The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dickinson - not a bashing thread

Rate this topic

Dazzle

3 hours ago, combover said:

Huh because this was the reports after he was acquired. 
couldn't find a single report that said they traded a 3rd round pick for a 4th line winger. 

With Vancouver, it is expected that Dickinson will be the Canucks third line centre and he will be responsible on the defensive side and help out on the penalty kill. While he does not provide a lot of offence, he does score goals every now and then.

(As per sports net) 

We think he’s a real good, third-line, matchup-type player,” Benning said. “We think he’s versatile. He can play centre, he can play the wing, he gives us speed and he’s a good penalty killer. And he’s 26 years old; he’s right in that window with the. . . rest of our group. And I think there’s still room for growth in his game offensively. We’re happy to get him.”

i guess that why some of us thought he was a third liner. 

he like the entire team has been better under BB. 
For me I’ll wait for a bit before I judge anyone since it seems they are all different players with a NHL coach.

Think i wasn't making myself clear enough.  Right from the start i said Dickinson would be an ideal fourth line player - Motte Sutter Dickinson, and never once bought into this narrative that he was going to be a 3rd line C for us....that's the false narrative i was referring too.   Sure we can hope he will all of a sudden go from 45%- over 50% in the dot ... he was 28% before the MTL-OTT games on the PK - simply put dreadful.   As a winger he's already proving he's got more value to us.    Don't know why JB and TG would think he'd replace even what Sutter had to offer...other then his age.   And keep referring to TB and Vegas as teams that pay to get a deep C position.   Why should we expect someone getting his wage - which i have zero issue with, to be a decent 3rd line C?    Let alone a good or elite one.    Those guys command 5 plus.    And are expected not to falter if the top two go down and need a replacement, like Miller, like Johnson, like Stastny.    Usually have had enough top six time as well to know what you have.   Dickinson is to me, a very good fourth line player who can sub up when needed.   Bottom six vet in his prime, that could fill in as needed with injuries.   More then depth.   Hartman isn't a bad comp.

Edit:  As far as 3rd rounders go - that's not a big price to pay for a 3rd line center is it?  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And Green lacked the intelligence and professionalism to tell him how to get to what he wanted.  Green had the same problem with Goldobin and Virtanen.  His only tool was taking away ice time when a player wasn't fitting into a system that clearly didn't work anyway.  It's hard to learn new skills when your head coach is a locker room cancer who is actively destroying your confidence.  No one should be expected to develop under that incompetent clown.

Dude, I get that you don't like Green, but I think you're wrong about him.  I think he is a very sharp guy and professional.  Unfortunately for him, he was asked to be the management face of the franchise because JB was not comfortable in front of a microphone, and that's a bad spot for any coach. The coach's job to build up the players, not impart uncomfortable truth about them to the media.  Travis obviously lost the room this year, but last year, in spite of everything heaped on the team by the league and COVID, the Canucks played their guts out for him down the stretch. I thought that was a hell of a coaching job.  I think if he'd gotten rid of Baumer in the offseason and let Shaw coach the defense, Green would still be employed.  The players didn't hate him, he had just run his course, like a lot of coaches do even great ones like AV. 

I will blame Travis for the loss of Gadg for nothing and OJ who I think could still have been a solid 2nd pairing LHD; but Lammikko has been okay pressed into 4C action and Juulsen looked decent for his first game with the club.  OJ had reportedly one of the worst cases of COVID on the team, which robs you of your wind.  The fact that he underperformed in a stupid bag skate was no reason to end up in Travis' dog house, and for that I blame the coach.

Your examples of Goldy and Jake are offset by the fact that Travis got the best from Petey, QH, Brock, Miller, Bo, Hogs, Motte etc. creating a Calder winner, two second place Calder vote getters, a solid Selke candidate and a Swiss Army Knife PPG player who had never been anything but a 3C in Tampa.  Travis' big problem is that his system did not evolve, it was easy for other teams to counter.  I think the staff's effort to clamp down defensively took all the offensive creativity out of a young team full of creativity.

