The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Stan Smyl as vice president of hockey operations

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Going from hockey ops of 2 to a POHO, VPHO, GM and 3 AGMs as the identified desired setup. 
Big step up in hockey Ops. 
I have decidedly mixed feelings about Benning but he must have worked like a dog. 

I fully agree with your comments,  Benning took on to much..  

But we’ve turned a corner with him..

JB did well here.

it’s too bad Jim didn’t see he needed someone to support him as straight forward as JR.

I don’t think Weisbrod was really the “side kick” he needed.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is he any good at it?  No!  Fire this bum!  He’s been here forever, and he does nothing!  Loved him as a player, but he’s craperolla as a scout, or whatever the hell he does.  Fire Delorme!  

Cool it Alf ,  your teeth are showing !! ;) 

80s birthday GIF

• Haha 3

fantastic news! i was so happy when he was named as interim GM, and quite disappointed when his tenure ended after only a few days, but this makes up for it. Go Steamer! On a bit unrelated note, I just absolutely love this pic of him.

March_wallpaper_1920x1080.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

1.  I think you underestimate the clout that Stan carries here

2.  The moves that took place all started by way of Stan's intervention from what I understand.  I'm quite sure he wouldn't be satisfied as a paper weight.

I feel like this team will be run by committee moving forward...there are good hockey minds that can't be ignored here.  We've seen how that can unfold and I doubt they repeat the same mistakes.

VP makes Smyl an executive.  Whatever Stan did as Interim GM, he opened his mouth and said that the Canucks had drifted from their core values.  This is what I see as one of his core duties as an exec.  As VP Hockey Operations, to Rutherfords, President of Hockey Operations, Steamer will make sure that the moves that are made align with core values.  And that the moves that management makes are not done at the expense of team culture; something that was frittered away over the past couple of seasons.

These are things that having an executive branch to club management can do.  

As for hands on management, that will be up to the future GM and his team.  I see Smyl's duties at a higher level.

Love it. Stan is a great guy. Still remember when I played in a youth hockey camp run by him. Me and another kid got kicked out for getting in a fight, and I'm proud to say it was none other then the man himself who did it lmao. But he was honestly so nice and understanding about it, showed me nothing but respect even in that situation and trust me I showed it to him as well. No arguments from me.  Guy is a gem. Not only that, but I served him Starbucks at Caulfield years later when I worked there! I asked if he remembered me and he did haha

Edited by cdgraham
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I reckon given Rutherford's age and term they are probably grooming Smyl to take over fully as President at some point.

Stan should have been respected to make those kinds of decisions all along.  One of the greatest acts of Canuck leadership in the 50+ years was Stan insisting he shouldn't be captain anymore once he was reduced to a 4th liner in his final year or two.

It's the complete opposite of what Messier did when arriving.  Kevin McCarthy was a great player and great Canuck but he (quietly) asked for a trade once Smyl acquired the C from him in 1982.

Guys in Smyl's position in his last couple years on the ice usually have the C taken from them.  Even happened to Mike Modano.  Stan made a decision about what was best for the team leadership on the ice and a couple years later they were in the Stanley Cup final again led by the guy wearing the "C" that Stan had torn from his own jersey.

I knew Stan was part of the team, but couldn't tell you what exactly he was involved with doing...Now, I do know what Smyl will be up to within the organization. Congrats on the promotion Stan!!

Last week this forum was whining and bitching about how Smyl got shafted when he was outed as interim GM when Rutherford took that from him...less than a week later he gets a promotion to work closely WITH Rutherford, talk about PREmaturely getting bent out of shape CDC...Never change!!!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is he any good at it?  No!  Fire this bum!  He’s been here forever, and he does nothing!  Loved him as a player, but he’s craperolla as a scout, or whatever the hell he does.  Fire Delorme!  

100%
Delorme has been a terrible scout he should have been canned for his crap job during the Gillis era and before. 

stoked for Smyl hes earned it. 

Edited by combover

3 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Yep mr sooth sayer you are so right we should be so concerned our team will be given away for peanuts and it will decades of bottom feeding like the leaves and Coilers.

Not sure how you got that from my post, JR has three more cups than anybody coming from the Canucks side, so he obviously knows what he's doing, I have no fear he'll help this team get there too. I'm just stating what's obvious to me, the people with power in the franchise will be Rutherford's people, not people coming from the Canuck side, as it should be, JR is the President, so he should get to work with the hockey minds he has molded and trusts.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, combover said:

100%
Delorme has been a terrible scout he should have been canned for his crap job during the Gillis era and before. 

stoked for Smyl hes earned it. 

Delorme found Petey, for what it's worth. Yes, I know he wasn't the only one who found him, but he was the loudest voice (according to Benning)

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well deserved for Stan.  Now fire Delorme!  What exactly does he do? 

He puts the "Chief" in chief scout if you know what I mean...

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

4 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Well he was pretty influential in drafting Pettersson 

I heard a rumor that Benning wanted to trade up for Makar and Delorme was debating taking Cody Glass over Petersson when Thomas Gradin convinced them both otherwise.