The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford Press Conference on Dec. 13, 2021.

Rate this topic

JamesB

5 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Last thing to add too - Tampa has 68m tied up in 10 players.. Makes 55m tied up in 10 players sound very doable ;)

They've been a playoff contender for years and pay low taxes. That's a lot more attractive than what we bring.

Also the players they have are a lot better than ours.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm guessing that Brock is good as gone simply because he is one of the worst skaters on our team but has some of the highest value. Petey and the boys will be crushed, and so will the fans. I sure hope JR doesn't mess this up. I will say, I've been worried since the hire, but today's PC put me more at ease. But, I'll say it again: I still sure hope he doesn't mess it up, ha! 

I think he just wants the team to be faster overall. Not specifically focused on Brock. 

Doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't put the puck in the net. Brock, imo, is a 30 goal scorer at his peak and type of a talent that we need in order to win games.

I don't think Rutherford would sacrifice goalscoring purely just for speed. Boeser is one of our crucial players. 

Maybe more for fringe players probably like a Pearson who isn't really the best, but a decent, serviceable middle 6 player that we could replace for a faster alternative. 

Who knows, JR is an aggressive hockey executive that isn't afraid to make bold moves.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Brock to the point of labelling him being "as good as gone" though.

• Cheers 1

Just now, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Firmly against that idea. Personal connections are how you get the wrong people for the job. Try to get the best available for the position and that goes top to bottom on any hockey team.

Even if it's someone he's worked with in the past?

I think the lateral move will be, Boeser for a RHD.....same age................................It would not surprise me if it's Detroit's Hronek

I think the move would be to get some talent on the Right side................................I am not sure where the plus goes, if any?

I also think, that from what I heard, is that it will be Miller that goes, regrettably, only because he does not fit the age group..........

I know @mll thinks I am nuts, I still think it is something around Marino and Blueger (Rutherford's Pitts connection). Maybe something like

Poolman back with Miller (Crosby, Malkin and Letang are not getting any younger)

The third thing, I hear somewhere was that Rutherford sees us taking a small step back(My words), which sorta goes with moving Miller

and then drafting a young fast replacement for Miller ( Forwards develop faster), and "IF" he pulls off something like the first "suggestions"

He will not be in such a hurry to draft that young Dman. .............note that both Marino and Hronek are signed longer term.................

I am not saying, this exactly, but certainly moves like this..................

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Firmly against that idea. Personal connections are how you get the wrong people for the job. Try to get the best available for the position and that goes top to bottom on any hockey team.

This is not always true. If you only look at people you have a connection with them it’s more likely to be. But it sounds like a very extensive search. And he probably has a connection of some kind to almost all of them tbh.

4 hours ago, combover said:

what a stupid question about Jake  Virtanen.

I was cringing.

The reporter even did a double take with Francesco and asked if any of the investigation will be revealed to the public.

Pretty blatantly disrespectful, not only to JR who's literally just arrived in Vancouver but most importantly the victim. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Even if it's someone he's worked with in the past?

Yes. Once you yourself hire a personal connection every decision made thereafter is potentially biased. There’s always that temptation to lean favorably towards that person because you have an emotional connection regardless of what the right decision is. Benning made some of his worst moves because of doing just that.

If Rutherford hired Boudreau I’d have the same concerns fwiw. That’s how I feel anyways, I’m sure others may disagree.

For Petey to stay at 7.3 he will need to step up his game . A lot.

I bet Petey and Boeser become trade bait.

Maybe Miller if they think they are a few years away. Bruce likes Miller. They will give Petey tons of ice time. Same as Boeser.

Boeser will be the first To go.

"Unless" this team turns out to be closer then they thought. There is the chance that these guys just need a few minor holes filled. I got the impression that they aren't sure yet. Rutherford said " they may be better then anyone thought".

If they decide that this group is closer then they thought they will need to get some buy in from the guys on contract extensions. They still have holes to fill and would need to lock down Boeser , Miller and Horvat.

It is all in Boudreau's hands for now . Oh , and the players . Show us what you got.

