The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Guillaume Brisebois

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Blows brahs breeze bwoah 

This guy has never shown that he is NHL caliber.

This should have been Jack Rathbone's time to shine.

What a missed opportunity to get hurt at a time when the organization is in  desperation for a left hand shot d man.

Rathbone has shown that he's not quite ready for the NHL, at least from the defensive side of things. Whether that was Baumer's fault or not, it is not clear.

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Blows brahs breeze bwoah 

This guy has never shown that he is NHL caliber.

This should have been Jack Rathbone's time to shine.

What a missed opportunity to get hurt at a time when the organization is in  desperation for a left hand shot d man.

Pretty sure Rathbone is still not healthy even though he is travelling with the Abby Canucks.  He would presumably have been the call-up if he was healthy, even though I think Brisebois deserves this call up.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Rathbone has shown that he's not quite ready for the NHL, at least from the defensive side of things. Whether that was Baumer's fault or not, it is not clear.

I do think he's at least worth a shot; I don't think it's fair to judge anyone based on their play under that incompetent clown.  We really don't know what we have thanks to Baumgartner sabotaging the defence.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

For the longest time, Brisebois has seemed like one of those guys who could probably be a depth D in the NHL but never really stood out and also never really got a chance to test the waters in the NHL.  While I get the desire to sign reliable veterans even for depth, it also makes sense to me to give young prospects a chance to test their mettle in the NHL.  In the few games Brisebois played, he didn't seem out of place even if it was only in limited minutes. 

For those who have watched Brisebois more closely, what are the most significant drawbacks to his game that would keep him out of the NHL?  Based on what I have seen, nothing really stands out about Brisebois so I can see why it might have been hard for him to catch the coaches eye, but he has pretty much been a reliable, steady defensive D every year he has played in the minors.

I'm not advocating for Brisebois to be a regular but with all the injury trouble the Canucks have had over the years, especially on D, it was always a little surprising that Brisebois got very little opportunity.  It's not terribly unusual in the NHL by any means, but the Canucks are going to need to give their young players a chance to contribute even in depth roles, especially as more of their cap space is taken up by their young core. 

Like Chatfied he was never good enough for Canucks under Green and Baumgartner?? Chatfied played 7 games already for Hurricanes..

I really like Brisebois 24. 6'1 hope he has a great game...

I like Juulsen's game, hard on the puck and made some big hits...Good size 6'2, 205, 24 age, local guy...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Like Chatfied he was never good enough for Canucks under Green and Baumgartner?? Chatfied played 7 games already for Hurricanes..

I really like Brisebois 24. 6'1 hope he has a great game...

I like Juulsen's game, hard on the puck and made some big hits...Good size 6'2, 205, 24 age, local guy...

Chatfield was a complete disaster here.  He had a stretch of 10 to 14 games where he played some of the most brutal hockey i have ever seen a player play.  

Only a matter of time b4 the canes let him go too.

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Chatfield was a complete disaster here.  He had a stretch of 10 to 14 games where he played some of the most brutal hockey i have ever seen a player play.  

Only a matter of time b4 the canes let him go too.

His coverage against the Canucks was horrific. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I do think he's at least worth a shot; I don't think it's fair to judge anyone based on their play under that incompetent clown.  We really don't know what we have thanks to Baumgartner sabotaging the defence.

We cant have hughes and rathbone in the lineup together and expect to win.  Rathbone is way too easy to play against and fundamentally lacking the ability to defend the way we need our dmen to.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Pretty sure Rathbone is still not healthy even though he is travelling with the Abby Canucks.  He would presumably have been the call-up if he was healthy, even though I think Brisebois deserves this call up.

Rather have breeze.  We need dmen that can actually defend.  Oel, myers and Hughes provide enough offense from the backend

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

We cant have hughes and rathbone in the lineup together and expect to win.  Rathbone is way too easy to play against and fundamentally lacking the ability to defend the way we need our dmen to.

We haven't seen Rathbone play in his own zone under an actual NHL coach though.  Larry Robinson would struggle in his own zone when saddled with the handicap of Nolan Baumgartner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Rather have breeze.  We need dmen that can actually defend.  Oel, myers and Hughes provide enough offense from the backend

Myers has started jumping in the play more but need him and OEL more for shutdown duty vs the other team's big guns.

Still think there is a spot for J Bone when he gets fully healthy. 

You don't need to worry about defending when you have the puck and can move it yourself by skating it or passing it.

Boudreau's best defence is a good offensive system where the d quick up pucks to the forwards so they don't get trapped as often defending their whole shifts in the d zone.