The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blake Price: don't be surprised if there's a trade between the Canucks-Pens by the end of the season, certainly by off-season

11 hours ago, rekker said:

This is where Rutherford scares me. We don't need aging vets. We need quality mid aged players that can grow with this team and blossom soon. I'm not sure we have what the Pens want anyways. What are the Pens? Going for it, rebuild, retool? Do they even know?

Miller is a guy you would think Burkie would love. I'm pretty sure he passed on him in the draft, but I recall an interview where he said he likes his game now and has matured, and he plays the way Burke likes too.

I think as long as Crosby wants to play, the idea is to field a competitive team. Miller certainly brings that. 

I think it would have to be a deal that returns picks and prospects tho, as they need everyone they have on the roster. So maybe Pit's 1st and Hallander? gives us a decent 3C prospect and another 1st. 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think it would have to be a deal that returns picks and prospects tho,

Ok by me, those picks and prospects could then be traded to a different team for more immediate help.

It would be good to have the other trade lined up, before doing the deal with Pittsburgh, though.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Ok by me, those picks and prospects could then be traded to a different team for more immediate help.

It would be good to have the other trade lined up, before doing the deal with Pittsburgh, though.

it would, I'm not sure Pits can give up as much as others. E.g., the 1st and Hallander suggestion, does seem a bit underwhelming for Miller. I'm really hoping for a RFA RHD. 

• Upvote 1

The John Merino trade was amazing, Merino from EDM for a 6th lol and now dude is essentially their no 3 dman, RHD 2nd pair, young, he won the Sutter trade for sure and got a 2nd rounder while moving a bunch of cap and got a 2C/3C counterman that was instrumental in winning a cup - their "third line" of Hagein, Bonino, Kessel was absolutely key in that win...

what I like about him is that he is quick to admit if something is not working and he moves on...He traded a bunch of picks so that he could build around Sid, Gino and letang...and it worked. On the flip side... would we complain if we won 2 cups in a few years but had to move out like 6 1sts to do so??? I would not complain.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it would, I'm not sure Pits can give up as much as others. E.g., the 1st and Hallander suggestion, does seem a bit underwhelming for Miller. I'm really hoping for a RFA RHD

More of those next year. This year is pretty much Dobson (hard target) or Bear (not ideal size or top end ability).

Next year's RFA's though.. You've got Philippe Myers and Cal Foote and as young UFA's you've got Severson, Cernak and a couple older guys like Jensen or Mayfield that would be good short term solutions.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

Price and Sekeres are trash.

Canucks could potentially trade with anyone not just Pittsburgh.  Rutherford’s previous ties with Pittsburgh might have some factor but there’s no guarantee at all that we trade with them.  Price is just talking out of his ass against for attention.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There's nobody from the Pens that I would want unless they have a surplus of d-men. 

top 4RHD John Merino would be perfect but the Pens do not have depth to replace him and really I am not sure would be interested in moving him

I could see something like Hoglander+ Hamonic fo Merino, but do we really want to give up pieces like Hoglaner or podz? I rather move Petey for a top RHD prospect plus a 2c/3c or Boeser for dumba and greenway. I do not know when the pens needs are.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

More of those next year. This year is pretty much Dobson (hard target) or Bear (not ideal size or top end ability).

Bear would be a nice add... just not sure Carolina needs anything we have. Dobson yes please. But NY is in even worse shape than us so I'm starting to think that ship has sailed.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Next year's RFA's though.. You've got Philippe Myers and Cal Foote and as young UFA's you've got Severson, Cernak and a couple older guys like Jensen or Mayfield that would be good short term solutions.

If new Jim can figure out how to package one of Poolman or Hamonic with Miller that would be ideal to make room for one of these guys.

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Bear would be a nice add... just not sure Carolina needs anything we have. Dobson yes please. But NY is in even worse shape than us so I'm starting to think that ship has sailed.

Bear is a good player but he really lacks the ceiling I think we want there. And yeah, Carolina don't need anything at all really :lol:

Dobson would be GREAT, but it's a hard target to pry, I agree. Only thing that might work for us is that he is due a raise this summer and after their poor year, they might look to shake things up. Barzal could use some help in that F group, maybe that's Miller? He's not free if they want him... Besides with Mayfield also due for a new deal the year after, maybe they focus on him while improving their forwards. Pulock, Mayfield, Poolman would still be pretty decent RHD D depth. And Rathbone at left D would give them an offense oriented D there that they're also lacking... Who knows?

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If new Jim can figure out how to package one of Poolman or Hamonic with Miller that would be ideal to make room for one of these guys.

Again, not that NJD NEED to make this trade... but say Severson tells them he plans to explore free agency next year, maybe something in the summer around Miller + Poolman for Severson + Bahl?

Gets us our top 4 RHD and our big 3LD. Then JR just needs to solve the 3C issue... Perhaps with Rathbone?

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

Miller is a guy you would think Burkie would love. I'm pretty sure he passed on him in the draft, but I recall an interview where he said he likes his game now and has matured, and he plays the way Burke likes too.

I think as long as Crosby wants to play, the idea is to field a competitive team. Miller certainly brings that. 

I think it would have to be a deal that returns picks and prospects tho, as they need everyone they have on the roster. So maybe Pit's 1st and Hallander? gives us a decent 3C prospect and another 1st. 

JT for futures, and and a legit prospect is fine by me. Has to be a legit prospect though, or deals off. JT's value is sky high, and if JR doesn't get a healthy return, just keep JT.

Edited by rekker
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Bear is a good player but he really lacks the ceiling I think we want there. And yeah, Carolina don't need anything at all really :lol:

Dobson would be GREAT, but it's a hard target to pry, I agree. Only thing that might work for us is that he is due a raise this summer and after their poor year, they might look to shake things up. Barzal could use some help in that F group, maybe that's Miller? He's not freeb if they want him... Besides with Mayfield also due for a new deal the year after, maybe they focus on him while improving their forwards. Pulock, Mayfield, Poolman would still be pretty decent RHD D depth. And Rathbone at left D would give them an offense oriented D there that they're also lacking... Who knows?

Again, not that NJD NEED to make this trade... but say Severson tells them he plans to explore free agency next year, maybe something in the summer around Miller + Poolman for Severson + Bahl?

Gets is our top 4 RHD and our big 3LD. Then JR just needs to solve the 3C issue... Perhaps with Rathbone?

if NYI won't cough up Dobson, how would you view a 1st + Raty for Miller?

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You mean Ty Rattie?

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

no Aatu Raty from NYI. Might solve our C depth issue in a year or two. Somehting like Miller for Clutterbuck (to clear cap) a 1st and Raty?

Yeah, that's not bad, especially if it's their 1st this year. Would prefer if we could try to solve that top pair RHD though.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, that's not bad, especially if it's their 1st this year.

oh crap, i just checked the standings... NYI is 11 pts out of a wildcard. They'd really have to think Miller could give them the boost of a lifetime :lol:

well, I guess we'll see just how good new Jim is at fixing the roster issues.

Just now, JM_ said:

oh crap, i just checked the standings... NYI is 11 pts out of a wildcard. They'd really have to think Miller could give them the boost of a lifetime :lol:

well, I guess we'll see just how good new Jim is at fixing the roster issues.

Yeah, it's a bit of a weird year for them. No idea why they've fallen off so hard. That record might be good or bad for trying to trade with them :lol: