The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Moving Ferland + our 2023 1st so that we can afford Miller, Boeser, and Horvat

[proposal] Moving Ferland + our 2023 1st so that we can afford Miller, Boeser, and Horvat

The Canucks will likely have to move on from one of Boeser, Miller, or Horvat at some point....or will they?  Correct me I’m wrong, but wouldn’t the Canucks be able to afford Boeser’s 7.5 QO if they got Ferland off the books?  Then, in the following season, Hamonic can be replaced by someone like Juulsen while we also move Pearson so that we can afford both Horvat and Miller.

Now obviously - all of the above is a moot point is if this current Canucks winning streak is just a hot streak.  If the Canucks go back to struggling and are way out of it by the trade deadline, then you obviously make a JT Miller move at the deadline and bring a guy like Braden Schneider in return.

On the flip side, if the Canucks make a miraculous come back this season and make the playoffs, then the goal should be for the Canucks to keep this core intact and build upon the fruits of this season.  Hence - my Ferland + 1st idea to clear cap and using that money to qualify Brock.  

The obvious trading partner in this instance would once again be Arizona. They get our 2023rd 1st for their efforts to take on Ferland, while we get a good young piece in return.....

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Ferland is on LTIR; we don't need to get rid of him.

Even if Ferland is on LTIR, doesn’t this make a difference to our available cap space heading into next season?  I’ll have to admit that my knowledge of LTIR is a little weak. @mll - how would this work?

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Even if Ferland is on LTIR, doesn’t this make a difference to our available cap space heading into next season?  I’ll have to admit that my knowledge of LTIR is a little weak. @mll - how would this work?

You can go over the cap by the amount of the LTIR.  The only real issue is that you can't pay bonuses out of it so those will have to slide to next year.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

The Canucks will likely have to move on from one of Boeser, Miller, or Horvat at some point....or will they?  Correct me I’m wrong, but wouldn’t the Canucks be able to afford Boeser’s 7.5 QO if they got Ferland off the books?  Then, in the following season, Hamonic can be replaced by someone like Juulsen while we also move Pearson so that we can afford both Horvat and Miller.

Now obviously - all of the above is a moot point is if this current Canucks winning streak is just a hot streak.  If the Canucks go back to struggling and are way out of it by the trade deadline, then you obviously make a JT Miller move at the deadline and bring a guy like Braden Schneider in return.

On the flip side, if the Canucks make a miraculous come back this season and make the playoffs, then the goal should be for the Canucks to keep this core intact and build upon the fruits of this season.  Hence - my Ferland + 1st idea to clear cap and using that money to qualify Brock.  

The obvious trading partner in this instance would once again be Arizona. They get our 2023rd 1st for their efforts to take on Ferland, while we get a good young piece in return.....

There is ZERO reason to do this. Just pretend that Ferland doesn't exist, pretty much every GM will tell you that's how they work with LTIR contracts.

We have MORE than enough space to resign Horvat and Boeser, and Miller if we choose to. The summer that we would have to have new contracts in place for Horvat and Miller, we currently are tagged to have over 35 million in space available.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

It's actually not that obvious.  *ONLY* reason why they had interest in obtaining those guys like the former six million dollar man was that his contract was back-end loaded (his cap hit was far more than what actual cash he was being paid).  Sure the Yotes have acquired guys on perpetual LTIR in the past but those contracts were *INSURED*.  Yotes paid essentially ZERO dollars.  Ferland's contract is *NOT* insured.  Why would the Yotes want that?  They still end up paying actual cash salary for a guy that won't play.  They're a cap floor team so even a 1st round pick wouldn't be enough to entice them.  Just another one of Benning's mistakes (signing a guy you know had serious injury issues if an insurance company refused to insure him).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

Everything I got from the Rutherford presser is that he wants to build a long-term successful team. He wants younger guys that fit our age group, even if it might take a bit for the group to come together. He pointed out that there are holes on the roster that could take a while to fill given our cap implications. 

Sounds like we aren't gonna make any short-term quick fixes moves. In fact we could be sellers.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Everything I got from the Rutherford presser is that he wants to build a long-term successful team. He wants younger guys that fit our age group, even if it might take a bit for the group to come together. He pointed out that there are holes on the roster that could take a while to fill given our cap implications. 

