The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford Press Conference on Dec. 13, 2021.

Rate this topic

JamesB

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

They first need to fix that defense. You cant win a cup with Schenn, Bouroughs, Hunt all in your regular lineup. Am hoping he brings Devon Toews when his contract is up to replace Myers. Maybe try and trade for Pesce or Severson and really build a cup contending defensive core in front of a vezina caliber goalie like Demko. Adding a tough guy or a pest is like the last piece you add to a cup contending team.

I agree but along the way a guy or two with edge takes some heat off your skill and young guys as you retool and attempt to flesh out the roster.

20 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Look for guys like Pearson, Hamonic, Schenn and Chaisson to be moved during the deadline for picks depending on where we are in the standing. I see Rutherford moving sliw guys and replacing them with speedier players as he talked about our team speed being issues. We just have way too many slow players. Am thinking he will mould our team similar to teams that are speedy like Avs, Carolina, Vegas etc. 

Could see Miller out too due to his age and UFA status in 2023. Not sure I would want to commit big-money and long-term on him at 30 years of age.

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

As much as I like Miller I agree. He is your best trade chip.

Productive versatile forward with center and wing capabilities. Good size and surprising speed for a big body too.

Yeah I wish he was younger and not an upcoming UFA in 2023 as a 30 year old. Maybe if we didn't have Garland who's on a more friendly deal and fits our age group better or if we didn't have OEL's contract. Probably easier to retain Horvat who's younger and likely cheaper.

Hate to lose him but circumstances to keep him aren't great for trying to build a long-term team.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

As much as I like Miller I agree. He is your best trade chip.

Productive versatile forward with center and wing capabilities. Good size and surprising speed for a big body too.

We would need a major piece coming back, that is younger with high potential. Maybe traded at trade deadline to get couple of high end prospects from teams like Avs or Carolina. I wonder if Sakic will entertain the idea of trading Newhook for Miller this year just so the Avs add size and center depth and a playoff guy in Miller vs. a rookie like Newhook. Miller would not be a rental as he would have some years left on a pretty cheap contract. While Canucka get a much younger player with great potential.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Could see Miller out too due to his age and UFA status in 2023. Not sure I would want to commit big-money and long-term on him at 30 years of age.

Yeah I wish he was younger and not an upcoming UFA in 2023 as a 30 year old. Maybe if we didn't have Garland who's on a more friendly deal and fits our age group better or if we didn't have OEL's contract. Probably easier to retain Horvat who's younger and likely cheaper.

Hate to lose him but circumstances to keep him aren't great for trying to build a long-term team.

If Rutherford could pull a trade with Avs, trading Miller for Newhook, It would be awesome. We all know Avs have the window to win the cup but its not a big window because their young guys like Byram, Newhook etc. will eventually finish their ELCs pretty soon and will demand contracts that will not fit into the cap structure like Tampa so they would need to win the cup sooner rather than later. Miller is a big upgrade on Newhook right now and gives the Avs a better chance to win a cup adding a playoff performer. While Canucks will get another young player with high potential. This is the trade I love to see if we are getting rid of Miller this year. Sakic shohld now that all his young guys that are on ELC will not be on the team when their contracts are up.

27 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah Miller would look like big piece that's the odd-man out.Garland and probably Dickinsen are safe due to age and contracts though I could probably part with Dickinsen. Probably try to keep Motte too if he's cheap. Horvat would be a huge decision but I think you keep him.  I'd even probably get rid of Boeser over Horvat especially considering Boeser's 7.5M qualifying offer.

Every other older guy you'd try to move. You can take cap back that expires in 1-2 years too in order to maximize return and have warm bodies.

I really think Myers is moved before Miller. Miller is 28 right now, is very important to the team, and still will be young enough to make a big impact in our contending window.

Myers is 31, and is far more replaceable, likely to be in major decline during our contending window. Myers, Pearson, Hamonic, Dickinson, Poolman we probably move on from. 

The two vets we keep: Miller and OEL. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

I really think Myers is moved before Miller. Miller is 28 right now, is very important to the team, and still will be young enough to make a big impact in our contending window.

Myers is 31, and is far more replaceable, likely to be in major decline during our contending window. Myers, Pearson, Hamonic, Dickinson, Poolman we probably move on from. 

The two vets we keep: Miller and OEL. 

