The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Acquire Jason Zucker?

Jason Zucker is turning 30 next month and is signed till the end of 2023 with a 5.5m cap hit. He had some good seasons under our New coach Boudreau back in Minnesota. He does have a 10 team NTC, but also has familiarity with BOTH Rutherford AND Boudreau.

I am not saying the Canucks should actively try and get Zucker, but I remember him back in Minnesota when he did score over 30g while being coached by Boureau. We would have to send some cap back...dare I say Myers if we got back Marino as well  in the deal that would include another Canuck. I know Myers has been doing well since Boudreau became coach.

Zucker playing under BOTH the new President/interim GM and our New Coach makes me wonder if he might be a player we consider trading for, I know his age is not ideal but only 1 more year after this and could be a tradeable player next TDL if we retain salary and he is producing well for us??

Thanks for your hockey input in advance!!

Discuss...

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 3

No thanks.  It's not a fit at this time, whether in terms of roster construction fit/ cap situation/ addressing needs/ team chemistry.

1) he's another below-6-foot tall skilled forward with energy plus he's a winger, the depth of which we have plenty (Garland, Podz, Hoglander, Boeser);
2) he's signed for $5.5 million * 2 years, so acquiring him means we get priced out for re-signing Bo or Miller (plus whatever Boeser asks for);
3) to add on to #2, if we want to re-sign all 3 of them (Zucker, Miller, Horvat) we'll need to move out big salary elsewhere (when our back end needs help and OEL/ Myers/ Hughes are all performing well, teams build around center so we should prioritize Bo/ J.T. and Demko's $5 million isn't going anywhere);
4) he's also slumping scoring-wise, so why not let the current pairings (Pearson - Boeser, Garland - Podkolzin, Dickinson - Hoglander) develop further chemistry? 

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

No interest in giving up assets for Zucker right now.  If the deal was something like Pearson for Zucker then maybe some interest, but again that cap hit sucks even if there is one year less on that contract.

Zucker's still a good skater and might still be able to contribute as a top-9 player but he seems to have declined and is not worth his current $5.5M AAV.  If Zucker's available as a free agent for a reasonable cap hit, then maybe, but that depends on the overall make up of the Canucks' roster.

I would be more curious at the acquisition costs of younger players from teams that may either be in the market to add for a cup run or revamp their teams like:

Sam Steel (ANA), Tyson Jost (COL), Alex Newhook (COL), Justin Barron (COL), Kristian Vesalainen (WPG), Ryan Suzuki (CAR), Braden Schneider (NYR), Vitali Kravtsov (NYR - possible pipe dream)

especially if the Canucks end up moving some significant pieces (e.g. Miller) but also depending on what roles management identifies as areas to focus for upgrade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Jason Zucker is turning 30 next month and is signed till the end of 2023 with a 5.5m cap hit. He had some good seasons under our New coach Boudreau back in Minnesota. He does have a 10 team NTC, but also has familiarity with BOTH Rutherford AND Boudreau.

I am not saying the Canucks should actively try and get Zucker, but I remember him back in Minnesota when he did score over 30g while being coached by Boureau. We would have to send some cap back...dare I say Myers if we got back Marino as well  in the deal that would include another Canuck. I know Myers has been doing well since Boudreau became coach.

Zucker playing under BOTH the new President/interim GM and our New Coach makes me wonder if he might be a player we consider trading for, I know his age is not ideal but only 1 more year after this and could be a tradeable player next TDL if we retain salary and he is producing well for us??

Thanks for your hockey input in advance!!

Discuss...

Need RD at 5.5 million before another forward...Big no to Zucker....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

&^@# man, it was just to discuss a player who had ties to the new coach and Prez...yet I get blasted for bring that up, this is a hockey forum to discuss not Piss on a genuine hockey topic. 

Oh well, its CDC time  to just read and reply Fukc making proposals or anything. Read what I want and likely reduce my replies to next to nothing. Someone else saying this forum is like family/friendships to them...I don't get that vibe at all!