Sounds like we aren't gonna make any short-term quick fixes moves. In fact we could be sellers.

Yeah I just heard the presser as well.  Was pretty impressed by JR.

39 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

There is ZERO reason to do this. Just pretend that Ferland doesn't exist, pretty much every GM will tell you that's how they work with LTIR contracts.

We have MORE than enough space to resign Horvat and Boeser, and Miller if we choose to. The summer that we would have to have new contracts in place for Horvat and Miller, we currently are tagged to have over 35 million in space available.

Yes, this. I dont know why everyones panicking, or why they think Horvat and Miller are going to get these massive contract increases, its not like they're on their ELCs right now. They're not in the same tier as players getting 8-9m/year. Our best player (by far) is getting 7.8. 

Both Miller and Horvat are gonna get 1 - 1.5m/year increases which would put them around 6.5-7m/year. Hughes at 7.8 should be the most expensive on the team. Boeser goes from 6m to 7.5m/year. 

We might end up short by 1-2m but Pearson or Poolman can be moved to make room. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Yes, this. I dont know why everyones panicking, or why they think Horvat and Miller are going to get these massive contract increases, its not like they're on their ELCs right now. They're not in the same tier as players getting 8-9m/year. Our best player (by far) is getting 7.8. 

Both Miller and Horvat are gonna get 1 - 1.5m/year increases which would put them around 6.5-7m/year. Hughes at 7.8 should be the most expensive on the team. Boeser goes from 6m to 7.5m/year. 

I did a forecast 2 or 3 months ago, on where I saw the team financially, through to the 24/25 season, when the cap should really move again. It was based on some guys I thought would stay, some I thought would move. I don't think Myers will be with us through the end of his contract, I'm not sure that Miller will be resigned or if we will find a replacement for his energy, within our own group of prospects. If I can find it again, I'll post it back here.

10 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Difference is Horvat and Miller are UFAs not RFAs. Boeser has a 7.5M qualifying offer too.

On the open market Miller can get 8M+ the way he is playing. Horvat could get 7M+. They will be some of the top free agents on the market. Miller could be the top free agent if Mackinnon isn't re-signed.

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Difference is Horvat and Miller are UFAs not RFAs. Boeser has a 7.5M qualifying offer too.

On the open market Miller can get 8M+ the way he is playing. Horvat could get 7M+. They will be some of the top free agents on the market. Miller could be the top free agent if Mackinnon isn't re-signed.

I mean, its possible, but even so we're not talking about being 10m over the cap. Even if it takes 7m for Horvat and 8m for Miller, we can easily afford both and have room to spare without Pearsons contract.

Cap goes up by 1m
Luongo recapture gone (but partly taken over by Holtby/virtanen buyouts) 1.1m
Halak replaced by DiPietro (0.7m)
Sutter gone or remains on IR (0.6m)
We probably trade Pearson (3.2m)

Thats like 6.5m of space.

Boeser gets a 1.7m raise
Horvat gets 1.5m (to 7m)
Miller gets 2.75m (to 8m- unrealistic imo, i think he gets 7)

We're fine!

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I mean, its possible, but even so we're not talking about being 10m over the cap. Even if it takes 7m for Horvat and 8m for Miller, we can easily afford both and have room to spare without Pearsons contract.

Cap goes up by 1m
Luongo recapture gone (but partly taken over by Holtby/virtanen buyouts) 1.1m
Halak replaced by DiPietro (0.7m)
Sutter gone or remains on IR (0.6m)
We probably trade Pearson (3.2m)

Thats like 6.5m of space.

Boeser gets a 1.7m raise
Horvat gets 1.5m (to 7m)
Miller gets 2.75m (to 8m- unrealistic imo, i think he gets 7)

We're fine!

Rutherford talked about the holes on the roster, the fact that the cap makes it hard to fill those holes and that it could take some time to do so. Only real deals he could make are a dollar for dollar(1 for 1) right now and doesn't sound too keen on that being a long-term solution.

He mentioned the fact that he'd like to acquire younger players to fit this group and that he's fine with building a group that could take time to develop into a long-term successful team. Doesn't want to trade any high draft picks either.

This points towards us being sellers at some point. The team needs youngsters and cap space in order to fill the holes and reshape the roster.