Miller will be 30 years old when he needs a new contract. Might not be the best idea for a team wanting to create a long-term window in 2-3 years to sign a 30 year old to a big long-term contract. Especially when we already have a contract like that in OEL, when we will have a 28 year old Horvat the same year needing re-signing and a 25 year old Boeser this off-season. We also have Garland on a more friendly deal and Hog needing a raise the same year and Pod the following year.

Unless you're willing to part with Horvat which I wouldn't want to do since he's younger and we can likely get cheaper.

Also we won't have the cap to fix the D than too.

• Huggy Bear 2

51 minutes ago, combover said:

Watched the entire interview.

gotta say I really like what he had to say. 
i like the answers

not looking to trade draft pick 

not looking to add 30+ year old players. 

If he makes trades he wants to get younger. 

likes the team but see it has holes and needs pieces 

take some time to see the team up close before making decisions. 

Good answers to the wall/gear dismissals 

FA made the call give JR the ability to change the culture with his guys that have no loyalties to previous regimes. 

Did say one time a stupid catch phrase “age gap” foundational” “ placeholder”

no fluff 

what a stupid question about Jake  Virtanen.

I thought he said maybe 30+ on short term - so filler for a cup run at the right time kind of move, which can make sense when a window is open. 

I still think Miller might be the guy that does get moved to correct some of the roster roles with prospects at C and d. If we can bring in guys that will be competitive in 2 years then that could be a great move, but man you'd better get that scouting correct. 

I wonder if his willingness to move later round picks has to do with trying to move out some guys like Pearson or Myers? 

The team needs to be re-shaped, but not blown up. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

Sounds pretty clear that he is in the assessment stage right now and doesn't want to commit to what direction the team is going, which is perfectly fair. I was surprised by his comments about Green being a good coach but just reached an end to his tenure. I generally roll my eyes when others say that in the face of Bruce's current win streak with the same guys but he's made me question whether I am wrong. 

My only gripe was his defense of the Jack Johnson signing (which had to be bought out). That really was a terrible signing and I would've hope he'd reflect on it and see where he went wrong. I'd be fearful of him doing something similar with our team. His answer for why he got Gudbranson I think was fine.

It could be something he admits privately but not publicly. 

As a GM, admitting that you made a bad signing might sound good in that you're acknowledging your faults and recognize where you need to improve, but doing so also throws the player under the bus, and this could impact your relationship with an agent of that player who may have other clients you're interested in. Acknowledging your mistake simultaneously insults somebody else and so there can be reasons to not do so publicly. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Good synopsis James.

I only disagree with one thing.

I found it really boring and fell asleep twice.

Frankie going from one side to the other like a windshield wiper; all rooks -> all old guys; this is better.

Should find out who the new AGM is this week and later the GM. 

To complete this ass-backwards hiring restructure, coach and asst coach, then POHO, then AGM, then analytics and capologist, then GM.

Its all good; I'm good too; just sleepy.

Management is like politics, you want it to be boring. That means things are working as intended. Otherwise entertainment means we are living through a gong show. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

If Rutherford could pull a trade with Avs, trading Miller for Newhook, It would be awesome. We all know Avs have the window to win the cup but its not a big window because their young guys like Byram, Newhook etc. will eventually finish their ELCs pretty soon and will demand contracts that will not fit into the cap structure like Tampa so they would need to win the cup sooner rather than later. Miller is a big upgrade on Newhook right now and gives the Avs a better chance to win a cup adding a playoff performer. While Canucks will get another young player with high potential. This is the trade I love to see if we are getting rid of Miller this year. Sakic shohld now that all his young guys that are on ELC will not be on the team when their contracts are up.

Newhook would be a real tough pull. ELC performing well on a contending team. They'd probably want to keep ELCs like that and add a contract like Miller's who will expire the exact same time Byram and Newhook need deals. Miller would be a perfect add in that sense. Johnson's contract is also expiring the same time. A lot of expiring contracts the next 1-2 years I think they should be good on Newhook/Byram/Mackinnon re-signings.

Probably much easier to swing Justin Barron(2020 25th overall RD prospect)++++

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Look for guys like Pearson, Hamonic, Schenn and Chaisson to be moved during the deadline for picks depending on where we are in the standing. I see Rutherford moving sliw guys and replacing them with speedier players as he talked about our team speed being issues. We just have way too many slow players. Am thinking he will mould our team similar to teams that are speedy like Avs, Carolina, Vegas etc. 

they're not rebuilding, they still players to play at the level they want to be at.  Over the net 2-3 years they'll be gone, but they are still important players in the lineup.

