The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrik Allvin (Pens AGM) for next GM?

Rate this topic

ForzaTikare

17 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Thank you for sharing this news with us. Nice to have insiders who are more of an insider than the media in this city. Lol...

Yeah, the forums seems to be more reliable and balance when it comes to Canuck news, than the media schills.

Might be fit a ?    

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Provost said:

We already have a strong Swedish contingent in the organization that could help scout and attract talent.

If we went with a European I would rather a Russian or Fin.

Good take cause some diversity in taught, might not be a bad idea when it comes to leadership positions.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good take cause some diversity in taught, might not be bad idea when it comes to leadership positions.

And it would be easier to identify and recruit talent if you are more familiar with where it comes from.

It is no fluke why many of our best players have been Swedish.  We have really strong scouting and history there so identify the right players.

Look back when Jarmo Kekalainen passed on drafting Poolparty when he was the consensus pick in that spot.  He clearly had a better handle on the player than the rest of the league and it was likely because he either saw him more or could pick up the phone and talk to coaches and others to get a read on him.

Kekalainen would be another good choice in addition to Larionov.  He is a younger generation than the President and Coach so could add a different perspective.

I still go with Larionov as Russians are undervalued right now due to their ability to run to they KHL.  He could likely extract some value from KHL veterans who might want to come over as well as knowing what kids are for real and want to try the NHL.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

And it would be easier to identify and recruit talent if you are more familiar with where it comes from.

It is no fluke why many of our best players have been Swedish.  We have really strong scouting and history there so identify the right players.

Look back when Jarmo Kekalainen passed on drafting Poolparty when he was the consensus pick in that spot.  He clearly had a better handle on the player than the rest of the league and it was likely because he either saw him more or could pick up the phone and talk to coaches and others to get a read on him.

Kekalainen would be another good choice in addition to Larionov.  He is a younger generation than the President and Coach so could add a different perspective.

I still go with Larionov as Russians are undervalued right now due to their ability to run to they KHL.  He could likely extract some value from KHL veterans who might want to come over as well as knowing what kids are for real and want to try the NHL.

Your point about Kekelainen is well taken. That being said, Detroit also passed up on Hughes - and the team is paying dearly for that mistake, in hindsight. Sometimes we can't take things like this for granted.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Good points; and Larionov might not be a bad choice, to balance out Rutherfords' impatient nature.   Don't see JR, taking a chance at someone he doesn't know; but I would like to see a front office staff that has some diversity [in taught and experience].  

Who gets hired at the GM position, will say alot about the timeline.  Cannot wait to see JRs' presser.

16 hours ago, coryberg said:

Last season...

McCann 32 points

Kapanen 30 points

This season

McCann 16 points

Kapanen 15 points

Career PPG

McCann .46ppg

Kapanen .50ppg

Confused Thinking GIF

I see that we are having fun with numbers and you didn't mentioned Pastranak at all.  Here are more numbers...

This season PPG

Kapanen  0.56 (Pitt 7th Eastern Conferance)

McCann  0.73 (Seat 15th Western Conferance)

Pastranak  0.88 (Bos 8th Eastern Conferance)

Career CF% rel

Kapanen  0.5

McCann  2.0

Pastranak  13.0

2 hours ago, WestCoastDave said:

I see that we are having fun with numbers and you didn't mentioned Pastranak at all.  Here are more numbers...

This season PPG

Kapanen  0.56 (Pitt 7th Eastern Conferance)

McCann  0.73 (Seat 15th Western Conferance)

Pastranak  0.88 (Bos 8th Eastern Conferance)

Career CF% rel

Kapanen  0.5

McCann  2.0

Pastranak  13.0

Here is a number...24

That's the number of times NHL GM's passed on pastrnak. Including super scout Jim Benning twice.

So basically at least 80% of the NHL has poor scouting in your mind.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/12/2021 at 8:35 AM, ForzaTikare said:

There is rumors in Sweden that PAtrik Allvin (AGM of the Pens) is a GM Candidate for the Canucks, especially as Rutherford worked with him earlier and has alot of good things to say about him..

