The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pearson's days could be numbered?

Rate this topic

cdgraham

1 hour ago, aznmonk said:

I have never seen canucks EVER having odd man rushes when green is around! Let alone a 4 man rush...

Rumour has it Green didn't trust the d so he was holding back the offense to protect the d. Doesn't appear to be the appropriate strategy.

Edited by Chris12345

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

He's a middle 6 guy, playing at a middle 6 level, who's paid middle 6 money :bored:

He's far from exciting, but he's a solid, complimentary, two way veteran, who does a lot of little things this roster needs. The amount of whinging about him on here is ridiculous. Guys like Pearson aren't the "problem".

Whiners gonna whine

41 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I'm not sure what people expect from a veteran making $3.25m. The guy does alot of the little things right at both ends and can be used in all situations. He's physical and goes to the net (something we need more of). Here's some tidbits though: he has more pk time per game than Horvat, two points less than Hogs, and 3 points more than Podz. He's tied with Garland for PP points and 1 point behind Bo. 

You nailed his big weakness - he's not flashy.

That's not really a flaw.  I'm an NBA fan and there's a player called Tim Duncan who was known to be the most boring style-wise but he was effective.
Not saying Tanner is an all-time great but without flash players can still get the job done.

4 hours ago, cdgraham said:

Sorry if this should be somewhere else but mods can move it to correct place if needed. 

Anyways, with the emergence of the chemistry between hoglander and horvat, with Pearson pretty obviously officially being the passenger on that line if he is on it, as well as Rutherford taking over (who has already traded Pearson for a bag of pucks once before and will probably be looking for a shakeup) + the fact it actually probably makes sense if we can get a faster replacement with equal skills or a defenseman (especially with the recent injuries) 

Anyone see this happening? Events could be lining up for him to be saying bye prior to the trade deadline or at the trade deadline. 

Also, if he is to be traded, what do we think his value is? 

Yeah; and probably, a more appropriate role, is to be a shutdown role, in a line with whomever 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Fans are pretty blind, they usually only see offensive production, goals and assists and +/- as value. GMs and coaches see much more than that and yes, while Pearson sucks a lot of offence from his linemates because his passes aren't quite as crisp and he's lost a bit of speed, he's one of our few solid defensive forwards. He made a brilliant play on the first Canuck goal to win the puck against Staal right after Miller lost it - that was a solid battle, Pearson was outnumbered 2-to-1 along the boards, wins the puck and pushes it down to Miller who all of a sudden has a little 2-on-1 himself with Boeser which leads to the goal. 

He's a warrior, hard worker, don't forget he's a bit of a playoff performer but most importantly he defends and checks better than most on this team, not to mention he's massive on our PK. People talk about "intangeables" and he and Sutter bring that.

It's strange how so many fans love Motte but hate Pearson when they're quite similar players. I think a lot of Motte's love came from his scoring outburst years ago and his speed whereas Pearson lacks these things but brings everything else you need to be successful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He isn't a priority to deal with right now.

This is what I was going to say.

There are other areas that need to be improved but until the Rutherford has time to assess things, we don't need to make any deals especially since we are on a winning streak since Boudreau took over.

6 hours ago, cdgraham said:

Sorry if this should be somewhere else but mods can move it to correct place if needed. 

Anyways, with the emergence of the chemistry between hoglander and horvat, with Pearson pretty obviously officially being the passenger on that line if he is on it, as well as Rutherford taking over (who has already traded Pearson for a bag of pucks once before and will probably be looking for a shakeup) + the fact it actually probably makes sense if we can get a faster replacement with equal skills or a defenseman (especially with the recent injuries) 

Anyone see this happening? Events could be lining up for him to be saying bye prior to the trade deadline or at the trade deadline. 

If it was a trade for a forward or a D, hopefully he's 6'2-3-4, mean tough fast and skilled..  not soft.. not saying he's particularly soft BUT we need to get bigger so we don't get pushed around by bigger physical teams.

