The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Discussion} Is anyone else sick of Thomas Drance?

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But yeah, Drance is an insufferable idiot and I wish someone would ship him off to Alberta.

I was originally going to say Toronto but that's probably his dream. 

Insufferable Idiot is a great take.  Captures a lot. Columbus would be good for him also.

I'm not a fan of Drance. He's the culmination of loads of bloggers who communicate in nothing but tones of smarm that rely on analytics. Is he the worst? Not by a country mile. That's Daniel Wagner. Ole Drancer is normalizing, now that IHack had to take stress leave over Gear and Wall's dismissal, Thommy Rocket jumped up a notch. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think Drancer has some pretty reasonable takes, but he is a bit smug.

Definitely coming from the Botchford school of sensationalized hockey gone soap opera, but he's at the very least informed and on top of things.

I really wasn't too fond of him at first, but when you see what he looks like in real life... the dude's got a face for radio. Let him have this.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, nergish said:

I think Drancer has some pretty reasonable takes, but he is a bit smug.

Definitely coming from the Botchford school of sensationalized hockey gone soap opera, but he's at the very least informed and on top of things.

I really wasn't too fond of him at first, but when you see what he looks like in real life... the dude's got a face for radio. Let him have this.

I agree that Drance can be a bit smug which is what I think takes away from some of his more reasonable takes on things, especially when they deal with negative circumstances.  Drance is also incredibly active on social media and media generally that there's probably a bit of overexposure that is negatively impacting him also.

It's not all bad for Canucks media though.  Personally I think Ryan Biech joining the Canucks was quite a loss for Canucks media.  Satiar Shah and Harman Dayal often provide reasonable takes.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I agree that Drance can be a bit smug which is what I think takes away from some of his more reasonable takes on things, especially when they deal with negative circumstances.  Drance is also incredibly active on social media and media generally that there's probably a bit of overexposure that is negatively impacting him also.

It's not all bad for Canucks media though.  Personally I think Ryan Biech joining the Canucks was quite a loss for Canucks media.  Satiar Shah and Harman Dayal often provide reasonable takes.

Sat and Harm are great. I just hope Harman doesn't get negatively influenced by Drance. Harman is very analytical, which I like. Drance can be insightful and has some interesting thoughts, but they get overshadowed by his smarm and unlikeable persona that he infuses into his analysis. He also seems to neither have a background in statistics nor journalism and it shows. 

2 hours ago, WEVEGOTMOTTE said:

Is it just me?:)

He is a guest on too many shows, The VanCast is unbearable with him on it, his pale face (reminiscent of a clown) is a major eyesore for television.  

An analytics dork who can't skate backwards and thinks Brad Hunt is a god. A wannabe of a person who is no longer with us.  

The questions at press conferences are long winded and bias, with shocking regularity, Petey even called him out recently.

I could go on.  Is anyone else tired of him?

I never understood fans and the hate they have for media...don't like a certain person, don't listen to them when they are on the air or on tv...quite simple!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I never understood fans and the hate they have for media...don't like a certain person, don't listen to them when they are on the air or on tv...quite simple!

I think it's more when you enjoy a show or program generally until they have someone like Drance on as a guest.

Can't really avoid that at that point unless if it means turning off a show you like otherwise.

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, WEVEGOTMOTTE said:

Is it just me?:)

He is a guest on too many shows, The VanCast is unbearable with him on it, his pale face (reminiscent of a clown) is a major eyesore for television.  

An analytics dork who can't skate backwards and thinks Brad Hunt is a god. A wannabe of a person who is no longer with us.  

The questions at press conferences are long winded and bias, with shocking regularity, Petey even called him out recently.

I could go on.  Is anyone else tired of him?

Thomas Drance is a cancer and a menace to the Canucks hockey community as is JD Burke.

Both men perpetuate the myth that we've been "lost for 8 years" without acknowledging the fact that....

1) All teams go through a rebuild.  Look at the histories of all of the top teams in the NHL today.

2) The 8 years narrative is an inaccuracy given that we qualified for the playoffs in both 2015 and 2020.

3) Within the last week, both men are trying to create a new narrative that "the Canucks are streaking now because they weren't really trying before because they were fed up with Benning and his lack of an apparent plan" (in actuality, Green's system.....or lack thereof.......was extremely incompatible with our players). 

4) A few years ago, Thomas Drance tried to heavily infer that Jim Benning wanted to draft Cody Glass over Elias Pettersson but was overruled by Linden. In actuality, Benning was thinking about moving up in draft in 2017 (5th overall++) so that the Canucks could draft Cale Makar, but Thomas Gradin sold Benning on Pettersson saying that he was the real deal.  

Guys like Drance and JD Burke know that they have a following consisting of fans that

1) Put way too much stock in advanced analytics at the expense of a lot of other hockey qualities

2) position themselves as "new age" and "forward thinking" and reject what is perceived as "old school dinosaur' ways of doing things.  

It's why sites such as HFCanucks (huge Drance and JD Burke followers) turn a blind eye to Mike Gillis' drafting woes while hammering Benning on his pro scouting woes.  

• Cheers 1