What do we think about this? A new first time GM or go for a veteran?

From Swedish newspaper

The big cleaning continues in the Vancouver Canucks and now everyone is waiting for who the new hockey boss Jim Rutherford will appoint as his general manager.

A new name appeared in the TV magazine Hockey Night in Canada last night, Swedish time.

"Patrik Allvin can be a dark horse, as he worked with Rutherford in the Pittsburgh Penguins," speculated hockey insider Elliotte Friedman.

SportExpressen has been in contact with Allvin, who responds as follows:

- It is very flattering to hear. Unfortunately, I have no other comment.

Gunnar Nordström

Allvin is the assistant general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins under Ron Hextall and hockey president Brian Burke.

The 47-year-old Allvin is considered a future general manager in the NHL and a sign of what confidence he has in Penguin's owners (Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle) is that the Swede had to jump in as acting GMi club when Rutherford suddenly announced in January this year that he chose to quit his job.

Pittsburgh later added Hextall, but Patrik Allvin remains in the Penguins' management team. He started his career in the club as a scout in Sweden in 2006 and has been living with his family in the USA for several years.

Can be the first Swede
Should he get the job as Vancouver's Canucks new general manager, he will be the first Swede in such a high position of power in an NHL club.

In Pittsburgh, he has been responsible for a number of different parts of the business, such as player development and a review of the Wilkes Barrie / Scranton Penguins farm team in the AHL.

That a Swede would become Jim Benning's replacement in Vancouver would be appropriate, as the Canucks have been a club full of Swedish players over the years since the 80's.

The list can be made long: Lars Lindgren, Lars Zetterström, Thomas Gradin, Lars Molin, Robert Nordmark, Roland Player Name, Per-Olov Brasar, Patrik Sundström, Anders Eldebrink, Mattias Öhlund, Markus Näslund, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Alexander Edler, Jacob Markström and the current trio Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Elias Pettersson and Nils Höglander.

When Jim Benning was fired last Sunday, his assistant hockey manager John Weisbrod was also pushed. out.

Since Jim Rutherford joined in the middle of this week as President of Hockey Operations, Chris Gear and Jonathan Wall have been fired from their positions in the club management.

Strong team effort
Pittsburgh defeated the Anaheim Ducks 1-0 tonight after a goal by Brock McGinn.

The match's liar was Penguins goalkeeper Casey DeSmith, who kept a clean sheet after saving 33 shots.

This was Pittsburgh's fourth straight victory and the team now parks in the first wildcard spot in the NHL's Eastern Conference.

Patrik Allvins says this about the team's fine form right now:

- I think we play well as a team. Sid (Sidney Crosby) has had a few matches and got started after a long absence. Our goalkeeping game has also been good.

Yeah dude, thanks for posting this. 

I appreciate our Swedish and Russian insiders :)

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

We don't want a "yes man"

I'm glad some people still understand the difference in meaning of compliment versus complement.

Complimenting someone can be good, but it might just be sucking up to someone.

But complementing is a good thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:53 AM, Patel Bure said:

I want someone that is currently in the NHL, has a strong familiarity with the current NHL landscape, and is working alongside a current highly successful NHL GM here in North America. That's why I want MacFarland.........or maybe even Carolina's AssGM

What are you talking about? Allvin is all of that, to a T.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, coryberg said:

Here is a number...24

That's the number of times NHL GM's passed on pastrnak. Including super scout Jim Benning twice.

So basically at least 80% of the NHL has poor scouting in your mind.

You mean that is what you are thinking.

Here is a number...2

Virtanen and Juolevi.  Two bust by your super scout. 

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

20 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Dumb take. Some people like you know nothing but hating someone at all costs.

You are talking about yourself.  Not true, just stating the facts.  I thought Benning made some good picks like Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser.  I would rate him as a good scout just not a super one.