Just now, JM_ said:

I thought he said maybe 30+ on short term - so filler for a cup run at the right time kind of move, which can make sense when a window is open. 

I still think Miller might be the guy that does get moved to correct some of the roster roles with prospects at C and d. If we can bring in guys that will be competitive in 2 years then that could be a great move, but man you'd better get that scouting correct. 

I wonder if his willingness to move later round picks has to do with trying to move out some guys like Pearson or Myers? 

your right He did say that but he’s not looking to add 30+ year olds unless it was a short term and made sense to the team. No issues with that 

giving up gadovichs and keeping dowelings /Chiassons is the exact  crap we should avoid now. 

Can’t see anyone touching pearson Poolman Myers without sweeteners.

miller probably the biggest trade chip at the deadline. I’d be ok with him getting moved since  I’d rather keep boeser. 

Myers maybe if a contender has injuries but they’d have to have the cap tied to LTR a Tampa special 

the term left on pearson and Poolman make them next to impossible to move. 
i love hoglander but I wonder if we can have two very small forwards now that we have garland to I think one of them might be gone. 

Pretty clear he wants this team to be faster. BB wants a pressure forechecking team we’ll need some size for that. 

this teams so cap screwed.  he called it money out get money in and in most cases those trades don’t achieve much. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

When he said 30+ short term it is probably veteran presence, role players that you can potentially flip I figure. We will still need bodies in a reset. At least that's how I thought he viewed it during a reset. I figure after the reset we probably sign a significant UFA or two with the cap we'd have with ELCs on the roster.

Yeah we have most the top 9 FWD group set already. No need to blow things up completely. I would trade Miller and maybe Boeser. Keep Garland, Horvat, Petey, Pod and Hog. That makes 5/9 of the top 9 already set. Boeser/Miller can help you acquire picks, prospect C and D long-term and clear cap which should all help with the roster reshaping. Maybe a youngish RD that can play now if we luck out(wishful thinking).

Try and trade the other older veterans as well. We can take teams cap dumps if it lasts 1-2 years in order to maximize return and have warm bodies. On top of retaining salary on 1-2 year guys.

I am sure a couple years of top 15 picks in good drafts will help as well.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Well I think being a fast team will make us a better team and size should be secondary to that. If you have speed as a 2nd criteria then you are doing it wrong, just look at Avs  Carolina, Vegas etc. they all play a speedy game. I think size will be a factor thats looked at if the players we get check the box for speed and skill.

Wasn’t a rank list. 

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

I have not seen a new topic on Rutherford's introductory press conference (or "media availability" as they are now called), so I decided to start one. 

This is best Canuck press conference I have ever seen. There are two main reasons.

A. There were a lot of good questions and surprisingly full and honest answers from Rutherford. Even Aquilini was more forthcoming than usual.

B. I absolutely loved what I heard from Rutherford.

Here are some high points (from my point of view).

1. Coaching. I had been wondering about how the Boudreau hiring fit with Rutherford. The answer is that Aquilini was talking to both of them separately. Rutherford had to delay accepting the job because he was ill and Aquilini asked if it was okay if they went ahead with Boudreau and Rutherford was on board. Rutherford was very positive about Boudreau but was careful not to insult Green. I really liked the way Rutherford handled the discussion of coaching. (Rutherford noted that he and Boudreau have known each other for about 50 years and always wanted to work together,)

2. Trades. Rutherford said he is no hurry to make trades, He said he wanted to get to know the team better and will probably take from now till the end of January. He said people have been calling him about trades already but he is not initiating calls yet. He wants to get the front office sorted out first. He said the team is missing a few pieces but that, given the cap situation, it is hard to do a lot quickly. Everything he said makes perfect sense to me.

3. Draft Picks. Rutherford said that he did not want to trade high draft picks -- that the Canucks are not in the right phase of the cycle to do that. Agree 100%.

4. Wall and Gear. Rutherford apparently had no role in firing Wall and Gear. Aquilini had been reviewing the organization and apparently decided to fire those two guys on his own.

5. Demko, Hughes, and Pettersson. Rutherford said that Canucks already have one of the hardest pieces to get in building a Cup contender -- a franchise goalie in Demko. He also loves Hughes. He is high on Pettersson's talent but agreed that he needs to improve. Nothing shocking in these comments but good answers to questions.

