing what they can to balance the roster.

I think we could use a draft with a full battery of picks for the prospect pool but I also see the need to address the roster.  IMO we’d be best served to shuffle a forward or two out to address the blue line.

Taking things slow isn’t really an option - this core needs to be kick started and window needs to be opened ASAP.

You talk like a GM.  This is what Rutherford is going to look at

I don't know how long Rutherford will take to evaluate, he is certainly not wasting any time punting the old management team presumably to make room for his own team.  I imagine some time after Christmas, we may see some line up changes.

There are plenty of good pieces but there are clearly some holes in the line up and also wasted cap space.  When you draft BPA like Benning has (most of the time), there is a danger that you'll have to make some trades of good assets in order to balance the line up.  This has to be job 1 doesn't it?

Steamer was talking about being harder to play against.  Do we see some tweaks along these lines?  As well as shedding some wasted cap?  

But what they're really talking about lately is culture culture culture.  

Exciting times.

• Cheers 1

We're in a period of assessment that will go into the new year and then we'll see what management decides about our lineup.  So many players are looking so much better under BB that we may have to rethink previous conclusions.  We may be only a good move or two away from being a competitive playoff team capable of winning a round or two.  Or a couple of bad moves from returning to the basement.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Boesser traded for a top 4 D to balance out cap allocation across the lineup, but we'll see.  Miller would obviously fetch more in a trade, but he's too big a part of the team just to peddle, unless they know he won't re-sign.  And with the cap situation starting to look up, it may not be so hard to re-sign everyone when the time comes. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:55 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's hard to know exactly what direction they'll take with the team, especially considering we don't even know who the GM is yet.

To be honest, I don't know what direction they should take with the team either. A month ago I was all for blowing the whole thing up and starting another rebuild, but seeing the huge difference that the coaching change has made has given me cause to reconsider going scorched earth. 

What I do think is that, regardless of when the new GM is hired, no major changes will happen this season. I believe the rest of this season will be mainly used to asses what we have. I also don't think we'll be trading our first rd pick either. We've been without one two years in a row. 

However, I do think a pretty significant trade is on the horizon in the offseason. Obviously for cap reasons, but also because I believe that whoever is calling the shots is going to come to the conclusion that the defence needs some major work. 

So overall, I don't think any major trades are coming until the offseason, and when it does happen, it will be a hockey trade. One of our forwards for a defenseman, with some spare change going one or both ways.

I would add 1 more option, use the trade deadline to free up some cap space, ie trade BB for draft picks

19 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

The problem is 1&2 line.players have had poor season to this point, diminished trade value.