Goldy's problem was between Goldy's ears.  Green gave him every opportunity to succeed, and he failed. He's a thick headed talented AHL caliber player, but when the coach wants you to play at both ends of the ice, it would behoove you to backcheck.  I liked Goldy, and cheered for him, but the truth is he's a point per game player in the AHL and in the KHL, which are about the same quality of competition.  You know who else was about a point per game player in those two leagues?  Linden Vey.  As for Jake, his problem was that he was too lazy and stupid to make it in the NHL.  Every so often he'd tantalize you with a strong dash to the net, or a thunderous hit, and you'd think, now that's the Jake they drafted.  I'm sure Travis tried to build on that success, but Jake would always fall back to his fly by, not-hit lazy self.  I see he's about a .5 PPG player in the KHL, which is not great for a kid who allegedly has his level of talent.  

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Are you serious? LOL. Gaudette was clearly miscast by Green.

Miscast as what?  What should he have been cast as, because he's certainly not a first or second line player.  The only game Gaudette has played for the lowly Ottawa Sens was the one against the Canucks where he was directly responsible for one Canuck goal, and on the ice for three goals total, half the goals the Canucks scored that night.  He played a whole eight games for the horrible Chicago Blackhawks before they waived him.  Gaudette's ONLY chance to extend his NHL career was to try to emulate Sutter, Motte, and Beagle because he's certainly no first or second line center, and that's what Travis was trying to do for him. 

Edited by canuckleheads fan

Yeah, Travis Green just ran out of time.  Would've won the Jack Adams trophy by the end of this season if Aquilini would've just given him that time.

When you flirt with a Bill Laforge type of season, you're not good imho. 

Just look at what Coach Bruce has done so far with the SAME roster.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

He is still has some of the best underlying numbers on the team 5v5.

He has been on the ice for the lowest amount of goals against on the team 5v5 for anyone that played over 10 minutes of even-strength and that has played 20 games or more. #1 on the team with only 7 goals against at even-strength in 28 games under the circumstances I stated(10 minutes even-strength at least and 20 games played minimum.

He's one of 10 players on the team with a positive 5v5 goal differential.

8th in on-ice team shooting percentage, 5th in on-ice team save percentage and 6th in on-ice team save + shooting percentage. Same company with guys like OEL, Garland, Hoglander and Pod all of which are some of our most consistent guys 5v5. He does this while starting most shifts in the defensive zone than most of those guys. 59.1% of started shifts(faceoff starts) in the D-zone.

PK play has been off as has the team's and yeah he has trouble scoring but he's been on the ice for more goals for than against 5v5.

Not too concerned at the moment.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Dickinson was miscast by Benning and Green and set up for a rough start here as a result. If there was one constant with the previous regime it was being completely unable to identify what they needed in a 3rd line center. Gaudette is another example of an almost comical level of ill fitted to that role despite being pushed into it for a long time. 

I think Dickinson will be fine. He is playing much better and is providing a physical element. He is getting his chances he just needs to get a lucky bounce. I have no issue with him right now as a support piece.

Gaudette was put on waivers by the second worst team in the conference. Perhaps he's simply ill fitted to the NHL and failed to embrace a role that could have ensured his career. When you're a mediocre to moderate producer you need more tools in the shed to stick around. Remember, Malhotra came into the league believing himself an offensive player and he wasn't particularly successful. But after words from his coach, "you can be an ok player with an ok career or you be very good at a role and have a long career", he embraced a defensive role. Which really extended his playing career.

With the Covid positive tests interested to see what the lineup will look like heading into the Shark tank.

Pearson-Miller-Boeser 

Motte-Horvat-Hoglander 

Podkolzin-Petersson-Garland 

DiGiuseepe-Dickinson-Chaisson 

OEL- Myers 

Hughes- Burroughs 

Bowey-Juulsen 

Forward looks ok but that d core yikes.

Expecting OEL,Myers, and Hughes to all log over 25 plus minutes.

Demko will have to stand on his head.

The forward group still looks fine though...

