The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Blake Price: don't be surprised if there's a trade between the Canucks-Pens by the end of the season, certainly by off-season

On 12/12/2021 at 12:59 PM, Alflives said:

Would JR trade Miller (or any core piece) for futures now though?  Maybe at the TDL or the draft?  

Just watched THG's Christmas Canucks video.  He's suggesting Boeser.  I totally bristle at the thought but there is some merit to the idea because his qualifying offer is going to be $7.5M.  It's the last of the really badly structured Benning contracts.  This is your legacy Jim Benning :picard:

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Just watched THG's Christmas Canucks video.  He's suggesting Boeser.  I totally bristle at the thought but there is some merit to the idea because his qualifying offer is going to be $7.5M.  It's the last of the really badly structured Benning contracts.  This is your legacy Jim Benning :picard:

What are you talking about? Would you rather have signed Boeser 7milx8 back in 2019? Because that was the going price back then. Keller signed to a 7.1milx8years contract. Boeser's 3 year bridge contract is a great thing, it gives the Canucks some options. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

There's no guarantee it'll go that far. Pretty sure we can negotiate for an extension after this season. Boeser seems like a character guy. Maybe we can lock him up in the 6-6.5mil range this summer. Not saying it's super likely, just that it's a possbility. Pretty sure we seen some guys re-sign for below the QO. I can't recall them specifically so I could very well be wrong. Lol.

I did advocate signing him to a long term 7.5mil deal prior to his current deal, but I think that also pre-dated Covid. With the cap what it is it'd be awesome to have him back in the 6.5mil range. In the right situation the guy is a surefire 30+ goal scorer in my books. He's scored like 5 goals in the 6 games Boudreau has been here. Not saying that's his pace, but that shows how good he can be with the right system in place.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

There's no guarantee it'll go that far. Pretty sure we can negotiate for an extension after this season. Boeser seems like a character guy. Maybe we can lock him up in the 6-6.5mil range this summer. Not saying it's super likely, just that it's a possbility. Pretty sure we seen some guys re-sign for below the QO. I can't recall them specifically so I could very well be wrong. Lol.

I did advocate signing him to a long term 7.5mil deal prior to his current deal, but I think that also pre-dated Covid. With the cap what it is it'd be awesome to have him back in the 6.5mil range. In the right situation the guy is a surefire 30+ goal scorer in my books. He's scored like 5 goals in the 6 games Boudreau has been here. Not saying that's his pace, but that shows how good he can be with the right system in place.

I think there are a couple of factors here.  

1.  Who is the real Brock Boeser?  I certainly want him to be the Boudreau Boeser and the rookie Boeser and even last years 23 goals in 56 games Boeser.  That's the only way I can justify $7.5M but even so, it's a lot.

2.  But also, do we see the Canucks morphing into a team that good players want to play for?  Is he willing to take a little less to play here?

These 2 things go hand in glove because if he waits for his QO and it doesn't come from the Canucks, he becomes a free agent.  If his performance is still at a 20 something goal rate, he may be offered less on the open market.

But like I said, I really want him to stay because all things equal, he should be considered to be a core player

10 hours ago, Drakrami said:

What are you talking about? Would you rather have signed Boeser 7milx8 back in 2019? Because that was the going price back then. Keller signed to a 7.1milx8years contract. Boeser's 3 year bridge contract is a great thing, it gives the Canucks some options. 

The screw up is giving a young player a contract that escalates to such a high level in the final year with such a high QO.  I have no problem with the AAV but the way the contract is structured, he has to live up to very high expectations otherwise you have to let him go.

If Boeser turns out to be a 25 goal man, that's really good but you don't pay a 25 goal man $7.5.

Keller is over paid imo.  The Yotes are keeping their fingers crossed with him because he is being paid based on an expected progression from 2017-18 when he scored 23 and he hasn't come close to that since.  Boeser is a better producer but Keller is a lousy comparable.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

1.  Who is the real Brock Boeser?  I certainly want him to be the Boudreau Boeser and the rookie Boeser and even last years 23 goals in 56 games Boeser.  That's the only way I can justify $7.5M but even so, it's a lot.

2.  But also, do we see the Canucks morphing into a team that good players want to play for?  Is he willing to take a little less to play here?

These 2 things go hand in glove because if he waits for his QO and it doesn't come from the Canucks, he becomes a free agent.  If his performance is still at a 20 something goal rate, he may be offered less on the open market.

But like I said, I really want him to stay because all things equal, he should be considered to be a core player

I think Boeser is a legit scorer. If he had speed he'd be elite. But he can pot em with the best of em. I do think he'd be willing to take less to stay here. Which is why I still have hope they'll re-sign him before his contract is up.

With that said, there's nothing we can do but wait and see. I am not a fan of trading him cause we don't want to qualify him. I'd rather just qualify him and hope we can get through that one season. Cause if I recall correctly, if he accepts the QO it's a one year deal right? Take the hit for that one season instead of panic trading him for less value than he brings to the team.

14 hours ago, Drakrami said:

What options would those be? 

Trading him, because the Canucks can’t afford his 7.5M QO, or maybe they don’t want to QO him at that price point?

But I can’t really see Brock’s camp agreeing to less than his QO

50 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think Boeser is a legit scorer. If he had speed he'd be elite. But he can pot em with the best of em. I do think he'd be willing to take less to stay here. Which is why I still have hope they'll re-sign him before his contract is up.

With that said, there's nothing we can do but wait and see. I am not a fan of trading him cause we don't want to qualify him. I'd rather just qualify him and hope we can get through that one season. Cause if I recall correctly, if he accepts the QO it's a one year deal right? Take the hit for that one season instead of panic trading him for less value than he brings to the team.

But then what do you after that one season? Trade him? Work out a longer term deal? 

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

But then what do you after that one season? Trade him? Work out a longer term deal? 

A long term deal, yes. But it all boils down to negotiations and inner workings. Which I am not privy to. I am just saying, trading him purely cause of his QO is not wise. The odds of getting someone comparable is low, and we don't even know if that player will gel as well as Boeser does. He is a character guy, and I have no doubts he is well liked by his teammates.

17 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

For me there has to be an internal deadline to resigning him. No new contract means JR has to trade him. Brock has to be aware that is the situation. Benning's poor conversion of assets cannot be repeated by JR. My reservations with Brock is his scoring dry spells and his injury history. He is certainly a sniper and Boudreau has really jumped started his production. 

17 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

They must have their share of listeners/followers, surprisingly.

I really don’t get it. I feel like you come away less informed after listening to them. But to each their own.

its about the anger, not the info 

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The screw up is giving a young player a contract that escalates to such a high level in the final year with such a high QO.  I have no problem with the AAV but the way the contract is structured, he has to live up to very high expectations otherwise you have to let him go.

If Boeser turns out to be a 25 goal man, that's really good but you don't pay a 25 goal man $7.5.

Keller is over paid imo.  The Yotes are keeping their fingers crossed with him because he is being paid based on an expected progression from 2017-18 when he scored 23 and he hasn't come close to that since.  Boeser is a better producer but Keller is a lousy comparable.

7.5M for 25 goals isn’t great value, I agree. And if you’re paying 7.5M for 25 goals, what are you paying for a 30-35 goal scorer? 10M? 

7.5M for 30 goals? I think I’d do that. But Brock hasn’t in reality scored 30 goals in his career yet. He’s come close one season with 29, and that’s about it. 

• Like 1