The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Derek Clancey as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just gonna trust Jimmy on this one.

Mostly a pro scout and became a trusted advisor on transactions and signings under JR in PITS. 

We needed help in the pro-scouting department so I like this. 

JR got the guy he wanted. 

Edited by Outsiders

25 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

He said in his pressor that he was hiring an assistant he can trust. It’s only official now.

Yeah, I heard about it then. I suppose Rutherford is sort of the GM for now and he'll take on that role.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I heard about it then. I suppose Rutherford is sort of the GM for now and he'll take on that role.

Yup. I think just surrounding himself with good people until the find the right GM. I like the approach as they are trying to hire the most important person in the organization. It’s gotta be done right 

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Dude was a life-long Pens guys even before Rutherford.

Began as a pro scout for the Pens from 2007-2010.

He was Director of Scouting with the Pens from 2010-2019.

He was Director of Player Personnel for the Pens from 2019-2021.

Pretty decent credentials for entry into an AGM role. Was with the Pens during their last 3 cups in some capacity.

So he would have been heavily involved in scouting Rust, Bluger, Maatta, Jarry, Kapanen, Guentzel... 

https://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of weird to have an assistant GM before a GM, haha.

18 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Since JR is the interim GM, he needs people he can trust and work with. Going with someone he knows already helps. 

What this says to me is JR wants to hire a GM in the summer (possibly some one currently employed) but needs some help doing day to day stuff in the mean time

Clancy will probably be the guy sending players to /from Abby etc

but Jim will make trades and other major decisions 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Really like the pro scouting background.  From what I understand, Rutherford would like a GM and then 3 A/GMs below the GM. 

President - Rutherford

GM - ?

A/GM - Clancey

A/GM - ?

A/GM - ?

Smyl is a Special Advisor and Johnson is the GM of Abbotsford

Derek Clancey was presumably a part of many of the trades involving pro players that the Penguins made during Rutherford's tenure.  I presume that doesn't include Marino since I'm pretty sure he was still in College when they acquired him.

A bit of a mixed bag of trades: 

• Zucker hasn't really panned out nor did Galchenyuk (who was part of their package to acquire Zucker), although Zucker is still a decent top-9 forward (but overpaid). 
  • Rodrigues was a decent pick up although they did trade him to TOR in the Kapanen trade before re-signing him. 
  • Pettersson and Matheson (notwithstanding how much Canucks fans might hate him) were decent acquisitions though. 

There many more trades but those are the only guys who are still with the team.  Many other players were acquired and then let go.

It will be interesting to see if the Canucks will be as active in the trade market.  Rutherford's group made a few large deals but also many smaller ones so we could see a fair bit movement in the supporting players (including in Abbotsford) if the Rutherford's (and now Clancey's) history with the Penguins provide any indication of what we could expect.

• Upvote 1