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Gaudette was put on waivers by the second worst team in the conference. Perhaps he's simply ill fitted to the NHL and failed to embrace a role that could have ensured his career. When you're a mediocre to moderate producer you need more tools in the shed to stick around. Remember, Malhotra came into the league believing himself an offensive player and he wasn't particularly successful. But after words from his coach, "you can be an ok player with an ok career or you be very good at a role and have a long career", he embraced a defensive role. Which really extended his playing career.

Player development is not linear though. And it’s not as simple as being exclusively up to the player to develop or not. Coaching is important. So is finding a role for players that fit their game. Gaudette embraced the role he was given. It just happened to be a role that accentuated his weaknesses and muted his strengths as a player. 

It’s kind of unfair to expect a 5th round pick to immediately completely change their game in a matter of a few years, especially playing for a bottom feeder that in general sucked defensively overall. The expectation to instantly become a defensively sound 3rd line center when that really wasn’t what got him drafted in the first place is incredibly short sighted in terms of development. 

I wonder what a guy like Gaudette would have become under a coach like Boudreau. Maybe he still would have struggled, who knows? But coaching and management tried to fit a square peg in a round hole and it certainly didn’t help the player or the team. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Player development is not linear though. And it’s not as simple as being exclusively up to the player to develop or not. Coaching is important. So is finding a role for players that fit their game. Gaudette embraced the role he was given. It just happened to be a role that accentuated his weaknesses and muted his strengths as a player. 

It’s kind of unfair to expect a 5th round pick to immediately completely change their game in a matter of a few years, especially playing for a bottom feeder that in general sucked defensively overall. The expectation to instantly become a defensively sound 3rd line center when that really wasn’t what got him drafted in the first place is incredibly short sighted in terms of development. 

I wonder what a guy like Gaudette would have become under a coach like Boudreau. Maybe he still would have struggled, who knows? But coaching and management tried to fit a square peg in a round hole and it certainly didn’t help the player or the team. 

Here's a far more obvious example, look at the play of Nate Schmidt before the Canucks, with the Canucks, and after the Canucks.

/case closed

• Cheers 2

One of Boudreau's first comments was to wonder why Dickenson wasn't doing better. While he coached Minny he said Dickenson was killing them in the Dallas games. Schmidt really bothers me too. That screams that Schmidt had a problem with coaching. Also that they would sign Chiasson instead of bringing Gadj along. Gadjovich is playing his 10-11 minutes a game and getting reps. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think Dickinson was miscast by Benning and Green and set up for a rough start here as a result. If there was one constant with the previous regime it was being completely unable to identify what they needed in a 3rd line center. Gaudette is another example of an almost comical level of ill fitted to that role despite being pushed into it for a long time. 

I think Dickinson will be fine. He is playing much better and is providing a physical element. He is getting his chances he just needs to get a lucky bounce. I have no issue with him right now as a support piece.

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Gaudette, at best, was fringe offensive player (winger).  Yet Green saw fit to completely try to force him into a defensive, shutdown 3C.  It would be like having Demko man the point on the power play.  Yeah, for Gaudette to have *any* kind of career at the NHL level, he has to better round out his game (as his offensive clearly isn't good enough on its own).  Problem is, you don't "learn on the job" at the NHL level (especially that tough role, 3C).  You do that at the AHL level.

Coach Bruce knows this.  Green is still 'learning on the job'.

Gaudette was another example of Jim listening to fans/media too much.

Or just trying to look like he was doing his job.

First there was the Age Gap

Maybe it existed maybe not, but Jim coined the phrase and then Jim filled the gap with Baertschi, Vey and Granlund

Those guys could have been picked off waivers, but Jim created the age gap and then filled with these guys.

then the fans said, "where is our youth?"

and Jim answered with Virtanen and McCann before they were ready

then it was Jim can scored picks in late rounds

Gaudette

to be fair, Gaudette played slightly better than Rathbone did in his first camp

HOw many time have we read on this board, "Jim will work his magic on draft day"?

I think Jim was trying to live up to his hype

Just now, lmm said:

Gaudette was another example of Jim listening to fans/media too much.

