The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks place Luke Schenn, Juho Lammikko on COVID-19 protocol, Both test Positive

Rate this topic

cuporbust

21 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Is Vancouver stupid or something? Why is this happening there and not even in American cities?

What the hell is wrong with the Canucks’ Covid protocols??? Are they not taking this seriously?

Am I a fan of a team full of losers? 

Consider this.

Carolina played the Oilers on Saturday. Ryan McLeod is now in protocol.

They played Calgary on Thursday. Calgary now has 6 guys in protocol.

They played the Canucks on Sunday. Now WE have a couple of players go down.

Coincidence? Perhaps. But I'd say it's enough of an obvious potential answer that makes your assumptions (based on nothing) seem even more falsely accusatory. 

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Me_ said:

So again the league is f***ed.

Great.

Doubt it. Imagine the look of not just hockey but things in general if they take away the freedoms of people who blindly got vaccinated because they were promised a return to normal.

They go back on that now and your gonna see a complete sh*t storm from all the people on the fence in the first place.

Games might get postponed and that's as far as it will go imo. People will just completely lose faith in Government if they impose the lockdowns and regulations like before and this time they won't have the vaccine card to keep the sheep calm.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Consider this.

Carolina played the Oilers on Saturday. Ryan McLeod is now in protocol.

They played Calgary on Thursday. Calgary now has 6 guys in protocol.

They played the Canucks on Sunday. Now WE have a couple of players go down.

Coincidence? Perhaps. But I'd say it's enough of an obvious potential answer that makes your assumptions (based on nothing) seem even more falsely accusatory. 

That’s just bad. That team should be shut down.

50 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Is Vancouver stupid or something? Why is this happening there and not even in American cities?

What the hell is wrong with the Canucks’ Covid protocols??? Are they not taking this seriously?

shocked oh no GIF

• Haha 1

With any luck it's just Omicron.

At present it looks like Omicron is very contagious can't be stopped or slowed by vaccines, but not that harmful. The best way of dealing with it might be natural immunity.

So if it's Omicron and the science bears it out just let them play.

17 minutes ago, Me_ said:

That’s just bad. That team should be shut down.

You're just full of opinions aren't you? :)

The challenge is that Covid is a "thing" - especially over the last week. There are 7 teams with players currently on protocol, with 4 of them having at least 2 or more players involved. So far. At what point does the league shut down a team? After one instance? Two? Three? There is a lot involved with changing game dates - from the planning and executing multiple team delays to marketing contracts and TV time. Looks like they finally did shut down Calgary, and imo they probably SHOULD have shut down Carolina as well. So although I share your thoughts that the league could be a little more careful, I have a feeling that as Omicron ramps up that we're probably going to see worse case counts going forward and if that happens then if they freak out now about it with a few cases, they may be forced to have an even stronger response later... which would likely be in the form of a shortened season. 

Perhaps Carolina brought it various teams, perhaps they didn't. But either way, it's pretty narrow-minded in my opinion to immediately condemn the policies of the Canucks as ineffective. Like in life outside the NHL, even those being careful can get it. (I know this because my wife and I both contracted it even when this virus was fairly new and we were being very careful). 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

150-160 players plus staff and trainers etc. already infected league wide this season. Take a breather bud. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, bad alice french said:

Hopefully the fact that so many players got it last year will minimize re infection due to antibodies/immunity. Wondering if new variants will play into this narrative.

Asymptomatic test results are questionable as well, especially in young professional athletes who probably aren't even experiencing symptoms.

From what I've read, antibodies from last year were gone within two or three months of the initial infection.  antibodies from vaccination last at least twice as long as they do from infection.  However, T-Cells from infection would remain.  Since everybody is double vaxxed, hopefully it's Delta, which is less contagious and better suppressed by vaccination than Omicron.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

One post later you'll see it's not just Vancouver. This is why waiting before overreacting is the best way to go.

They should cancel tonight's game for sure.  You need a few days to see who else comes back positive, if they play and then infect some Columbus players it quickly snowballs into massive numbers around the league.

We are feeling good about ourselves, it is a good mindset to give a little pause for 2-3 days to let the players get sorted and test negative... and to bring up a couple kids from the farm team to replace the positive tests.  The coaches can sit down and draw up a few things and give video for the guys to watch while they are holed up at home.

Almost like a mini training camp with the new staff where they can actually make some changes rather than doing everything on the fly.

• Cheers 1