3 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Yes. Once you yourself hire a personal connection every decision made thereafter is potentially biased. There’s always that temptation to lean favorably towards that person because you have an emotional connection regardless of what the right decision is. Benning made some of his worst moves because of doing just that.

If Rutherford hired Boudreau I’d have the same concerns fwiw. That’s how I feel anyways, I’m sure others may disagree.

Rutherford isn’t Benning though. He has built successful front offices everywhere he has been and has not hesitated to make the moves he thought were necessary.

As soon as Benning hired Weisbrod I knew he had no capacity to think outside his own comfort zone. That was only reinforced when the two of them started pushing out any dissenting voices and consolidating all decision making input to just them.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think the lateral move will be, Boeser for a RHD.....same age................................It would not surprise me if it's Detroit's Hronek

I think the move would be to get some talent on the Right side................................I am not sure where the plus goes, if any?

I also think, that from what I heard, is that it will be Miller that goes, regrettably, only because he does not fit the age group..........

I know @mll thinks I am nuts, I still think it is something around Marino and Blueger (Rutherford's Pitts connection). Maybe something like

Poolman back with Miller (Crosby, Malkin and Letang are not getting any younger)

The third thing, I hear somewhere was that Rutherford sees us taking a small step back(My words), which sorta goes with moving Miller

and then drafting a young fast replacement for Miller ( Forwards develop faster), and "IF" he pulls off something like the first "suggestions"

He will not be in such a hurry to draft that young Dman. .............note that both Marino and Hronek are signed longer term.................

I am not saying, this exactly, but certainly moves like this..................

Not necessarily opposed to the idea(s), but if the Canucks were trading with Detroit then I might ask for Seider. Might not get him, but that is who I would be asking for.

regards,  G.

I think it was Rutherford that said this something like this.....

(Hey, it has been hard to keep track of everything that has happened and been said)

But, it goes kind of like this.............

"The difference between a good team and an also ran team can be the difference of 2 good players)

Take that and he wants a younger faster team................and something is going to happen............

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Not necessarily opposed to the idea(s), but if the Canucks were trading with Detroit then I might ask for Seider. Might not get him, but that is who I would be asking for.

regards,  G.

Yeah, no kidding, but she ain't dancing with you anyways! Everybody wants the pretty one!

43 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think it was Rutherford that said this sometimes like this.....

(Hey, it has been hard to keep track of everything that has happened and been said)

But, it goes kind of like this.............

"The difference between a good team and an also ran team can be the difference of 2 good players)

Take that and he wants a younger faster team................and something is going to happen............

He also said this team has glaring holes. I took that as toughness. When the games get cranked up, we’ve got no one. I think every team needs a 4th line guy that can throw a big hit and drop the mitts if the team needs it. 

Also last night we got a big W, but that was Carolina’s 3rd game in 4 nights without their starting goalie, best forward and best Defenseman . Look how fast they still were.  There’s about 10 teams in the league that bring speed like that and I think JR is absolutely right... we need to get quicker. I see the back end as extremely slow too with the exception of Hughes. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

It does sound like Rutherford perceives the window to be further on the horizon rather than now (which is what Benning was trying to do).  If this is the case then it's going to be intriguing.

The emphasis on younger players, presumably on cheaper contracts, makes me wonder if Rutherford is looking at Demko and Hughes as the main pieces of a "veteran" core moving forward.  Pettersson is presumably also included with Demko and Hughes, but Rutherford was a bit more guarded in his comments about Pettersson (understandably - Pettersson is only now beginning to show signs of his previous level of play). 

If this is the case, then it feels like Miller is probably in an age + $ cohort that won't fit in with the perceived start of the team's window.  If we're looking 2-3 years out, then he'll already be in his early 30s and he's going to eat up a lot of cap room.  It was always possible that Miller would be traded, but the likelihood of that depended a lot on whether the new management team believes the window is now or later.  Garland's probably safe as he provides good value at his cap hit even if he's technically in an older age cohort.

This also leaves room to wonder about Horvat's future although it won't make any sense for the Canucks to move him out unless they at least receive a very good young C in return for him or someone else.  I assume Rutherford will take the position that he's stuck with OEL.

What is the core?  2 or 3 guys who you build a team around?  4 or 5?  More?