Or just trying to look like he was doing his job.

First there was the Age Gap

Maybe it existed maybe not, but Jim coined the phrase and then Jim filled the gap with Baertschi, Vey and Granlund

Those guys could have been picked off waivers, but Jim created the age gap and then filled with these guys.

then the fans said, "where is our youth?"

and Jim answered with Virtanen and McCann before they were ready

then it was Jim can scored picks in late rounds

Gaudette

to be fair, Gaudette played slightly better than Rathbone did in his first camp

HOw many time have we read on this board, "Jim will work his magic on draft day"?

I think Jim was trying to live up to his hype

oh wait, this is the Dicky thread

I think Dick will be fine, eventually he will score to his mean

I just hope he keeps playing solid and doesn't get hurt hitting somebody

And ya, he is a better winger

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That's a two way street. If a player can't adapt to the role available, and isn't a better option to those ahead of him, he simply becomes expendable. But again, unless you're so good that your deficiencies can be overlooked, you had best improve in other areas to secure a role. Many prospects come into the league with the "I'm an offensive player" idea but simply are not good enough to ignore the need of the defensive side. Many resist that change, while others simply don't have the smarts/ability. You earn what you get. Gauds didn't set the league on fire like Petey did. It was up to him to learn and improve in other areas to secure a role. He has the size and skating ability to take on the defensive side. Some just don't have the drive or smarts, while others simply don't have the ability.

As I said, if your are a mediocre to moderate producer you better have more tools in the shed than just "I'm an offensive player". 

Edited by Baggins
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Baggins said:

That's a two way street. If a player can't adapt to the role available, and isn't a better option to those ahead of him, he simply becomes expendable. But again, unless you're so good that your deficiencies can be overlooked, you had best improve in other areas to secure a role. Many prospects come into the league with the "I'm an offensive player" idea but simply are not good enough to ignore the need of the defensive side. Many resist that change, while others simply don't have the smarts/ability. You earn what you get. Gauds didn't set the league on fire like Petey did. It was up to him to learn and improve in other areas to secure a role. He has the size and skating ability to take on the defensive side. Some just don't have the drive or smarts, while others simply don't have the ability.

As I said, if your are a mediocre to moderate producer you better have more tools in the shed than just "I'm an offensive player". 

A 5th overall pick vs a 5th round pick. Might be a bit of an unfair comparison in terms of what their immediate impact should be. 

With all due respect, Gaudette is just one example of many who really didn’t earn what they got under Green (and Willie D before him). 

When your team is so bad offensively and with injuries that you are using Jimmy Vesey and Travis Boyd in your top 6 there isn’t a lot of risk throwing Gaudette in there to take advantage of his offensive ability. It did not happen even one game though. They kept trying to turn him into something he clearly wasn’t. And likely destroyed his development in the process. 

Green himself came into the nhl as a lazy and self entitled offense only player. He was broken of it and his mentality around young players is you have to completely tear them down and rebuild them into what you want. As opposed to a guy like Boudreau who seems to think you use them to their strengths and limit the impact of their weaknesses. It’s why one is now unemployed and the team he had looks night and day better. 

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, IBatch said:

Think i wasn't making myself clear enough.  Right from the start i said Dickinson would be an ideal fourth line player - Motte Sutter Dickinson, and never once bought into this narrative that he was going to be a 3rd line C for us....that's the false narrative i was referring too.   Sure we can hope he will all of a sudden go from 45%- over 50% in the dot ... he was 28% before the MTL-OTT games on the PK - simply put dreadful.   As a winger he's already proving he's got more value to us.    Don't know why JB and TG would think he'd replace even what Sutter had to offer...other then his age.   And keep referring to TB and Vegas as teams that pay to get a deep C position.   Why should we expect someone getting his wage - which i have zero issue with, to be a decent 3rd line C?    Let alone a good or elite one.    Those guys command 5 plus.    And are expected not to falter if the top two go down and need a replacement, like Miller, like Johnson, like Stastny.    Usually have had enough top six time as well to know what you have.   Dickinson is to me, a very good fourth line player who can sub up when needed.   Bottom six vet in his prime, that could fill in as needed with injuries.   More then depth.   Hartman isn't a bad comp.

