The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pearson's days could be numbered?

Rate this topic

cdgraham

Pearson is too streaky to be a top 6 guy at this point. He is a decent 3rd line guy though. The one issue I see with him in terms of a Boudreau style team is his foot speed. He is pretty slow and it could even be seen in the last few games where he was struggling to keep up the pace for the whole game.

Having said that, there is no need to trade him for the sake of it and likely would not get back equal value in return anyway. He plays better with Miller and Boeser than he has with Horvat and Hoglander. Just has to maybe learn how to make a good pass and shoot somewhere other than the crest.

Unlike Brandon Sutter, Tanner Pearson was a player Rutherford actually traded FOR. He got Pearson from LA for cheap, as he was having a brutal year.

Although Tanner picked it up a bit after the trade, he still wsn't quite the right fit. Prior to the trade deadline, Pens also traded for Bjugstad and McCann. And they had injuries to Letang (shocker!) and Dumoulin. So it made sense for them to move Pearson for help on D.

So I don't think Rutherford will move Pearson because he doesn't like the player. He's fit in quite well, and shown he at least wants to be here. And with his contract, he doesn't have much trade value anyways. Unless Canucks desperately need to free up some cap, I expect Pearson to stay a while.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Baggins said:

I'm not sure what people expect from a veteran making $3.25m. The guy does alot of the little things right at both ends and can be used in all situations. He's physical and goes to the net (something we need more of). Here's some tidbits though: he has more pk time per game than Horvat, two points less than Hogs, and 3 points more than Podz. He's tied with Garland for PP points and 1 point behind Bo. 

You nailed his big weakness - he's not flashy.

Did you just label Pearson 'LITTLE THINGS'?

He has 53 games to reach his 15 to 20 goal average (he's at 4) which I think is doable, with Coach Boudrias. He had 4 goals in 17 playoff games in the bubble. He is a streaky scorer. I think he has value to a contender as insurance. 

122 goals in 530 NHL games 

Teams would be interested. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He has 53 games to reach his 15 to 20 goal average (he's at 4) which I think is doable, with Coach Boudrias. He had 4 goals in 17 playoff games in the bubble. He is a streaky scorer. I think he has value to a contender as insurance. 

122 goals in 530 NHL games 

Teams would be interested. 

Not at 3.25 mil for almost 3 more seasons though. 

Most of those goals were scored quite awhile ago. 

On 12/12/2021 at 7:38 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Guys that have the same playstyle/skillset as Tanner Pearson are criminally underrated by fans. It's why you see fans craping on Alex Chiasson all the time.  

Standing in front of the net is necessary, and someone has to do it.  It doesn't look pretty and 91 out of 100 times it results into nothing, but you still have to keep on doing it. It's one of the toughest and most thankless jobs in hockey.  

I constantly see people suggesting that we swap out Pearson and Chiasson for different net-front guys and it just doesn't work in real life.  I can't tell you how many times you see guys like Boeser, Hoggy and others either late to get to the front of the net or else just doing a fly-by.  

I think you are a tad overestimating the talent level required to ... stand in front of a goalie. 

Now if you added... and score to that it would make sense but not in Pearsons case as he

doesnt seem to score anymore. He made some HUGE mistakes last game and gave up

the puck alot. So if he isnt scoring and isnt making plays and isnt hitting..... ummmm. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, cdgraham said:

I would agree just not gudbranson haha

No but his size does matter, it's a need here. IF Rutherford can't see that, we're doomed for yet another rebuild when our young core puts on age and miles. We went through this before and wasted the Twins instead of getting another Anson Carter for them, same with our team now, if we managed to get into the playoff's tomorrow, we'd get eaten for lunch. 

On 12/12/2021 at 6:38 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Guys that have the same playstyle/skillset as Tanner Pearson are criminally underrated by fans. It's why you see fans craping on Alex Chiasson all the time.  

Standing in front of the net is necessary, and someone has to do it.  It doesn't look pretty and 91 out of 100 times it results into nothing, but you still have to keep on doing it. It's one of the toughest and most thankless jobs in hockey.  

I constantly see people suggesting that we swap out Pearson and Chiasson for different net-front guys and it just doesn't work in real life.  I can't tell you how many times you see guys like Boeser, Hoggy and others either late to get to the front of the net or else just doing a fly-by.  

