The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Stan Smyl as vice president of hockey operations

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is a fantastic move from Rutherford. Well deserved and it’s nice to see Stan get his due finally to not just be in an advisor role.

Rutherford is going to build that front office the right way. 

I have a feeling Rutherford was concerned that Canucks fans would squak if he got too Pittsburghcentric with his hires, so he throws a bone to Steamer, includes the Twins and Johnson in the leadership group, but I have a feeling the real power relationship will be between JR and his GM, who of course will be a Penguin's alum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I have a feeling Rutherford was concerned that Canucks fans would squak if he got too Pittsburghcentric with his hires, so he throws a bone to Steamer, includes the Twins and Johnson in the leadership group, but I have a feeling the real power relationship will be between JR and his GM, who of course will be a Penguin's alum.

And you know this how?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Nah. JR is known for being collaborative, and he's said as much that that's what he's building here. Of went full Pittsburgh then he wouldn't last here very long. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

Nah. JR is known for being collaborative, and he's said as much that that's what he's building here. Of went full Pittsburgh then he wouldn't last here very long. 

JR is putting his trusted people in positions of power in the organization, and the only GM candidates being talked about are current or former Penguin's execs, so you do the math.  Like everybody, Rutherford has a comfort level with people he's been through the wars with, and wants them in positions of power.  However, he's taking over a franchise with long-term and well-liked people in top positions, and so he'll give them titles with little power, and hold the power close to those he trusts.  It's a basic management style that I've seen plenty in my life. 

love this move, absolutely brilliant. additionally, confirming that rj is still a key piece is huge as well (it was kind of implied with the twins). I wouldn't be surprised to see him made one of the 3 agm's, responsible for player development, perhaps with the last agm overseeing analytics and money matters?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Anybody still upset at how poor Stan was 'treated'?

Congrats Stan, looks good on ya ;)

Only reason he was set as Interim, was because JR was sick and not able to immediately accept the position.

Pretty sure that the understanding was, that the position shouldn't be left without someone taking calls. Would be shocked if he wasn't in on the discussion.