Edit:  As far as 3rd rounders go - that's not a big price to pay for a 3rd line center is it?  

But it is for a 4th line winger.
you call him a 4th winger then justify the trade by saying hes a third line Center?

he seemed to fit the bill, wasn’t he a third line Center for Dallas. 
i honestly didn’t know much about him other than stats and what Jb green and other reported. 
Which is he was in FACT brought in for a third line Center role as stated by Jb. So No false narrative JB said it word for word. The only narrative is the one your creating. 

he hasn’t looked good to this point at that position but the entire team was floundering. Hes been playing a lot better since the coaching/management  changes.
Still Hopefully Bruce can get him back to how he was playing  in Dallas doing the the things that made him successful. 

Really it seems to be a common theme with Green he had players stop doing what made them successful and its showing more and more with every game. 
Bruce seems to coach to players strengths put players in a position to succeed. 

16 hours ago, Baggins said:

In what world was Gaudette not as good as Jimmy Vesey and Travis Boyd though? 

Right from the start it was obvious Gaudette should have been a 3rd line winger if anything, not a center.

1 hour ago, combover said:

But it is for a 4th line winger.
you call him a 4th winger then justify the trade by saying hes a third line Center?

he seemed to fit the bill, wasn’t he a third line Center for Dallas. 
i honestly didn’t know much about him other than stats and what Jb green and other reported. 
Which is he was in FACT brought in for a third line Center role as stated by Jb. So No false narrative JB said it word for word. The only narrative is the one your creating. 

he hasn’t looked good to this point at that position but the entire team was floundering. Hes been playing a lot better since the coaching/management  changes.
Still Hopefully Bruce can get him back to how he was playing  in Dallas doing the the things that made him successful. 

Really it seems to be a common theme with Green he had players stop doing what made them successful and its showing more and more with every game. 
Bruce seems to coach to players strengths put players in a position to succeed. 

No it's not.   12.5% of third rounders...play 100 NHL games.   That's it.  

Edit:  Dickinson was relied on heavily in Dallas to play as a defensive forward both positions (C/RW).   16-17 minutes is absolutely a middle six guy, Dallas used him like we did Sutter - but he's not great or decent or good at face offs.    I have zero issue paying a veteran his age what he makes to anchor the fourth line.   That would mean our third line is pretty darn good.   And never considered him a top six player even though his minutes suggest without more research that's what he is.   To me he's an Roussel replacement nothing more, but plays a different game too.    And like i've been trying to demonstrate, elite center depth includes a guy who gets paid a hell of a lot more then he does.    To me he's a useful player.   That one a good team would help a good fourth line and move up as needed. The fact (so does Motte does he not?) also plays center is just a bonus for injuries.   Motte Sutter Dickinson is a very good fourth line, and isn't a cap drain one bit. 

Edit:  Lol i get what your saying on the false narrative - to me the false narrative is one and the same - he's not a 3rd line C.   Didn't think he was at all when he came in either.   Why the heck would he be when we have Miller, Horvat and EP ahead of him?  Sure TG played two together.   Maybe they thought he'd replace Sutter and they could continue with their square pegs in round holes thing.   I wanted Dickinson ideally, with a healthy line-up always on the fourth line playing 10 minutes a game.    That's it.   The false narrative to me the exact same thing.   And i'm a fan of Dickinson so glad we have him.   Maybe he does have "untapped offense" or something who knows he's at the right age.    But noticed him in Dallas ... the same way i noticed Hartman in MIN, Soucy for that matter.   He's not a daffodil.

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

In what world was Gaudette not as good as Jimmy Vesey and Travis Boyd though? 

Right from the start it was obvious Gaudette should have been a 3rd line winger if anything, not a center.

So which are you arguing - Gaudette should have been in a top 6 offensive role or he should have been in the third line role he was put in? :lol:

The one thing that could be said about Vesey and Boyd is they were both more responsible both directions.

