The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Derek Clancey as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Kind of weird to have an assistant GM before a GM, haha.

In this case, it looks like "Assistant GM" is not the same as "assistant to the GM".

GM is a job position reporting to the President.

Assistant GM is another job position reporting to the President.

Both positions serve different functions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Welcome, what does his resume have on it for us to be excited about? Found some gems scouting as FA's or mid to late round picks?

He's really a scout that is looking to transition into the GM. He's responsible for the horrific draft list for the last 6 years.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html

• Wat 2
  • RoughGame 1

21 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

On pace to sign malkin as a "vet" to help us get over the top next year?:ph34r:

Malkin is a UFA at the end of this season. I'd be pretty thrilled if they signed him to a short term deal.

Malkin

Pettersson

Horvat

25 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

It will be interesting to see if the Canucks will be as active in the trade market. 

Rutherford said there was a lot of work to do, and I think he'll be pretty active from now until the TDL.  Some players I can see leaving are: Pearson, Hoglander, Poolman, and maybe even a Top 6 player.  Be great if he could snag another (2022) 1st rounder.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, AriGold said:

He's really a scout that is looking to transition into the GM. He's responsible for the horrific draft list for the last 6 years.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html

I thought he was more heavily having a pro scouting background rather than an amateur. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Malkin is a UFA at the end of this season. I'd be pretty thrilled if they signed him to a short term deal.

Malkin

Pettersson

Horvat

Rutherford said there was a lot of work to do, and I think he'll be pretty active from now until the TDL.  Some players I can see leaving are: Pearson, Hoglander, Poolman, and maybe even a Top 6 player.  Be great if he could snag another (2022) 1st rounder.

If there is even a sliver of hope to do so, Man... even a injury prone old malkin-podz combo.. Could do wonders for him. I would find a way to make it work

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

If there is even a sliver of hope to do so, Man... even a injury prone old malkin-podz combo.. Could do wonders for him. I would find a way to make it work

I hadn't considered the Podkolzin affect, that would be amazing for him, to learn from and play with a Russian legend

• Like 2

I swear the pens are always that one team that just gets destroyed by injuries to all top players, Yet their play doesn't change and they keep getting points ( good pro scouting? )

I know i'm not going to sit here and pretend i know more than JR, So i'm guessing this is a quality signing. Yay changes!

Edited by Mustard Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1