The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Derek Clancey as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Heard that JR wants to bring on 3 AGM’s. Is that for real?? 

I’d be curious as to who the GM is going to be. I hope it’s not Botterill. He didn’t have a good run at Buffalo…

Ditto, if Botterill gets in - yikes.  He left Buffalo, in a mess and they are still a mess - even with alot of top 3 picks.  Hope the next hirings, will be executives that, doesn't have close ties to JR or executives from other organizations. 

Screenshot_20211216-015528_Firefox.jpg

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto, if Botterill gets in - yikes.  He left Buffalo, in a mess and they are still a mess - even with alot of top 3 picks.  Hope the next hirings, will be executives that, doesn't have close ties to JR or executives from other organizations. 

I don't think it's Botterill, but you never know. I'd rather have JR be the GM than Botterill. He just doesn't strike me as an "up-and-comer" GM...

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't think it's Botterill, but you never know. I'd rather have JR be the GM than Botterill. He just doesn't strike me as an "up-and-comer" GM...

Just like Green - both there overall record should be enough proof, that they are, at best suited for positions where they are NOT required, to make the final decisions.  I really hope, the next hirings, will be executives that does not close ties to JR.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

2019 draft: 

1 #21 3.png Samuel Poulin (F)            
3 #74 3.png Nathan Légaré (F)            
5 #145 6.png Judd Caulfield (F)            
7 #203 2.png Valtteri Puustinen (F)            
7 #211 2.png Santeri Airola (D)

2018 draft: 

2 #53 3.png Calen Addison (D)            
2 #58 1.png Filip Hållander (F)            
5 #129 3.png Justin Almeida (F)            
6 #177 6.png Liam Gorman (F)

2017 draft: 

2 #51 3.png Zachary Lauzon (D)            
3 #93 6.png Clayton Phillips (D)            
5 #152 28.png Jan Drozg (F)            
5 #155 1.png Linus Ölund (F)            
6 #186 2.png Antti Palojärvi (D)            
7 #217 3.png Will Reilly (D)

2016 draft: 

2 #55 1.png Filip Gustavsson (G)            
2 #61 2.png Kasper Björkqvist (F)            
3 #77 3.png Connor Hall (D)            
4 #121 6.png Ryan Jones (D)            
5 #151 2.png Niclas Almari (D)            
6 #181 6.png Joe Masonius (D)

2015 draft: 

2 #46 32.png Daniel Sprong (F)            
5 #137 8.png Dominik Simon (F)            
6 #167 21.png Frederik Tiffels (F)            
7 #197 9.png Nikita Pavlychev (F)

2014 draft: 

1 #22 2.png Kasperi Kapanen (F)            
4 #113 6.png Sam Lafferty (F)            
5 #145 6.png Anthony Angello (F)            
6 #173 3.png Jaden Lindo (F)            
7 #203 6.png Jeff Taylor (D)

2013 draft: 

2 #44 3.png Tristan Jarry (G)            
3 #77 6.png Jake Guentzel (F)            
4 #119 6.png Ryan Segalla (D)            
6 #164 3.png Dane Birks (D)            
6 #179 3.png Blaine Byron (F)            
7 #209 3.png Troy Josephs (F)

2012 draft: 

1 #8 3.png Derrick Pouliot (D)            
1 #22 2.png Olli Määttä (D)            
2 #52 11.png Teodors Blugers (F)            
3 #81 1.png Oskar Sundqvist (F)            
3 #83 3.png Matt Murray (G)            
4 #92 3.png Matia Marcantuoni (F)            
4 #113 3.png Sean Maguire (G)            
5 #143 3.png Clark Seymour (D)            
6 #173 9.png Anton Zlobin (F)

There you have it, the last *8 drafts by the Penguins.  Judge for yourselves. 

*edit: 8 drafts, not 10 because the last two drafts are way too early to judge. None of the last two drafts have produced an NHL game yet. 

as has been pointed out repeatedly, the draft is handled by the amateur scouts, not pro. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

So he's the new Judd Bracket for amateur scouting and will also oversee pro scouting. ??

So pretty much he's JRs point man on making trades and drafting...

Very important part of the team .. as important as it gets when you think about it. 

This guy will be front and center in all trades we make.. Clancey's stamp will be on all player movement for Canucks moving forward.. 

Key is "pro and amateur STAFF". 

I.e he will manage the scouts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Not sure if it was on local radio sn650 or some other broadcast,  but guys were talking about how it was the Benning and Wisebroad show..  that those two made all the decisions,  ran the ship and everyone else was pretty much out of the loop...

With JR it will be very different imo..

This is a good setup and I would do the same thing if I was Aqua. 

Just wondering, who is the source of the rumour cause I heard the samething, as well ?

4 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Charge your phone, dude.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm a little confused as to why people keep bringing up the Penguins draft record when it seems Clancey worked pretty much exclusively in pro scouting.

Because Canucks fans.

3 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just wondering, who is the source of the rumour cause I heard the samething, as well ?