Gaudette Faceoffs 

17/18 Guads was 15th in faceoffs taken. A whopping 16 for the season

18/19 5th in faceoffs taken - primarily because Sutter missed 56 games and Beagle 25.

19/20 4th in faceoffs taken - Again Sutter & Beagle missed significant games and no center played 70 games

20/21 7th in faceoffs taken - Only two C's played over 50 games. Pettersson and Beagle missed a significant number.

Gaud's was played at wing more than center other than when injuries forced it. And he certainly wasn't rushed into it.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Dude, I get that you don't like Green, but I think you're wrong about him.  I think he is a very sharp guy and professional.  Unfortunately for him, he was asked to be the management face of the franchise because JB was not comfortable in front of a microphone, and that's a bad spot for any coach. The coach's job to build up the players, not impart uncomfortable truth about them to the media.  Travis obviously lost the room this year, but last year, in spite of everything heaped on the team by the league and COVID, the Canucks played their guts out for him down the stretch. I thought that was a hell of a coaching job.  I think if he'd gotten rid of Baumer in the offseason and let Shaw coach the defense, Green would still be employed.  The players didn't hate him, he had just run his course, like a lot of coaches do even great ones like AV. 

I will blame Travis for the loss of Gadg for nothing and OJ who I think could still have been a solid 2nd pairing LHD; but Lammikko has been okay pressed into 4C action and Juulsen looked decent for his first game with the club.  OJ had reportedly one of the worst cases of COVID on the team, which robs you of your wind.  The fact that he underperformed in a stupid bag skate was no reason to end up in Travis' dog house, and for that I blame the coach.

Your examples of Goldy and Jake are offset by the fact that Travis got the best from Petey, QH, Brock, Miller, Bo, Hogs, Motte etc. creating a Calder winner, two second place Calder vote getters, a solid Selke candidate and a Swiss Army Knife PPG player who had never been anything but a 3C in Tampa.  Travis' big problem is that his system did not evolve, it was easy for other teams to counter.  I think the staff's effort to clamp down defensively took all the offensive creativity out of a young team full of creativity.

Goldy's problem was between Goldy's ears.  Green gave him every opportunity to succeed, and he failed. He's a thick headed talented AHL caliber player, but when the coach wants you to play at both ends of the ice, it would behoove you to backcheck.  I liked Goldy, and cheered for him, but the truth is he's a point per game player in the AHL and in the KHL, which are about the same quality of competition.  You know who else was about a point per game player in those two leagues?  Linden Vey.  As for Jake, his problem was that he was too lazy and stupid to make it in the NHL.  Every so often he'd tantalize you with a strong dash to the net, or a thunderous hit, and you'd think, now that's the Jake they drafted.  I'm sure Travis tried to build on that success, but Jake would always fall back to his fly by, not-hit lazy self.  I see he's about a .5 PPG player in the KHL, which is not great for a kid who allegedly has his level of talent.  

The role of a coach is to be sharp and professional. Green has lost the room for quite a while, but it was so obvious this year that it doesn't deserve any more mentions. Green has NEVER been a good coach (one that has more wins than losses), even in the AHL. So much of the burden has been put on Benning for not icing good rosters, yet Green has clearly not demonstrated that he is really a coach that can elevate his team. Few coaches get as many chances as he has done. This year, he's had the BEST roster he's ever had (even better than what WD did), and we see Green's team fall flat on his face.

I don't understand why there's so many defenders of Green. He's had FIVE seasons. People are so quick to point out that Benning has had eight seasons, but for some reason, there is a double standard set for Green. Green is a bad coach, plain and simple. He's failed to adapt to the different rosters he's been given, and it's not like he's never been given input over his rosters. We've seen several of his pet projects come in and go, with almost little to no success. Baertschi is an exception rather than a rule. No matter what people say about him, he was a really good player under Green, but few have matched that level of success.

Just like WD, Green had some success, but we can see how ineffective his coaching is THIS YEAR. Even with so many pieces in, Green has failed to capitalize on the offensive capabilities of the team. That is on Green, and not on anyone else.