5 hours ago, suitup said:

He's not a bad player and but he's just not scoring enough to be a 2nd line winger. Definitely like him otherwise as a third-line guy that can provide scoring. 

well he is a 2nd line guy, I disagree BUT he plays like he's holding back just a bit.. not playing to his ceiling I mean, you know, like ears pinned back.. only sometimes but not nearly enough... then he could be a 20+ guy easily... just has to "bring it" more and we need that from everyone to be better than we are right now.

Edited by iceman64

10 hours ago, cdgraham said:

We are winning and your already bitching about players . Come on , just be happy. 

Pearson is a middle 6 player who reads the play fairly well. He plays a decent d-side game. Still has a wicked shot. If a LW is playing well then ease Pearson down the lines. Type of player I assume is good with younger players. 

Is he tradeable? Why not? Deals are always about the need and return. JR is obviously looking at all options. I doubt if the current winning streak has fooled anyone into thinking that the problems of this group were limited to Travis Green coaching. 

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Guys that have the same playstyle/skillset as Tanner Pearson are criminally underrated by fans. It's why you see fans craping on Alex Chiasson all the time.  

Standing in front of the net is necessary, and someone has to do it.  It doesn't look pretty and 91 out of 100 times it results into nothing, but you still have to keep on doing it. It's one of the toughest and most thankless jobs in hockey.  

I constantly see people suggesting that we swap out Pearson and Chiasson for different net-front guys and it just doesn't work in real life.  I can't tell you how many times you see guys like Boeser, Hoggy and others either late to get to the front of the net or else just doing a fly-by.  

Good points.   A veteran coach (as we had seen), will know what to do to a given roster but I agree, that the second part of the equation, is for a player to buy in.   Noticing, the players are doing less fly-by's.

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Fans are pretty blind, they usually only see offensive production, goals and assists and +/- as value. GMs and coaches see much more than that and yes, while Pearson sucks a lot of offence from his linemates because his passes aren't quite as crisp and he's lost a bit of speed, he's one of our few solid defensive forwards. He made a brilliant play on the first Canuck goal to win the puck against Staal right after Miller lost it - that was a solid battle, Pearson was outnumbered 2-to-1 along the boards, wins the puck and pushes it down to Miller who all of a sudden has a little 2-on-1 himself with Boeser which leads to the goal. 

He's a warrior, hard worker, don't forget he's a bit of a playoff performer but most importantly he defends and checks better than most on this team, not to mention he's massive on our PK. People talk about "intangeables" and he and Sutter bring that.

It's strange how so many fans love Motte but hate Pearson when they're quite similar players. I think a lot of Motte's love came from his scoring outburst years ago and his speed whereas Pearson lacks these things but brings everything else you need to be successful.

Perhaps, it has something to do with his pay vs Mottes' pay ?  

10 hours ago, suitup said:

He's not a bad player and but he's just not scoring enough to be a 2nd line winger. Definitely like him otherwise as a third-line guy that can provide scoring. 

But he is getting lots of chances. Give him time, as he's just a little snakebitten right now. Pearson is one of those guys who is underappreciated and does more things right than wrong. He's not a liability and the points will come.

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's a middle 6 guy, playing at a middle 6 level, who's paid middle 6 money :bored:

He's far from exciting, but he's a solid, complimentary, two way veteran, who does a lot of little things this roster needs. The amount of whinging about him on here is ridiculous. Guys like Pearson aren't the "problem".

the thread title should really add "as a Canuck".

the one thing I see in the last 4 games is Pearson has been a little slow at times and made a couple of questionable passes, but I could be nitpicking on those.

He's OK. I would be a bit surprised if Rutherford could move him tbh with the extra two years on his deal but he's not a problem issue to keep either.

Its really Boeser's next deal thats going to drive the need, or not, to move someone like this.