I think he's saying Demko (26) for sure.  You build from the net out.

Hughes (22) keeps getting better and better.

Pettersson (23) possibly.  Does it go farther than that?

If he adds players to support this core, he wants them to be younger so that when the window is truly open, that there are young players who are playing well who are on lower priced contracts.  This presumably is 2, 3 or 4 years down the road.

As for players who are older than the "core"  they are the assets that may be moved for prospects or picks and some just for cap room.  Miller (28), Pearson (29), OEL (30), Myers (31)

But these are all generalities and he is going to need some time for evaluation 1. to build a front office team and 2. to fix some flaws in the line up and to build around the core

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

I still think Miller might be the guy that does get moved to correct some of the roster roles with prospects at C and d. If we can bring in guys that will be competitive in 2 years then that could be a great move, but man you'd better get that scouting correct. 

I wonder if his willingness to move later round picks has to do with trying to move out some guys like Pearson or Myers? 

The team needs to be re-shaped, but not blown up. 

Great comments. The big question now is what moves will be made when JR does start looking to make moves -- maybe in February or March. Miller is a possibility as he is signed for only one more year and, although he is an excellent player, he is exactly the kind of guy who gets a UFA contract that is too long given his age (he will be about 30 ) and too expensive. I think it will depend on how the Canucks do in the next two months. If they go on a streak and actually get  back into the playoff discussion for this year, I think he stays. 

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

its pretty constrained until after next season, for sure. If JR can bring in a C with size that sure makes things easier, but I suspect we need to draft that this year. Thankfully trading the 1st is off the table.

There's some big kids in the draft at C - Geekie 6'4 205 already. Now that would be a nice addition. 

Agree about being relieved about not trading the first.  I think it is likely that JR sees this year's first round pick as an important building block for what he views as the likely window of opportunity to be a Cup contender.

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

One of the things I liked most about Rutherford's presser was the statement that we might be only a couple of trades away from being a contender, or a couple of trades away from disaster.  Coming from a gunslinger like him, that's very level-headed and suggests he won't do anything rash just to do something.  It's pretty clear that he knows he's working under a different mandate here than in Pittsburgh.  This should alleviate some of the concerns that people have been kicking around here.

Yes, JR pointed out that with so much parity in the league,  a couple of moves can push the team close to the top or close to the bottom. As others have said, no need to blow up the team. Just two or three moves (including maybe a good first round pick) and letting the young guys to continue to improve, along with good coaching and good goaltending, might be enough. 

2 hours ago, khay said:

He also said, you can't just have one type of guys when justifying Johnson and Gudbranson acquisition.

I think if Boudreau likes Schenn, Schenn stays.

Yes, JR emphasized needing a range of player types. Schenn is cheap,  fills an important need, and would not generate much of a return. I don't see him going anywhere.

So, who will be moved. I think Boeser might be moved. He is a good player but there are three reasons why he might be on the trading block later this season. First, his current contract is up this year and  his qualifying offer is $7.5 million, That might just be unaffordable. And even if the Canucks could make room for it, Boeser is no bargain at that price.  Second, JR indicated a couple of times that he would like more team speed and Boeser is not a fast skater. Third, he probably has a fairly high trade value this year as guy who can contribute to a playoff run or Cup run and as an RFA. 

I like Boeser. He is legitimate "sniper"  and I would be happy if he stays. But he would need to sign for a lower salary (which I think is unlikely) and he does not contribute a lot in other areas -- not much physical play, not likely for the PK, not an energy player, not a likely shutdown guy.  Guys with impressive scoring numbers and highlight reel goals but limits in other areas are often overvalued in the market. 

Of course, at this stage it is all very uncertain and a lot depends on how things go in the next few weeks.  

Edited by JamesB
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

One thing I can say is that it’s nice to have a PoHO/Interim GM who can string together two sentences and find a coherent thought without a floodlight and a search and rescue team. 

It matters.  Burkie publicly defended Benning's hayseed persona on several occasions, but I could never be sure whether it was sincere or part of his ongoing vendetta against all things Canuck.  But when the chips are down or times are difficult, you need someone who can communicate and isn't small minded.  Rutherford is another huge gust of fresh air.