I think it was Corey Hirsch on the Donnie and Dhali show, but I could be mistaken. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, FaninMex said:

You should know better than quoting those trolls. They are on the same level of Eklund.

Well normally I’d agree with you there, which is why I never quoted it before this, however we just hired another former Penguin staffer did we not?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. ::D

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hopefully the new guy dumps Delorme.  

I mean if they’ve gone this far restructuring might as well go the whole way.

I would imagine the new GM has a strong scouting background. Rutherford, Clancey and the new GM will likely look at rebuilding the scouting department. We’ve had some good success there but also some big blunders.

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya the worst mistake of Bennings tenure as GM here was to have Wisebroad as his sidekick. 

They are both cut from the same cloth. Both meat and potatoes guys..

Benning needed a guy opposite of his own capabilities.. Benning needed a younger, smart, executive type..  a guy highly qualified  and trained in business side of things.. 

No need for a carbon copy of your self. Need someone to compliment you and bring skills you don't have to achieve your goals..  

JR is doing exactly what should be done. He knows what he's doing. 

Hit the nail on the head. 
Otherwise it’s just an echo chamber. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Who cares if we knew who he was, we have hard proof: ie. names that we can look at.  

They better not copy Pittsburgh's drafting here.  Not sure why Clancey's title includes amateur scouting then with us now. 

You have hard proof of nothing as you have no idea how much input he actually had on who they selected.

The days of amateur hour in the front office are over. I know we are used to a front office where Benning and Weisbrod micromanaged every department to the nth degree but well structured front offices don’t do that. They put people in roles and let them do their jobs.

Overseeing amateur scouting doesn’t mean doing the scouting yourself (unless you are Weisbrod). It means organizing the scouting department to effectively do their jobs for max benefit to the organization.

We have nothing to worry about. We will get to see what a proper front office structure can do.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, khay said:

Interim GM still needs someone to help him make assessments about the team. When poaching another team's employee, you have to make it worth it and offering him an interim AGM position, if such position even makes sense, won't do.

You want to get good people in the organization in every position.

Rutherford is setting up a organizational hierarchy and trying to put good people in the right places where each person is responsible for specific areas of the hockey operations. As I see it, we were missing quite a few AGM level positions.

1. Pro-scouting

2. Amateur scouting

3. Data analytics

4. Contracts and cap management.

There may be more but that's the list that I can think of at the top of my head.

Among the positions, item 1 is of utmost urgency as Rutherford needs to make accurate assessment of the team in preparation for TDL, be it as a buyer or seller. Rutherford did promise the end of January as the time frame.

Item 2 is still very much intact, after all, the scouts are working whether there is a GM change, or AGM change or whatnot.

Item 3 is important but not essential to making the assessments and day-to-day hockey operations.

Item 4 is can wait a bit as the off season is still ways away and we don't have any major UFA coming up.

So Rutherford filled out the position that urgently needed to be filled.

And, you have to understand that the new GM coming in isn't going to be calling all the shots.

The new GM will come in and do the everyday grind that is required of the GM at the advice of his AGMs and report to POHO. 

And we may hire even more AGMs before a new GM comes in. For example, if anyone like Eric Tulsky with Canes becomes available, we should hire that guy to be an AGM in charge of data analytics to fill item 3 above.

Now, if the best candidate for the GM position will only be available at the end of the season, then we can't wait to fill the other vacant positions, like item 2 and 4 above. So Rutherford may go ahead and fill those positions as well. The new GM will come in and instead of forming his own faction and brining in new people, he should work with the existing good people that were hired before him. If he can't, then he is not a good candidate. 

Of course, the new GM may want to hire his own AGM once he starts working as he may identify areas where we are missing personnel. And such hiring should be carried out with the POHO as well as other AGMs involved in the process to 1) make sure that such position is needed (maybe existing AGM can tackle on the additional work) and 2) find the best possible candidate that will work well with people that are already in place.

Letting a GM come in and hire all the AGMs so that he can call all the shots isn't a good idea as we saw what happened at the end of Benning's tenure with Weisbrod.

I'm pretty sure I saw an article with Rutherford stating 3 (I thought) and 4 were actually more important and they (4 anyway) are covered already. He said 4 was the most important for maintaining the automatic tools they use in conjunction with the league to make sure the teams are cap compliant everyday and player movement is possible. I would think a GM would be filled sooner than later so the job can get under way. Waiting until the off-season leaves all sorts of possible pitfalls and scrutiny for JR.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got Zucker and Pettersson from PIT..

There will be trades.  There will be player movement.. going to be fun seeing who goes and who comes back.  

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

JR is the boss.  GM and AGMs will all answer to JR. 

JR is 72  years old. Maybe 73.. he will have a GM to mentor and guide. The GM will be guided by JR. 

AGM won't be answering to GM. Both of them will be answering to JR..

Petterson would be a great add. Very steady. JR will be looking to pass his legacy on. It will be a very serious piece of business for him I would think and they would work hand in hand until JR is confident to hand over the reigns.

• Upvote 1