Completely agree.  Pearson's not the problem on this team.  He's not a top 6 player on a contender, but he's not the problem.  If they can find grittier bottom 6 players who can screen the goalie, kill penalties and forecheck like a mofo, I wouldn't be disappointed in losing Pearson. This aside, I'm happy enough with him on the team.  Also, he's streaky offensively.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

I think you are a tad overestimating the talent level required to ... stand in front of a goalie. 

Now if you added... and score to that it would make sense but not in Pearsons case as he

the puck alot. So if he isnt scoring and isnt making plays and isnt hitting..... ummmm. 

It's not talent at all though... 

On the high end of those types of players you have guys like Patrick Hornqvist and Brendan Gallagher.  I haven't heard anyone refer to them as talented or skilled, usually it's to do with their compete level and willingness to go to dirty areas.  Podkolzin could maybe develop into that guy as he doesn't mind mucking it up, but we will see in a few years.  It's usually hard for rookies to do that role. 

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Completely agree.  Pearson's not the problem on this team.  He's not a top 6 player on a contender, but he's not the problem.  If they can find grittier bottom 6 players who can screen the goalie, kill penalties and forecheck like a mofo, I wouldn't be disappointed in losing Pearson. This aside, I'm happy enough with him on the team.  Also, he's streaky offensively.

Pearson is an option as a 3rd line winger. Veteran presence so i am hoping he is a mentor. My question becomes whether Dickenson permanently pushes Pearson down the lines. Bottom line also becomes whether JR can get value from him at anytime other than at a TDL frenzie?  

On 12/12/2021 at 6:28 PM, cdgraham said:

Sorry if this should be somewhere else but mods can move it to correct place if needed. 

Anyways, with the emergence of the chemistry between hoglander and horvat, with Pearson pretty obviously officially being the passenger on that line if he is on it, as well as Rutherford taking over (who has already traded Pearson for a bag of pucks once before and will probably be looking for a shakeup) + the fact it actually probably makes sense if we can get a faster replacement with equal skills or a defenseman (especially with the recent injuries) 

Anyone see this happening? Events could be lining up for him to be saying bye prior to the trade deadline or at the trade deadline. 

Also, if he is to be traded, what do we think his value is? 

I'd be inclined to say that we all should sit back and wait a few more games to see just how good is this chemistry between Horvat and Hoglander. 

regards,  G.

I think Pearson could have value. His contract's not terrible and the shift in momentum could help his stats out. That being said, it's really hard to tell in my opinion and it would just be a guess at best at this point.

But we aren't exactly in a situation where we need to trade him either. We're now more in a situation where, if someone calls us about him (if that happens of course), we'd have bargaining power.

10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not at 3.25 mil for almost 3 more seasons though. 

Most of those goals were scored quite awhile ago. 

44g 41a in 169 Canuck games over the last four seasons isn't too long ago.

regards,  G.

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It's not talent at all though... 

On the high end of those types of players you have guys like Patrick Hornqvist and Brendan Gallagher.  I haven't heard anyone refer to them as talented or skilled, usually it's to do with their compete level and willingness to go to dirty areas.  Podkolzin could maybe develop into that guy as he doesn't mind mucking it up, but we will see in a few years.  It's usually hard for rookies to do that role. 

Wait, are you saying deflecting pucks and helping shots get on net is not talent? I dare you to try deflecting a puck the exact right way so it actually goes in or knowing when and where to actually deflect or get out of the way. Even you, yourself, just said it's "hard for rookies to do that role" which tends to contradict you saying it's not talent.

Or perhaps you meant something else by it? Your post's a little confusing at best.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Has anyone gone back and looked over the scoring by Boeser over the last four games? 

This was a pretty good pass:

https://www.nhl.com/video/boesers-shot-deflects-in-for-ppg/t-326233410/c-9804665 (first goal of the LA game)

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

44g 41a in 169 Canuck games over the last four seasons isn't too long ago.

regards,  G.

Ya he has been a goal scoring machine for the Canucks, right? Was it his 10 goals last year or his 4 this year that makes him stand out? Does that sound like top 6 and top PP unit production for any player on any actual good team in the nhl?