6. Why did he take the job at his age? Apparently it was a close call and he turned the job down at least once before he accepted and has turned down other opportunities. But he was very impressed by the fact that Aqulini went to his home to talk to him (credit to Aquilini) and that he sees a lot of potential in the Canucks (esp. with Demko and Hughes to build around). Also, he appreciates being back in Canada and appreciates the enthusiasm in Vancouver. And of course he loves the game. My guess is that after being retired for a while the timing was about right, so I think the Canucks were lucky on this one. 

7. Vision. Rutherford did not go into a lot of detail, saying he wants to evaluate things first, but what he did say makes sense to me. This is just my reading of what he said and could be wrong but my paraphrase is that, given the age profile of the team, the "window of opportunity" might open in a couple of years and then stay open for a few years. So, if he adds players he wants them to be on the young side. Also, that is why he does not want to trade high draft picks now because those are the guys who will be good in 2 or 3 or 4 years and will be on cheap contracts. You need some guys like that on a Cup contender. Rutherford is not going to spell things out in that much detail but that is what I am reading into his comments. I love the fact that I can see a coherent logic behind his comments. 

8. Contrast with Benning.  Benning loyalists might want to omit this point. To me Rutherford is the opposite of Benning. First, he speaks well and carefully (including handling politically sensitive topics very well). It is a huge relief to have a GM who can go for more than two sentences without a major grammatical or logical error. Second, when I listened to Benning I would normally cringe at half his answers. With Rutherford I was applauding pretty much every answer. With Rutherford I can see an underlying consistent plan whereas with Benning I had the sense that everything he did was just an opportunistic reaction without a coherent plan. 

9. Experience Factor. Aquilini emphasized the importance of the experience factor. I wanted to ask Aquilini if experience was so important, why did he hire a rookie President, rookie GM and rookie NHL head coach last time round. Anyway, I think Aquilini has it right this time.

10. Bottom Line. Love this this hire. 

Thanks for the summary. Will watch the press conference when I get home later.

But if it as you summarized, I think we are in good hands.

Most importantly, this answers the questions surrounding Boudreau hiring. I was a bit worried that JR may come in and want to hire his own coach.

I think Pettersson is on his way to becoming a premier center in this league. Him joining PK and running his own line away from JT Miller are the steps in the right direction.

I wouldn't rule out playoffs at this point with the way the guys are playing under Bruce. If playoffs are a possibility, I expect JR to address the LD situation and strengthen the bottom 6 forwards. But it is reassuring to know that the first round draft pick will be off the table. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, combover said:

Pretty clear he wants this team to be faster. BB wants a pressure forechecking team we’ll need some size for that. 

this teams so cap screwed.  he called it money out get money in and in most cases those trades don’t achieve much. 

its pretty constrained until after next season, for sure. If JR can bring in a C with size that sure makes things easier, but I suspect we need to draft that this year. Thankfully trading the 1st is off the table.

There's some big kids in the draft at C - Geekie 6'4 205 already. Now that would be a nice addition. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

your right He did say that but he’s not looking to add 30+ year olds unless it was a short term and made sense to the team. No issues with that 

giving up gadovichs and keeping dowelings /Chiassons is the exact  crap we should avoid now. 

Can’t see anyone touching pearson Poolman Myers without sweeteners.

miller probably the biggest trade chip at the deadline. I’d be ok with him getting moved since  I’d rather keep boeser. 

Myers maybe if a contender has injuries but they’d have to have the cap tied to LTR a Tampa special 

the term left on pearson and Poolman make them next to impossible to move. 
i love hoglander but I wonder if we can have two very small forwards now that we have garland to I think one of them might be gone. 

I move Boeser and Miller personally. 7.5M qualifying offer for Boeser. Hog is 20 years old and fits our age group better and will likely be much cheaper. Garland on very cheap friendly deal. They small but play bigger than they are and are a lot more consistent than Boeser on top of being faster than him.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Try and trade the other older veterans as well. We can take teams cap dumps if it lasts 1-2 years in order to maximize return and have warm bodies. On top of retaining salary on 1-2 year guys.

I am sure a couple years of top 15 picks in good drafts will help as well.

I wonder if we'd be better off trading for young RFAs vs another 1st? would help to compress the development timeline.