The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rutherfords bait

Based on the in-depth play I see on the ice and with where we need some tweaking; while also adding in Rutherfords comments today. I think the following players and prospect should be our trade chips for tweaking the roster right now and come trade deadline. Please propose trade ideas and thoughts! 

Pearson

Hamonic

Brisebois

Utunen

3rd Round Draft Pick 2022 (WPG)

5th Round Draft Pick 2023

Garland -Miller- Boeser

Dickinson -Horvat- Podkolzin

-Pettersson- Hoglander

Lammikko -Highmore- Motte

Dowling                        Chiasson

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Schenn

- Poolman

Hunt - Burroughs

Demko

Halak

LTIR

B.Keeper

Bra.Sutter

M.Ferland

ABBOTSFORD

P.Di Giuseppe -S.Dries- S.Rempal

N.Petan -V.Arseneau- Ju.Bailey

J.Stevens -J.Lukosevicius- W.Lockwood

K.Plasek -C.Focht- D.Klimovich

E.Keppen -T.Nielsen- C.Wouters

D.Stephens - N.Juulsen

J.Rathbone - J.Woo

C.Schilling - M.Bowey

A.Brubacher - A.Kannok-Leipert

M.DiPietro

A.Silovs

S.Martin

EUROPE PRO/EUROPE JR./NCAA/JR.

A.McDonough -L.Jasek- L.Karlsson

J.Kunz -A.Costmar- A.Manukyan

D.Zlodeyev -J.Malone- C.Lockhart

L.Forsell -D.Zhukenov-

J.Jurmo - V.Persson

J.Truscott - 

H.Gabrielson - J.Myrenberg

N.Tryamkin

M.Thiessen

A.Koskenvuo

31 minutes ago, Underdog7 said:

Yeah he’s the most experienced executive in the entire league and wants to win multiple Stanley Cups in Vancouver.

Well if he's the most experienced executive in the entire league then he must be good at master baiting other GM's. Good to know Jim has players on our roster to master bait our way to the cup. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, suitup said:

Well if he's the most experienced executive in the entire league then he must be good at master baiting other GM's. Good to know Jim has players on our roster to master bait our way to the cup. 

Trading Murray was good baiting, masterfully done so maybe there’s a chance we could see a significant player pulled by another team

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Underdog7 said:

I think the following players and prospect should be our trade chips for tweaking the roster right now and come trade deadline. Please propose trade ideas and thoughts! 

Pearson

Hamonic

Brisebois

Utunen

3rd Round Draft Pick 2022 (WPG)

5th Round Draft Pick 2023

Those are not exactly what I'd call trade chips!

Pearson is close to negative value because of his large contract. He also has a full NTC this season so he's probably not going anywhere.

Hamonic may get you a small return but he's also got another year at $3m so is not strictly a rental and not cheap. I could see a deal with a team like WSH for Hamonic. They are struggling for a decent RD behind Carlson and would like to also clear a little cap space for when Backstrom and other injured players return. Schultz is used more like a 3rd pairing $4m Dman now and he is UFA next season, so Hamonic would slide nicely into that 2nd pairing for the playoffs and next season and provide some savings over Schultz.

Deal could be something like:

To WSH: Hamonic

To VAN: 2022 3rd round pick + Kempny + Hagelin (50% retained)

Essentially VAN does this to clear Hamonic's $3m cap space next season and gets a 3rd rounder. Kempny is UFA after this season, so no ongoing costs. Hagelin has 1 year left but at 50% ($1.375m) could be a decent bottom 6 guy or buried in the minors for only a small cost to our cap. WSH upgrades their 2RD and clears some cap space in the process.

Deals like the one above rely on Hamonic being vaccinated (which I believe he is now) and being willing to play for an Eastern US team. I guess if Hamonic didn't report to WSH then they could void his contract and still clear the cap space for only the cost of a 3rd round pick.

Can't see Brisebois, Utunen being worth anything.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

IMO here are the real trade chips this upcoming TDL in order of value:

Boeser (only trade if the return is excellent) the emergence of wingers Garland, Podkolzin and Hoglander make a Boeser trade possible (with Klimovich coming in 2 years)

Motte

Hamonic

Hunt

I also see Rathbone as an upcoming talented offensive LD who's progression is blocked by OEL and Hughes, so moving him for an area of need might be good for both parties. But this is not really a TDL trade, more likely to happen in the off season.

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

IMO here are the real trade chips this upcoming TDL in order of value:

Boeser (only trade if the return is excellent) the emergence of wingers Garland, Podkolzin and Hoglander make a Boeser trade possible (with Klimovich coming in 2 years)

Motte

Hamonic

Hunt

I also see Rathbone as an upcoming talented offensive LD who's progression is blocked by OEL and Hughes, so moving him for an area of need might be good for both parties. But this is not really a TDL trade, more likely to happen in the off season.

I don't know if I agree there. I think it's too hard to really know what our chips are at the moment. We probably need more time to see who's playing well and integral to the team and who's not as 4 games is just not enough. We also don't know where are holes truly are at the moment in my opinion. We might have a bit of an idea, but I'm not so sure.

That being said, with Rutherford saying we need to be faster, perhaps Boeser does end up being a chip but he's also clearly integral to the chemistry of the team all the team, but with that same statement, I don't know if I see Rathbone then being a chip as he provides mobilty on the backend..

Edited by The Lock