The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hire a new Amateur Scout

I’m not sure if many are aware but one of Vancouvers Amateur Scouts named

Patrik Jonsson passed away of cancer a few months back at only 51 years old. He was a European based scout for us and had watched Hoglander since Nils was 15 and was a big reason we drafted him. Not only was it a loss of a family man and a good man. But for the organization it was a big loss and we know how important scouting is for every aspect of the teams play and outcome. Perhaps we should really look into finding another Swedish/European Amateur Scout. Any ideas??? Markus Naslund? 
Mats Sundin? Daniel Alfredsson?

2 hours ago, ken kaniff said:

Also isn’t Benning’s son an amateur scout for us without having any history of playing or scouting background? I don’t know if he’s good or not but it certainly sounds like a hire just because his Dad was the GM not because he actually deserves it.

If that were true I feel like he woulda signed Matt Benning when he was a free agent. But I dunno, I feel like ownership would have axed the idea of signing his son if it were just to give family a job.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

If that were true I feel like he woulda signed Matt Benning when he was a free agent. But I dunno, I feel like ownership would have axed the idea of signing his son if it were just to give family a job.

I heard Matt Benning turned down signing with the Canucks a few seasons ago

On 12/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, ken kaniff said:

Also isn’t Benning’s son an amateur scout for us without having any history of playing or scouting background? I don’t know if he’s good or not but it certainly sounds like a hire just because his Dad was the GM not because he actually deserves it.

Lamoriellos' son is also with him in NY.  Seems to be nothing new, when a father is in a position to help out his children.  Ultimately, it will be there peers, that will determine if they deserve, to stay or not in the industry.  

On 12/11/2021 at 5:38 PM, Underdog7 said:

I’m not sure if many are aware but one of Vancouvers Amateur Scouts named

Patrik Jonsson passed away of cancer a few months back at only 51 years old. He was a European based scout for us and had watched Hoglander since Nils was 15 and was a big reason we drafted him. Not only was it a loss of a family man and a good man. But for the organization it was a big loss and we know how important scouting is for every aspect of the teams play and outcome. Perhaps we should really look into finding another Swedish/European Amateur Scout. Any ideas??? Markus Naslund? 
Mats Sundin? Daniel Alfredsson?

At the very least, keep Benning’s white board on all prospects and teams. He obviously knew what he was doing. Look at the team under a new coach…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

That’s not how it works.

It’s like a game of chess on a real board compared to a digital screen.

Trust me, no it’s not. It’s inefficient, not at all a good use of a GM’s time or resources, and quite frankly helps explain how he ran out of time so often on actually getting things done. 

I run meetings all the time. If I showed up with that I would be laughed out if the room. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Trust me, no it’s not. It’s inefficient, not at all a good use of a GM’s time or resources, and quite frankly helps explain how he ran out of time so often on actually getting things done. 

I run meetings all the time. If I showed up with that I would be laughed out if the room. 

You don’t show up with a white board good lord. Hell is that…

Pretty much all of your favorite TV shows start on white boards. 

On 12/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, Underdog7 said:

I heard Matt Benning turned down signing with the Canucks a few seasons ago

On 12/11/2021 at 5:19 PM, N7Nucks said:

I believe I remember reading that Jim and/or Matt didn’t want to deal with the perception of nepotism so they never got anywhere close to signing a contract. 

• Thanks 1